Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes - Page 30 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis

Dirty Tards & Minis Everything about dirtbikes, motards and minis goes in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-16-2018, 12:43 AM   #291
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Larry02ACR's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:16 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

I think all the AA riders are on something a little more modern.

But yeah that's a stiffer stack than what came in my KX250 stock, and it's a motocross bike. Or was...

I've thought about getting a license for Restackor, but I just mooch ideas off the suspension gurus over at Thumpertalk, several of which have that program.

I did buy Race Tech's "Motorcycle Suspension Bible." It's a good read, and it is especially good for trying to isolate what circuit needs changing when the suspension is doing something you don't like. It gets into modifications a bit, but it's far more generic than Restackor, which is extremely comprehensive, as long as you feed it the right data.

Right now, I'm pretty happy with my suspension, but I'm the one holding me back on going fast, not the bike. Once I fix that I'll probably reconsider getting Restackor.

Or a newer bike....
Larry02ACR is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Larry02ACR!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #292
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:16 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

I agree that my skill level isn't being held back by anything but me...but I dunno. The things I was feeling yesterday were giving me confidence and traction that I never had before. Maybe it's placebo effect, but I know that one hill I always struggled on was a cake walk yesterday evening. I can feel the rear tire tracking the surface instead of jitterbugging all over. Instead of seeing a root and knowing when you hit it because the bike got knocked off course, now you feel the tire grip and roll over the root while still going straight. 30min of riding gave me a huge confidence boost with very little suspension work. I'm no guru, but I'd say dig in first chance you get, if you're considering it.
shinyribs is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-16-2018, 12:07 PM   #293
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

I've been through mine a few times. First time I did about what you did. I removed three of the compression shims and stuck them on the bottom so the nut would be in the right place.

Second time I believe I changed the thickness on a few in the compression stack, changed the crossover size, and removed the 22 off the rebound stack so that the 24 is the clamp. I didn't think to document it like I did the first time.

Can't really say the back end of the bike does anything I don't like, although it definitely has a traction problem. I think it has more to do with being a 300cc two stroke and my right wrist than the shock.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #294
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

I thought you'd fiddle with this stuff before. Yeah, 300 two stroke cc's is gonna hit the tire hard. Interesting how similar your compression stack is compared to mine ( first stage is 40x8) on two different bikes.
shinyribs is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-16-2018, 08:48 PM   #295
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Fighter of the Month 

Is yours KYB or Showa?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-16-2018, 10:59 PM   #296
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Showa.

Many moons ago Honda and Shows struck a deal. Showa would stop building motorcycles if Honda would stop building their own shocks and use Showa exclusively. You still hardly ever see anything other than Showa on a Honda.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-17-2018, 08:05 PM   #297
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Fighter of the Month 

That does seem pretty interesting on the stacks, as mine is KYB.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-17-2018, 08:27 PM   #298
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Goes to show that oil flow is oil flow regardless of age of technology.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-17-2018, 10:12 PM   #299
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:16 PM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
Showa.

Many moons ago Honda and Shows struck a deal. Showa would stop building motorcycles if Honda would stop building their own shocks and use Showa exclusively. You still hardly ever see anything other than Showa on a Honda.
That's neat. Any idea what an old Showa-built motorbike looks like?

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-17-2018, 11:06 PM   #300
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
That's neat. Any idea what an old Showa-built motorbike looks like?
I dunno a whole lot about Showa bikes, but Ford and Holley did the same deal. Holley quit building cars and Ford exclusively used Holley carburetors till the bitter end when fuel infestation took over.

Here's a 1957 Showa Cruiser

And a 1902 Holley Motorette. All 5 1/2hp of it.

Shit was cool back in the day. Slow, but damn cool.
These people High Fived shinyribs!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis