Putting my VFR back together - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > General Streetfighter Discussion

General Streetfighter Discussion Discussions about streetfighter riding.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Putting my VFR back together

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-27-2019, 04:45 PM   #1
ilcylic
Armourer
Noobie
Local Time: 12:41 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
ilcylic is a NOOB
Default Putting my VFR back together

So, a couple of years ago (2012) I got a '95 VFR750F, rode it a couple of times, and then took it apart to put taller bars on it and mod the exhaust... and then I got a divorce and it's just sort of sat there, in pieces, ever since.

I've gotten a bug to put it back together, so I've been working on some designs for a new subframe. I wanted something a touch taller than stock, 'cause I'm huge, and I really like the look of some of the super-stubby stuff I've seen here. I worked through a couple of ideas, looking at pics of various subframes I'd glommed from online, trying to figure out the bits I liked, and the bits I didn't like, and what I could (probably) make with the tools I have.

I finally came up with something I like. Here's a pic of the model I made in Solidworks.

This has about an inch and a half of lift, and the seat section is about 12 inches long. There's also the beginnings of the battery box in there, but I haven't finished that part of the model yet.

What do y'all think?

Not sure what the issue with the pic is, here's a direct link: http://izmm.com/bikestuff/subframe_9_1_alt-1.JPG

--Ogre

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of Man." -- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by ilcylic; 03-27-2019 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Trying to get my image to work
ilcylic is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived ilcylic!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-27-2019, 06:58 PM   #2
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict
JamesHambleton's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:41 AM
Flip Offs: 9
Flipped Off 8 Times in 5 Posts
JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Putting my VFR back together

Looking forward to your build - also your image won't load here because it's not hosted on a domain that is https
JamesHambleton is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-27-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
ilcylic
Armourer
Noobie
ilcylic is a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHambleton View Post
Looking forward to your build
Thanks! Me too. What do you think of the design? Or can you not actually click on the link because of the lack of https?

Quote:
your image won't load here because it's not hosted on a domain that is https
Ahhh. Hrm, I guess I should fix that, anyway. Excellent, thanks for the info.

--Ogre

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of Man." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-28-2019, 12:46 AM   #4
rex_saugerty
V four honda whore
rex_saugerty's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:41 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 39 Times in 38 Posts
rex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Someone said vfr???

1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0
rex_saugerty is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-28-2019, 04:02 AM   #5
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict
JamesHambleton's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:41 AM
Flip Offs: 9
Flipped Off 8 Times in 5 Posts
JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

He miss typed rvf go back to bed 😉
JamesHambleton is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-28-2019, 06:24 AM   #6
ilcylic
Armourer
Noobie
ilcylic is a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHambleton View Post
He miss typed rvf go back to bed 😉
It's true. It's actually a Hdona RVF705V, I just have horrible lysdexia. :P

--Ogre

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-28-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
rex_saugerty
V four honda whore
rex_saugerty's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:41 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 39 Times in 38 Posts
rex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Damn you

1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0
rex_saugerty is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-29-2019, 04:11 AM   #8
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:41 AM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 71 Times in 42 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

sub looks tits dude. will it match the bike?
tldave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-31-2019, 10:52 AM   #9
ilcylic
Armourer
Noobie
ilcylic is a NOOB

Match in terms of "fit"? It should, I took a lot of measurements before I started making models.

Match in terms of aesthetics... well, I hope so.

Although I just did more work on the battery compartment, and I think I'm going to need to rotate it 90 degrees to make it fit. Apparently those underside tubes are really close together.

--Ogre

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-31-2019, 09:46 PM   #10
ilcylic
Armourer
Noobie
ilcylic is a NOOB

OK. I had to widen the lower tubes to fit the battery box in. I also added the stop / turn / tail units. No, I didn't model both sides because dealing with those 3 dimensional curves is a pain.

I'm also working on a version where the tubes are the same as before, but I rotate the battery box to make it fit. I haven't gotten that far on that one yet, so I'll post those pics later.

--Ogre

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > General Streetfighter Discussion