Is Smoking Permitted? - Page 256 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Is Smoking Permitted?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #2551
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:37 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 116 Times in 103 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Is Smoking Permitted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Billet +7mm stroker crankshaft with full ceramic bearings, ready to go.
Has a 30mm shaft, instead of the OEM 25mm.

Two stroke cranks are so weird. They look massively heavy, making you wonder how they rev so damn good. Helluva piece of hardware you got there, Smoker.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-10-2019, 01:28 PM   #2552
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:37 PM
Flip Offs: 33
Flipped Off 12 Times in 11 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Not a good pic, but these are matched plates, machined from 1/4 inch aluminum, and about 10 inches long. They bolt onto the footpeg brackets.

Appears to me that the footpeg brackets on the frame are bent. Not a lot, but noticeable.

Will bolt these plates onto the footpeg brackets, and use them to measure and square things up.

Wanted to do it before exhaust pipe fab, but didn't have time. Shouldn't matter. Pipe dimensions are off the frame and swingarm.

Smoker is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #2553
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Getting this head ready for the engine build.

The one-off titanium head nuts were machined by Nigel Kimber. Noticed one of the nuts didn't have the same reflective pattern on the head. WTF???

Was looking at it and realized it's too heavy to be titanium. Has to be stainless. Took a look at the Supermoto +4mm engine, and sure enough- there was the missing titanium bolt.

Switched out the bolt. Mystery fuck up solved.

Also received the new machined thermostat cover.

These people High Fived Smoker!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-10-2019, 02:07 PM   #2554
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Bad news!

When I bought these removable domes, I thought they could be machined for any crankshaft. Had them custom anodized to match the other red parts.

Now, I find out they're not the correct domes for a +7mm engine. Well, fuck. Probably won't have time to anodize the new domes. The new domes have machined ribs on the outside, so they're still strong after cutting out more material. Will get a pic, when I can.

Even more bad news. Just another error from much earlier in the build. Had one-off aluminum head washers cut and custom anodized to match.

Now, I'm more cautious, and don't want to use aluminum washers in critical locations.

Will try to get some titanium washers, but they won't have the matching red color.

This user High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #2555
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Larry02ACR's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:37 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
Two stroke cranks are so weird. They look massively heavy, making you wonder how they rev so damn good.
They have to have much larger counterweight/stuffers because the air/fuel charge is drawn into the crankcase, compressed by the crank and forced through the transfer ports into the combustion chamber.

From a mass stand point, they rev well because it's twice the firing impulses. Also you have to take into account a lot of 4 strokes have counterbalancers, whereas not many 2 strokes do, making the gap between rotating mass not quite as large.

From an actual number of revs, 2 strokes rarely rev as high as their 4 stroke counterparts of the same displacement. Just sounds like a lot because of the twice as many power strokes.

For instance my KX250 maxes out at just over 10k, whereas a lot of the 250F MX bikes rev 13k-14k. But, at 10k my bike is firing 10k times, where at 14k a 4 stroke is firing 7k times.

Also why 2 strokes sound so super fucking awesome.
Larry02ACR is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Larry02ACR!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #2556
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

do the domes result in excessive compression ratio with the stroker crank?

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-11-2019, 12:51 PM   #2557
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
do the domes result in excessive compression ratio with the stroker crank?
Excessive compression ratio is an understatement.

The pistons will crash into the domes, unless the domes are machined to accept the longer stroke.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #2558
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

Oh, I was assuming that the extra stroke meant you ran a longer jug, or spacer under it, or raised pin, or something of that sort leading to similar height of piston vs deck.

How do you make up for the 3.5mm extra height? You recess the combustion chamber into the head or something?

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-11-2019, 09:09 PM   #2559
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
How do you make up for the 3.5mm extra height? You recess the combustion chamber into the head or something?
Yep.

Pretty sure spacers aren't good for the port timing on this engine.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #2560
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Fighter of the Month 

Interesting. Port timing will change that way too, of course, in that it'll close earlier/open later (or am I thinking of this wrong?).

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes