RZV500 Two-Stroke Roller - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > RZV500 Two-Stroke Roller

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-26-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:15 PM
Flip Offs: 34
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here
Default RZV500 Two-Stroke Roller

Been working on this lately, so I may as well post it up.

The current plan is to build an RZV rolling frame. The RZV (aluminum) frame was only sold in Japan. The rest of the world got steel frames on their RZ500s. I bought this frame from a guy in Japan, and had it shipped to SoCal.

The RZ and RZV have been a dream bike for me since I was a young dude. If I could build a sick custom RZV500, it would be a great personal accomplishment. First, I'd better see if I can just build a sick roller.

Here's the frame. The aluminum is in good condition, but all the steel hardware is rusted out. And that is a problem.

All of the hardware is off, except the linkage bolt that goes through the frame and holds the relay arms. I soaked it in WD40 for 2 days and hit it with the impact gun about a hundred times. Before trying to drill off the bolt head and pounding it out, I tried a breaker bar with a big extension pipe. The bolt didn't move, but I did manage to strip the hex nicely. So, I guess I need to break out the drill. Of course, this special bolt and special nut are no longer available from Yamaha.

Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
fu_jac
Pueling Pueman
CF Addict
fu_jac's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:15 PM
Flip Offs: 124
Flipped Off 55 Times in 27 Posts
fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: RZV500 Two-Stroke Roller

nice!!! this will be one to watch...you're gonna make lots of people jealous if you pull this off, including me
fu_jac is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-27-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fu_jac View Post
nice!!! this will be one to watch...you're gonna make lots of people jealous if you pull this off, including me
If I can pull it off - it will be amazing.

I want to make Cheesus proud!
These people High Fived Smoker!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Sweeeet!

Used a new 11.1mm bit on a hand drill and cut through that rusted bolt like butta!

When I previously tried to remove the nut, the head sheared clean off. The bolt is rusted from tip to tail.

Since the hardware is 'No Longer Available' l'll try to make a replacement bolt, collar, nut, and swingarm pivot bolt - out of titanium.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
94yzf75fighter
GURU
CF Pimp
94yzf75fighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:15 PM
Flip Offs: 39
Flipped Off 61 Times in 21 Posts
94yzf75fighter spends too much time on here94yzf75fighter spends too much time on here94yzf75fighter spends too much time on here94yzf75fighter spends too much time on here94yzf75fighter spends too much time on here94yzf75fighter spends too much time on here94yzf75fighter spends too much time on here94yzf75fighter spends too much time on here94yzf75fighter spends too much time on here94yzf75fighter spends too much time on here94yzf75fighter spends too much time on here

Can't wait to see this. Did you get a title with the frame? You think you're going to have any issues getting it street legal in the good old US of A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFighter View Post
shut the fuck up crybaby, this is MY bike, I prefer it to look like shit and then eat a Busa for breakfast and fart out CBR900RR's mid afternoon. Then have a side order of S1000RR's for dinner! I want to piss on the ego of every douche bag "fast guy" squid in the region.
05 zx636- winter build off fighter project
"The Dedication"- http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=74929
"The Dedication" discussion- http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=74937
94yzf75fighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
blensen
GURU

CF Addict
blensen's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:15 PM
Flip Offs: 12
Flipped Off 4 Times in 4 Posts
blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Used a new 11.1mm bit on a hand drill and cut through that rusted bolt like butta!
So 7/16" then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Since the hardware is 'No Longer Available' l'll try to make a replacement bolt, collar, nut, and swingarm pivot bolt - out of titanium.
Think we all saw that coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate fighter
my throttle response was as fast as an old man with parkinsons trying to put his keys in the door
blensen is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived blensen!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #7
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94yzf75fighter View Post
Can't wait to see this. Did you get a title with the frame? You think you're going to have any issues getting it street legal in the good old US of A?
Very good question.

There's no way to legally register this frame. It may be possible to get it registered and plated - but not where I live. I used to be able to do it, but not any more.

Before things got tight - I managed to import 2 bikes - and got them plated in Cali. The third bike I brought in (NS400R) was a no go - still in the garage unregistered. I have an '87 RZ350 and an '85 RZ500 registered and plated, but not legal. The term is "Improper Registration".

So, this frame will replace my currently registered RZ500 frame. If I lived somewhere else, I could probably go to the CHP and change the frame numbers on the reg to the new frame numbers. If I try that where I live - the CHP will pull the bike off the street for good.

I don't have a good answer to your question, excep that I'm going to build it. Illegal, or not.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #8
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blensen View Post
So 7/16" then?
Yeah.

The bolt is a 10mm - so that's why I said 11.1mm drill bit.
This user High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-28-2014, 04:09 AM   #9
fu_jac
Pueling Pueman
CF Addict
fu_jac's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:15 PM
Flip Offs: 124
Flipped Off 55 Times in 27 Posts
fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

so are you going to sell the rz500 frame??
fu_jac is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived fu_jac!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-28-2014, 05:52 AM   #10
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fu_jac View Post
so are you going to sell the rz500 frame??
I think I'd better hang onto it... might need it, if things go wrong.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes