Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

gas tank cleaning help

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Parky 
#1 ·
hey,
so i'm trying to clean a tank out.
i used evaporust with good results on the places that were clearly rust but no where else.
i think my problem may be a gnarly layer of varnish as some of it peels off like skin, however i'm not sure.

this was taken before the evaporust. looks pretty much the same just not as deeply rusty coloured on the hump and the filler hole is fully bare metal.

problem starts because of this "varnish" layer. PO put red kote in specific areas of the tank. i'm unsure why but am wary to use acetone or mek in the tank in case of pinholes (melting red kote)

didnt use drywall screws because i didn't want to puncture to red kote. loose change in the tank did alright.

suggestions is greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Plain white vinegar and shake around some small nuts or bolts, I prefer small nuts they have a bunch of small edges but shouldnt damage anything......fill with vinegar let sit for.....I dont know a day depending on how rusty it is shake dump out repeat as necessary.....the tirck is to flush very well with gas so there is no vinegar left in the tank and then fill immediatly with gas.

#6 ·
Chain would work well also....I removed the sending unit which happened to be on the side (inside the tunnel) of the tank and just used a extendy magnet to extract the nuts.....guess it depends on the tank I am sure just about anything that will "scrub" the interior would work.

#7 ·
Sounds like there was some form of a tank liner in there.

Depending on how bad it is you can.....

Leave it and run it with a inline fuel filter

take it to a radiator shop and have them Hot Tank it and clean it

Keep rattling shit around in there until you get all the loose shit out then run it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.