08 650r Street fighter - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Help Needed!

Streetfighter Help Needed! Need help with your 'fighter? Ask for help in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > 08 650r Street fighter

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-28-2019, 12:03 AM   #1
xComeback23
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 03:29 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
xComeback23 is a NOOB
Default 08 650r Street fighter

Hey guys, so I decided to pull the trigger and covert my 08 ninja 650 into a street fighter. This my very first bike and project bike. There is not a lot of information on how to turn this model into a street fighter or specific instructions. Can anyone help me out with some helpful information! First, I changing the handle bar but I wanted to know which one you guys recommend for commuting and occasionally long riding. Second, what headlight do you guys recommend? Finally, any ideas how to mount both the headlight and speedometer? Any helpful information appreciated it and if possible links to the products you guys recommend. p.s for budget I want to keep it under 400 dollars if possible. Thank YOU!!
xComeback23 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #2
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Lover
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:29 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: 08 650r Street fighter

https://www.customfighters.com/forum...d.php?t=136924 tldave is working on one, and I think has done others before

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-29-2019, 02:59 AM   #3
xComeback23
NoObie
Noobie
xComeback23 is a NOOB

Thank you!!!!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-29-2019, 04:06 AM   #4
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:29 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 67 Times in 39 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

done a bunch of them. Couldn't recommend any specific bars. I prefer drag bars, and I just pull the throttle and grip on clutch side, and bend the bars till they are exactly where they should be. just go back and forth with a pipe, gently moving them till they are right. then put your stuff back on. stock bar position points your elbows into your ribs, and it sucks. push the stock bars forward, and down slightly to flatten them, and you might like them more. I have seen risers make a huge difference in comfort though. so if you don't like leaning over, or go with a straighter bar, or modify it to straighten it a bit, and put some big fat risers on it to pull it closer to you.

headlight is dealers choice. I use sv650/gs500 headlights cause they are metal and have nice glass lenses. sometimes they are hard to find. you can also use either the gs500 mounts or the sv mounts. it is a larger 7" bucket. cheap chinese 5" buckets look decent too, its more about mounting them. If you wanted to go er6n, that is probably the best looking option for a naked ninja, but it costs some money. and it takes a little but of trimming, and clever work to get the radiator shrouds to work on the ninja 650. I would also recommend not mixing er6n radiator shrouds with round headlights. it doesn't look good. check my build. I just pull stuff out of my parts piles and build stuff. I will post some pics of some others I have built.
tldave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-29-2019, 09:48 AM   #5
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Lover
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 3
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

you can get bikemaster bars for $20 or so if you don't wanna deal with bending. they're adequate and they have a bunch of options.

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-30-2019, 04:01 AM   #6
xComeback23
NoObie
Noobie
xComeback23 is a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tldave View Post
done a bunch of them. Couldn't recommend any specific bars. I prefer drag bars, and I just pull the throttle and grip on clutch side, and bend the bars till they are exactly where they should be. just go back and forth with a pipe, gently moving them till they are right. then put your stuff back on. stock bar position points your elbows into your ribs, and it sucks. push the stock bars forward, and down slightly to flatten them, and you might like them more. I have seen risers make a huge difference in comfort though. so if you don't like leaning over, or go with a straighter bar, or modify it to straighten it a bit, and put some big fat risers on it to pull it closer to you.

headlight is dealers choice. I use sv650/gs500 headlights cause they are metal and have nice glass lenses. sometimes they are hard to find. you can also use either the gs500 mounts or the sv mounts. it is a larger 7" bucket. cheap chinese 5" buckets look decent too, its more about mounting them. If you wanted to go er6n, that is probably the best looking option for a naked ninja, but it costs some money. and it takes a little but of trimming, and clever work to get the radiator shrouds to work on the ninja 650. I would also recommend not mixing er6n radiator shrouds with round headlights. it doesn't look good. check my build. I just pull stuff out of my parts piles and build stuff. I will post some pics of some others I have built.

I was looking at this headlight but I am not 100% sure if it will fit or how i would even connect it to the existing wiring harnesses for the headlight.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...L3BLSNBC&psc=1

Lets say this will fit and I am able to wire it up it, It already has the mounting brackets, I would just have to make my own brackets for the speedometer right? Sorry for all the noobie questions I really want to learn how to work on bikes.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-31-2019, 12:14 AM   #7
Mongoose
GURU

CF Addict
Mongoose's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 7 Times in 7 Posts
Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

think of it less of working on bikes.. and more finding a solution to a problem.. 9 times outta 10 that's what you're doing..

usually you have a part you want to use and between the certain bike, the part, and what you thinks looks best.. a definitive set of instructions is hard to come by. just use your imagination, and dont over think things... wiring is easy.. left signal wires go to the left signal right to the right.. headlight to the headlight..

but you're on the right track... best way to start is to blow the bike apart to actually see what you're working with imo.
Mongoose is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Mongoose!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-31-2019, 01:51 AM   #8
tldave
CF Addict
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-31-2019, 01:56 AM   #9
tldave
CF Addict

yeah you'll have to make your own brackets. I used 2 pieces of alum and curved them, screwed them into the bottom of the triple, and just bolted the gauges to them with the stock gauge bolts. only held on with 2, just fine. some people mount the gauges to the top of the bar mounts. or the back of the headlight bucket. you just have to figure out what you are doing and make it work. if you run a windscreen or not changes shit. I am still fucking with this bike. swapping rotors out, or painting rotors black. painting lower forks black. painting lower triples black. putting er6n headlight and shroud on it. just going full fuck it.

looks great from the side, and fucking garbage from the front.

gonna have to figure it out. not a fan. I hate this bike lol.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-02-2019, 11:49 PM   #10
xComeback23
NoObie
Noobie
xComeback23 is a NOOB

Hey guys, so I decided to go with this headlight, it got pretty good reviews and it looks good in my own opinion!

https://www.amazon.com/Headlights-7-...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Starting Wednesday I will start to take things apart and get started! I hope i can figure out the wiring and that it not too complicated. I did take lots of notes on how to make the brackets so I feel confident about that!
This user High Fived xComeback23!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Help Needed!