Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

370steve goes EFeeeeeeeeeeeee

17K views 192 replies 1 participant last post by  370steve 
#1 ·
will post start pics once i am home :oops:

#107 ·
gave the crank case halves a good flush through tonight to make sure there is no blasting medium left in the oil ways.

will re fit the selector drum bearing later, and also try to remove the cylinder block alignment dowl that has seized in place, had it

soaking in penetrating oil, but is refusing to budge!!

#108 ·
morning spent getting engine crank cases back together with final drive in, then on with first attempt at engine fit.

i have had to remove the rear left fixed mount as it was miles out for the bandit motor, but once rear lower mounts were drilled out to 12mm engine

nearly went in!

there was, as i had suspected, a clearance problem between the thick end of the swing arm pivot tube and the bolt casting on the rear of the motor.

out with the grinder, off with some alloy, in with the engine.

chain alignment is almost 100% first attempt, chain over swing arm to front sprocket is better than i had first hoped.

will need to flush the crank cases again before assembly, as lots of dust and grinding matter in them after all the adjustments.

#111 ·
bit of spare time this afternoon, so set about getting the motor bolted in now i am happy with the placement in the frame, made a template out of thin

ally plate, when that was up to scratch i made some real ones out of 6mm alloy plate.

just ruff at the moment, will be giving them a clean up yet. might make the mid side mounting plates later this evening.

#114 ·
Sat in the sun in Benalmedena, Costa del sol, Spain.

Not doing anything bike at the moment 👍.

Phone keeps telling me I have bits getting delivered constantly, so I will have stuff*to be getting on with on my return to England ( braketech discs, tank, side panels. Etc)

Yokes and other parts should be back from anodisers for my return hopefully, so GS will have some work to come also.

#115 ·
well managed to get out of Malaga before they closed it (just) got back early this morning to a back room full of boxes

new tank, panels and seat infills,

Discs are waiting at the local post office, and a nice letter from Royal Mail asking for import VAT and handling (£31) on my

new battery from the US before they will deliver it!

got the tank out to give it the once over, will be putting it back in the box and stashing it just incase i need it in the future

Tank in OEM box from factory

sat them on frame for a look see

#116 ·
today's news is good and bad!! got my Braketech discs through, just to find out they have sent the wrong pattern!

I had asked for the BTR-H5SB-S (Axis superbike) 6.6mm stainless steel ROUND £457.95 each

i got BTR-H5-S (Axis Cobra) Race spec 6mm stainless steel semi narrow track "WAVE" £379.95

Waiting for a reply from Ben at HPS after making a complaint, he said he would contact Braketech for a response!

#118 ·
Have now got it sorted with HPS and Braketech, wires seemed to have been crossed (a few times) in the ordering process!

Braketech are making a batch of the Axis "Superbike" discs in around 4 weeks, Ben at HPS is putting in a request for a set to be reserved for me,

Invoice for difference on its way
Onwards.

#119 ·
Went down to Red6 and collected my yokes and other bits, after they had been to the anodizers, Chatted to Mick for a good while,*

battery box will be getting made later, probably next week when the metal arrives.

ordered a chain and front sprocket from B&C Express, and some bits and bobs for the engine rebuild from Robinsons Foundry.

#120 ·
got more bits today, Li Iron battery and gasket/seals,, sprocket nut.

Battery is tiny and very light, i have ordered a Shorai battery charger with charging lead that plugs into the battery, so once

it is mounted in the bike i wont have to take it out to charge the battery if ever it needs it.

#121 ·
went down to Mick Gardner Racing to get a new lower rate spring fitted to my rear shock, great service as usual from Russ and the team, got them thinking about things with the spring seat, nearly ended up with one from a koenigsegg super car!!!! It wouldnt fit, so had to have an "ordinary" Ohlins one instead.
Collected my Ohlins paddock mat whilst there, it now has pride of place in my "office" :)
Cheers guys.

#122 ·
as i had the shock back it was only logical to get it fitted and see how she stands.

put her clothes on for the shoot, also fitted the headlamp, will be getting the mount modified, or a new mount made so it sits closer in to the forks/steering head.

overall though i think the stance is good, and feels right when i am sat on her.

#123 ·
yesterdays "working from home" effort was to have a look at ways to get the h/lamp to sit closer to the forks and slightly higher.

took the mount off the bottom of the lamp and found that if i turn it by 90deg, shamfer top*edge, and then drill a fixing hole for the bolt, it

should work a treat,*

then set about frame with angle grinder and cutting disc, have removed the cross bar between the down tubes in front of the engine, to see if it would make getting the exhaust on easier, attempted to fit both of the systems that i have attained so far for the build, unfortunately neither is going to fit! so it looks like it is going to have to be a trip to Racefit for a custom Legend system.

#125 ·
finished the modification to the h/lamp mount, now sits much much better, slightly higher and also now very close to steering head,

not much space left behind to look odd.

also got the rear sets adjusted to take the Brembo M/cylinder, only thing that still needs doing is the axis pin between the m/c and the brake lever, it is 8mm and the M/c only has a 6mm hole, will get a new pin made with a step and a top hat spacer.

#126 ·
Just received a call from Giles at BikeHPS, my Braketech Superbike discs are in and will be dispatched today, for next day delivery.

Although it looks like build is going to be moved onto the back burner very soon!

I have been informed from work that we are on "4 days notice to move" for help to the civil powers, so good chance that i will be doing something non bike related

for the foreseeable if it happens!!

keep your heads down, stay well

#128 ·
crank came in post today :)
next thing is to find someone with a faceplate and "V" blocks big enough to check it for true before thinking
about any fitting.
Phoned Amec Engineering, they are on with my head, doing catch up work at the moment, at least they are still working!!
they said they will let me know when it is getting near done.

Auto part Crankshaft Gear Automotive engine part Transmission part

#130 ·
wanted to get on with something today, but just what to do?

lots to be getting on with, although i just haven't got motivation, in the required quantities at the moment it would seem.

so i did a bit of reading up on changing over the rods onto the new crank, on thing led to another and i put down the books and got

to work on the real stuff.

when i removed the old rods from the crank i was surprised to find the shells looked brand new!! could hardly find any witness marks any where on them.*

so fitted them to the new rods, they will be a great start point, and did a test build.

still need to get the plastiguage and the feeler gauges on them, but all feels good and snug.

#131 ·
todays forage into the shed had me do the oil clearance checks on the rods big ends,

all were well within working spec's, towards the lower end of the allowable clearance*scale, so well pleased with that.

once the motor rear mounts are made and welded in place, I will look to do the crank shell oil clearances, but i think i will

be looking at a bigger job with them, as the crank is out of a different motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.