Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Ahks' "Not a Speed Triple"

102K views 416 replies 52 participants last post by  Ahks 
#1 ·
Since I'm tearing the bike down and last time I did this I didn't have a bike for over a year I figure I'll start a thread where I can get :fu:'s for not getting off my ass to DW :)

Heres what I brought home 2 weeks ago

Rode the pants off of it ...
Heres it's pants

Googled around for some inspiration...

Started buying parts... Thanks Purpony :)

Found a "matching" wheel on another forum...

Rode it one last time before putting it in the basement...

And it's home till it's done.

Wonder if this was part of the inspiration for the new headlight design on the new S3's

Heres some photoshopping of ideas...

And after a bit of work, here's how it sites

See less See more
#129 ·
:thumbsup:
Still coming together. On track to make my goal of basically having it done (less the shit I don't have cash for and some electronics) by the end of my week off

I'm now on my 4th idea for paint... :nuts:

I'm just going to do plastidip... so I can change it again half way thru summer :p I obviously don't know what I want for real paint.

#135 ·
More work
Picked up a one piece 3:1 header but the oil cooler lines can't route around or thru it like it does OE... Will attack that at some point when I can throw some new lines or something. For now the 3:1 goes on the wall... and the 4 piece header/collector system gets worked on.

Old stuff is pretty gross looking.

So chucked a wire wheel in the drill press and DW while listening to the Wings lose again.

Did the rest

I think I want to leave them bare... maybe work at polishing them. Or work at polishing the 1 piece unit till I can figure out the oil lines.

#138 ·
Taking a break from snaking the wiring around to toss the chain on. I think they gave me too many links...

I think I have the eccentric backed off all the way... but... I dunno.

Find something softer to use as a drift... work it in the other direction... the eccentric isn't exactly the most intuitive of devices. Getting the chain to tighten up now.

Now on to figuring out wtf the earth points are on the motor/chassis :p

#139 ·
The earthing on these is a freaking mess. It goes into that earth block by your right knee, across the bike to the area of the sprocket cover where a bolt holds about three wires and then returns back up to the battery. I chopped out loads of wire just by having two eyes on the battery which might not be OK for a factory to do but I was happy with it.

#140 ·
It goes into that earth block by your right knee
Is there an emoticon for an uncomprehending blank stare? I don't see anything like that.

For grounds, other than the battery (-) terminal all I have are these 2

Is the one loop with 3+ wires attached the earth block you're talking about?

Also,
First time riveting a master... Does this look right?

#141 ·
That one with 3 wires, follow it back to a blue or black plastic block. The black one iirc was actually a fire hazard and should be chopped and replaced. There are many wires in and one/two coming out. That's your earth block. Ideally splice all those together with something better and go direct to the battery.

Otherwise yes you've found what I mean. They mount to one bolt maybe on the generator and return back to the battery. It's also earthing the whole engine and starter too. For me the cable might be big enough for the main earth but is also doing or those other three as well. I really think that's one of the reasons why these aren't easy to start and chew sprag clutches.

Rivet looks nicely done to me. If anything maybe a hair overtightened? Hard to tell but seems well to me.

Reactions: Ahks
#143 ·
Looks good! Im no help with the grounds.

The chain rivet looks nicely flared. To check if it too tight, measure the link width of the riveted joint, and one of the factory riveted joints, should be very close, maybe +/- .010.

#145 ·
Spent more money. Decided that I'm doing plastidip for now. Some folks on the DipYourCar forums have been experimenting with custom colors using pearl powder as the sole tint, one guy used PC powder as a tint and it provided color and a texture problem. Performix provides "tints" for their clear so you can mix up your own and a few other tint options out there have been tested MIXOL brand tints come to mind.

But since my buddy hooked me up with a pile of pearls to play with I bought a couple gallons of dip :) I'm gonna buy a small touch up sprayer so I can mix some tiny test batches of dip/pearl and see what I have to work with.

Other than that... Wiring. Got everything accounted for except for 1 connector. And nevermind it just dawned on me what it's for. Rear wheel speed sensor... :p Have a few pictures anyway

Still need to modify the harness for the new hardware up front. But I've got cheat sheets for that and will be printing that out soon to get cracking on it.

Also started laying my base coat of dip on the rear wheel... Spent the little bit of my only remaining can.

I am picking up a roll of blue tape with my next shopping spree at HomeDepot :p
Front and rear wheels will have a white base coat and depending on what color I end up with for the body work I may just gloss over them a bit or something else. I dunno yet.

Picked up oil and filter too :D

Still need
brake fluid (calls for DOT4, DOT5.1 is compatible with 4 right? DOT5 is not? I think I read somewhere that the DOT4 and 5.1 compresses a tiny bit to give you some lever feel. 5 doesn't at all and can cause problems for a rider)
Coolant
sort headlight mounting... still...
new brake line
put in the dyna beads...
sort wiring for the new gauge and speed sensor
I think thats it? Probably not... ;)

#146 ·
brake fluid (calls for DOT4, DOT5.1 is compatible with 4 right? DOT5 is not? I think I read somewhere that the DOT4 and 5.1 compresses a tiny bit to give you some lever feel. 5 doesn't at all and can cause problems for a rider)
Google to the rescue.

Has nothing to do with it being compressible... because it isn't.

5 is silicone based and causes a nasty reaction with polyethylene glycol based DOT3,4,5.1 and gums up in lines.

The pudding that came out of the rear brake lines tells me a previous owner mixed 4/5.1 and 5...

Awesome...

#147 ·
Nifty trick for quickly painting a rim that has a tire on it. Stick playing cards down in the bead. Overlap them and work your way around the rim. Slap some paint on, let it dry, and pull the cards out.

#149 ·
Good height?

Wow can you see the color difference in the florescent lights vs the incandescent...

Using conduit hangars as fork clamps since my turn signals fit almost perfectly in them and the tab can be used to mount the headlight with some aluminum stock.

Picked up a sheet of aluminum to start on clocks mount as well. Hope to have this light mounted tonight :party-smiley:

#152 ·
Fucked up one of the turn signals, those conduit hangars look like shit and are a pain in the ass, wasted a ton of time on all that :/ Gonna try my hand at these (http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46854) again tomorrow with 3/4"x1/8" stock instead of 1"x1/8" I tried before.

Started on the speedo bracket...

Really light gauge sheet so I'm reinforcing it with 1/8" flat stock, just gonna join it with screws, nuts and locktite

#155 ·
Yeah... so this was shitty

Mount posts of the speedo decided to fall off... I thought maybe it was my bad, torquing them down to tight or using a screw too big...

But I took one of them between my fingers and rolled it a bit... it started falling apart... out of curiosity, I did it with the rest of them.

Put a few more coats on the rear wheel...

#158 ·
Folk put grease on the rubber pins to keep them easy to fit. But they use mineral grease or petroleum jelly and it eats the plastic over time. If I'm right you'll also find the rubbers on the clocks in bad condition. Silicon or red rubber grease only on such applications!

Damn shame you've had to pay of someone else's fuck up in this way :(

Reactions: Ahks
#159 ·
Forced myself to put a couple hours in since weathers getting close to something resembling spring.

Mounts look like shit, but I'm gonna leave em raw and unfinished for now I think. Doing an a-frame configuration for stability. Have to grind the corners off then maybe a shot of black paint to hide some of the ugly.

Started to put fluid in the rear brake to bleed it but the bleeder is stuck so it's soaking in penetrating oil. Got a measurement for the front brake line and am gonna go order that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.