Matty`s sunk cost fallacy (Bashan street quad) - Page 3 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Other Motorcycle Discussion

Other Motorcycle Discussion Anything about any other type of motorcycle goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Matty`s sunk cost fallacy (Bashan street quad)

View Poll Results: Which road to take?
Fix`n flip 2 28.57%
Full custom rebuild 2 28.57%
No fucks hoontrike 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-19-2019, 06:29 PM   #21
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:42 PM
Flip Offs: 25
Flipped Off 34 Times in 22 Posts
Mattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Matty`s China Street Quad

Suppose I should check the tolerances if I find the specs somewhere. And yea I like to call it riding the inspiration, at some point it fades off and I go make a spontanious recurve bow or some other stupid shit I got absolutely zero use for but kinda want, then a single thought one day rekindles the spark to work on this and so on, kinda learnt over the years to not fight it and go with the flow.

Bashan BS200-S7 '07 Street Quad
Ex: Benelli Tornado 900 '06
Ex:Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA '02
Ex:Honda CBR 600 F2 '91
Mattson is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Mattson!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-19-2019, 10:58 PM   #22
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:42 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattson View Post
kinda learnt over the years to not fight it and go with the flow.

Wise words, my friend I struggled with "failed projects" and feeling guilty over it for a long time. But you're right. Do what makes oyu happy.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #23
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Test fitting a six-hunnid gixxer kat-can. You know, for the lolz. Got one in the shelf and the shape seems to fit quite nicely, just need to cut a bit off the swing guard plastic thingy to get it to rise a bit higher. Not a hunnid per cent of it`s inspectability but if it bounces a new full original pipe is 60 european, problem is that and the accel pumped keihin won`t fit in the same space but I`ll figure sth out.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-23-2019, 07:58 AM   #24
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Did a jump-test, the gixxer can will not even clear a speedbump so off with that and some choppy choppy noise time with the original one.

Fo fux sake... They didn't even bother cleaning the weld seams from the end piece significantly reducing the cross section.

Marginally better.

New pipe taking shape. Left it there for now cause I need to make a joint there or the finished pipe will be impossible to remove, and I don't yet have the end muffler (as I haven't decided on which to use)

Threw the front plastics on to see if the lights work. Apparently either some of the boxes are busted or I made a mistake with the wiring harness as the whole quad is as dead as a stone...

Also noticed at least the intake valve having some rust on it after sitting outside. Really not feeling popping the head and lapping the valves but we'll see...

Probly not a whole lot happening for a while as I need to order this that and the other to get forward and got zero loose funds ATM.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-23-2019, 05:05 PM   #25
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Even though the main plastics are still the wrong color it`s starting to resemble a little more of what I envision in my head a street quad should look like. More avid followers might recognize the pair of mirrors that got a certain Daytona through inspection. With this thing you can actually see behind you through thema instead of admiring your massive biceps.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-01-2019, 04:05 PM   #26
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Man I`ll tell you this little fucker has kept me running in circles for weeks, been a ridiculous uphill battle to get it to this state. At first I sort of figured to just hush about it but figured what the hell if someone else avoids doing the same mistakes then it`s worth it to share...

So anyway whoever painted, or more precisely spraybombed, the part black at first didn`t apparently bother with keying the surface or doing any prep work what so fukken ever so the paint pretty much fell off when I started sanding it. Then when I applied the first coat of paint all past sins were showing through so bad I ended up watersanding and painting it three times to get the finish I wanted, applied the fourth layer of paint, looked at it quite pleased and dropped the wet part onto the cruddy garage floor mat. I then had to wait for weeks as the acrylic paint I used seemed to cure for fukken ages and started to "roll" whenever I tried sanding it again. Finally got the part smooth again, sprayed it to near perfection, waited a couple days to be sure then started applying the graphics. I don`t remember exactly what went wrong with the left side sticker but I had to get it off, which is when I discovered if you pull this tape, ALL of the glue gets left behind. No biggie I got this spray that`s spesificly made to remove sticker glue from painted surfaces, spray on a layer, wait the two minutes it says in the tin, started wiping it and hey the fucking paint is coming off along with the glue!!! Waited another week letting the part dangle over a wall radiator to properly cure, spent two nights to watersand it to perfection again, mask as well as I could, painted the left side again after fetching another can of the same paint from the city, looks good, go lay a log, come back and whaddayaknow the paint is boiling like the surface has silicone it in! At this point I was quite ready to jump on it but got too much money invested so let it cure yet again, watersanded the scabby part down no matter as it was left under the sticker, apply the graphics and here we are all ready for the clearcoat. Wanna take guesses on what I fuck up with that?! It still has a few minor shadows from the paint spray but I`m sort of hoping the clearcoat will fade those away (and yes I made a test piece to make sure the print will not dissolve onto the lacquer)

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-02-2019, 12:40 AM   #27
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:42 AM
Flip Offs: 36
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Hard work is paying off.

Headlight shroud looks primo.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-04-2019, 05:11 PM   #28
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Dammit in for a penny in for a pound... Just ordered pretty much the entire new electrical system while they`re still available, parts for these are so dirt cheap it doesn`t make any sense not to replace anything even slightly suspicious before they become a problem... The general emergency flasher/lighting relay was not available where I ordered so hoping that`s still a runner, just need to replace the 9-pin plug as it`s currently hardwired as the original plug had melted.

My new battery box arrived today, I believe some of you might have seen one of these before. Cheap, durable and waterproof, what`s not to like. Might give if a round of matte black though, not too keen on the green.

Snug as a bug... With extra space for tools, spare plug etc. Just need to figure out how to mount it.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-06-2019, 09:48 AM   #29
929_adam
Eff Tee Pee
929_adam's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:42 PM
Flip Offs: 501
Flipped Off 166 Times in 132 Posts
929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Parts are so cheap because they’re made cheap. Do yourself a favor and CHECK all the electrical stuff before installing. Give an eye over the soldering and connections, make sure everythings tight etc etc.

Gavin Wayne Butts - Greencheezeeta - 10/5/83 - 9/8/09 RIP My Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpls|cafe|racer
"Knowledge is knowing that you know nothing." That's a motto to live by. There's always someone out there better, more knowledgable, faster, etc. and you can always learn and improve...
AFF.COM
929_adam is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-06-2019, 10:43 AM   #30
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

That goes without saying. The other reason is the parts aren't model, or even make spesific as a wide variety of quads from different manufacturers (Comanche, Fude, Bashan, Tyscon, Rally, Helkama...) used the exact same parts. The only parts NOT available anymore are the model spesific ones, namely the plastics and seat.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Other Motorcycle Discussion