Smoker's Custom Motard - Page 6 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Smoker's Custom Motard

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-02-2009, 01:57 AM   #51
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:17 AM
Flip Offs: 34
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here
Default Re: Smoker's Custom Motard

Hardly had any sleep for the past 3 nights because I can't stop thinking about this project (just don't want to miss out on those parts, if I can use them). Today, I drove out to the Aprilia dealer who let me check out the 450 SXV (same frame as the 550 SXV) It's a demo bike, so I could have taken it out for a thrashing, but I was too tired to care.

I only took a ruler, because I didn't think there would be a chance that the RZ engine would fit. But I was wrong. I'm not saying it will work, yet - but I'm not saying it won't work. It's extremely close to not working, though.

I'm going to try to get back to the Aprilia dealer tomorrow, maybe armed with a template or measuring tool that will help me determine if it's worth a shot. The upper engine mounts are extremely close (maybe too close) to where I think the RZ engine head will be. The engine may just be too long, as well, not sure yet.
Smoker is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #52
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

I'm going to try to see the bike again today, armed with this template. (I didn't finish the front of the head/cylinder, but I think it's okay for eyeballing the frame clearance.)

This user High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #53
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Went to look at the Aprilia again.

The engine swap isn't looking good. The distance between the upper frame mounts on the SXV frame are about 6 3/8 inches apart. It looks like they will hit the intakes on the cylinders which are almost 7 inches wide.

If I were able to shave 5/16 inch from each mount, I think there would be enough clearance, but I would need another 1/8 inch per side for a stainless insert - a total of 7/16 inch . Not sure if it's possible to bolt in a stainless plate to reinforce the smaller mount ( I doubt it).

I didn't get the O.D. of the upper mounts, so I'll have to go back and measure again.

Like I said, it's not looking good at this point.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-03-2009, 03:55 AM   #54
Smoker
BLACK BELT

For mounting the front of the RZ engine in the Aprilia frame, I think I could weld brackets to the steel part of the frame to hold two front brackets which would go to the front RZ engine mounts and then to the outside of the aprilia front frame mounts.

The engine weight would be supported by the upper steel frame, the aluminum frame mounts would just triangulate the bracket. I also might be able to use the front brackets to mount the radiator.

The front brackets could be made of round aluminum tubing to match the front of the frame, or made from billet aluminum cut to match the rear of the frame. I think the tubing would look better, though.

Still have to see if there is enough room to cut down the front aluminum brackets on the Aprilia frame.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-03-2009, 04:01 AM   #55
Smoker
BLACK BELT

For mounting the rear of the RZ engine in the Aprilia frame, I'm wondering if it's possible to weld a couple of bosses or tubes onto the back of the RZ engine so the swingarm pivot bolt can go through it, like the Aprilia engine.

Another idea I have is to run a bracket from the mounting points on the rear upper RZ engine to the Aprilia swingarm pivot.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #56
shift1313
GURU

shift1313's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:17 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 6 Times in 6 Posts
shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!

not that i want to rain on your parade because its a cool project but dont get too far ahead of yourself

Part of that frame is cast and may or may not take kindly to modifications if you need to mod/remove material at the rear where the engine goes. You may have a pile of junk before done. I would be willing to bet you could resell some of that stuff for top dollar and buy a complete 4 stroke enduro like an old xt and be much better off with the motor swap/frame mods. Also one thing to consider, even if they dont crack down on the motor swap, insurance for say an 86 xt250 would be much cheaper than an aprilia anything

as a note the 5.5 version runs a 180 rear. i think the 4.5 runs a 150. Dont know for sure but i think the rear arms are different.

I think its a cool project for sure and its certainly one of a kind but dont forget to consider other options.

DRZs are cheap and plentiful and steel frame. Yamaha xt225s are very cheap. KLR250, Any old XR or XL.
shift1313 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #57
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift1313 View Post
not that i want to rain on your parade because its a cool project but dont get too far ahead of yourself

Part of that frame is cast and may or may not take kindly to modifications if you need to mod/remove material at the rear where the engine goes. You may have a pile of junk before done. I would be willing to bet you could resell some of that stuff for top dollar and buy a complete 4 stroke enduro like an old xt and be much better off with the motor swap/frame mods. Also one thing to consider, even if they dont crack down on the motor swap, insurance for say an 86 xt250 would be much cheaper than an aprilia anything

as a note the 5.5 version runs a 180 rear. i think the 4.5 runs a 150. Dont know for sure but i think the rear arms are different.

I think its a cool project for sure and its certainly one of a kind but dont forget to consider other options.

DRZs are cheap and plentiful and steel frame. Yamaha xt225s are very cheap. KLR250, Any old XR or XL.
Yeah, if the Aprilia won't work, I'll probably do the RZ frame with the Aprilia swingarm, linkage, rear shock, subframe, forks, wheels, etc.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #58
Smoker
BLACK BELT

My main fabricator, RGVSteve, says he's ready - and to hurry up and buy the shit, already!

He's way more confident than I am.

Of course - I'm only risking thousands of dollars, no big deal.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-04-2009, 05:28 AM   #59
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Went to see the Aprilia again.

The good news is - the aluminum mounts on the frame are approx. 8 inches on the O.D. That means I should be able to take off enough material to squeeze in the engine.

The bad news is - the Aprilia engine is supposed to bolt between those 2 mounts, which makes the frame stiffer. There may or may not be enough room to run a brace from one mount to the other.

More bad news - I eyeballed the location of the RZ countershaft sprocket center and it looks higher than the swingarm pivot on the SXV frame. That means the engine might need to be lowered a little. That will decrease ground clearance - and it won't look as good.

I still think there is A LOT of potential for a wild ride, so for now - I'm going ahead with the project. I'll do my best to build the motard with high-end and custom parts like on my streetfighter project.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-04-2009, 06:06 AM   #60
Smoker
BLACK BELT

May end up doing a naked or semi-naked motard. I like the way these bikes look when they're stripped down.

These people High Fived Smoker!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes