Cannot for the life of me bleed my brakes - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension

Brakes and Suspension Anything to do with fabricating and modifying brakes and suspension goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Cannot for the life of me bleed my brakes

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-24-2019, 09:00 AM   #11
jfizzle232
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 07:19 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
jfizzle232 is a NOOB
Default Re: Cannot for the life of me bleed my brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
I'd go with this idea. I'd be very surprised if your still chasing air bubbles after two bottles of fluid. I'd guess you need a rebuild kit for the matter cylinder at the minimum. I once had a brake circuit would never build pressure, even after installing a rebuild kit in it. I ended up having to lightly hone bore for it to seal properly and make pressure.
I'm going to hope its actually just some air stuck somewhere near the master cylinder that hasn't come out. It would be mighty unlucky if the master cylinder needed a rebuild though, I'm just changing lines and brakes had good pressure before, but I'll keep that possibility in mind.
jfizzle232 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-24-2019, 01:48 PM   #12
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:19 AM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 22 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

It would not be that unusual. When bleeding, the lever will come back all the way to the bar which it won't usually do. Plenty of chance to damage the seal. Or as it's been dry, the seals may have dried out. Won't cost you anything to pop the circlip out and have a look.

Or keep pumping gallons of fluid through, hoping for a different result.

Also would not be unusual to have a deformed copper washer. They can be just bad enough to let air in but not leak a noticeable amount of fluid.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived a_morti!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-24-2019, 06:50 PM   #13
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:19 AM
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

master cylinder will have bleed nipples too, need to do them and all of the banjo bolts
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-24-2019, 06:54 PM   #14
yantosh

yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

can see the top bleed nipple here

Click image for larger version

Name:	zx10r masters.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	104264
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-24-2019, 09:39 PM   #15
Mongoose
GURU

CF Addict
Mongoose's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:19 PM
Flipped Off 7 Times in 7 Posts
Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

is that an 04? i was going to say that too but googled it and looks like they didnt swap over to a radial setup at that time.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-25-2019, 06:01 AM   #16
yantosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
is that an 04? i was going to say that too but googled it and looks like they didnt swap over to a radial setup at that time.
yeah, looks like 2006 for radial master, still needs bled at all banjo bolts tho
This user High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-27-2019, 08:46 PM   #17
Murder Cycle
9rguy

Noobie
Murder Cycle's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Murder Cycle is a NOOB

I ran duel lines on my zx9. Same issue there. I simply cracked the banjo bolt at the top like you would on the bleeder at the caliper. It gets the air out of the master. You will get lever pressure. Bleed at calipers after it stiffens up from bleeding you master and your good to go. If it still feels a little soft repeat process at master.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Murder Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #18
jfizzle232
NoObie
Noobie
jfizzle232 is a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder Cycle View Post
I ran duel lines on my zx9. Same issue there. I simply cracked the banjo bolt at the top like you would on the bleeder at the caliper. It gets the air out of the master. You will get lever pressure. Bleed at calipers after it stiffens up from bleeding you master and your good to go. If it still feels a little soft repeat process at master.

Bled all the banjos a few times, still absolutely ZERO pressure. I'm going to go with the master cylinder rebuild since I don't really see any other option.

A thought I had, When I got the bike the guy who fixed it before me made it just passable to ride. One of the brake calipers wasn't connected and I assumed the previous owner didn't want to shell out money for 2 brake lines or maybe he didn't know it had 2 calipers when he bought the brake lines. But maybe it's something else. Is it possible that the caliper has an air leak somewhere? There are no fluid leaks but could air get in through a worn seal or something? Perhaps that's why that caliper was not connected to the brake system.

Sorry for the kinda dumb questions, I've honestly never had a problem with bleeding brakes and haven't yet needed to troubleshoot something like this up until now. Every brake system I've bled (besides this one, clearly) was pretty straightforward.
This user High Fived jfizzle232!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #19
jfizzle232
NoObie
Noobie
jfizzle232 is a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
can see the top bleed nipple here

Attachment 104264
Is that an 05? I could've sworn there was no bleed nipple on my master. Bike is stored in a friends garage so I'll triple check tomorrow.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-28-2019, 01:21 PM   #20
Murder Cycle
9rguy

Noobie
Murder Cycle's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Murder Cycle is a NOOB

Just make sure all of your banjo washers are good. Assuming you got new lines you have new washers. If you dont have new washers get some if your waiting for parts anyway.

Murder Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension