Matty`s sunk cost fallacy (Bashan street quad) - Page 7 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Other Motorcycle Discussion

Other Motorcycle Discussion Anything about any other type of motorcycle goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Matty`s sunk cost fallacy (Bashan street quad)

View Poll Results: Which road to take?
Fix`n flip 2 28.57%
Full custom rebuild 2 28.57%
No fucks hoontrike 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-01-2020, 07:03 PM   #61
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:47 PM
Flip Offs: 25
Flipped Off 34 Times in 22 Posts
Mattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Matty`s China Street Quad

Well this wasn`t exactly a pleasant find while taking the right side front suspension apart...

Luckily it sticks to magnet so it`s made of some (poor) form of steel...

Not perfect but good enough.

Apparently the right front corner has received a proper crash at some point. I reckon that too can be bended back when given the opportunity to make some noise in the garage.

The lower arm however might actually need replacing... I didn`t take pictures of it but the balljoint is totally gone and the whole arm appears bent as well. They do sell the joint separately but I haven`t yet figured out how to swap it as the original one seems to be hammer forged in place so a bit unsure how to get it out without irreversably damaging the swingarm.

The whole garage was getting covered with orange dust so decided to add a bit more flare to the color scheme :hehe: Weird stuff that hitemp paint, dries up almost instantly after spraying it on.

Bashan BS200-S7 '07 Street Quad
Ex: Benelli Tornado 900 '06
Ex:Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA '02
Ex:Honda CBR 600 F2 '91
Mattson is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Mattson!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #62
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

AAAAAAAAARGHHHH!!!!!¡!!!1!!!!

This blasted contraption is SERIOUSLY messing with my zen!!! No matter what I do I cannot get it to rev past five-is thousand rpm!!! Maybe it's the jetting, swapped jetting, did absolutely nothing. Maybe it's the pod filter, removed the filter, did absolutely nothing. Maybe it's the carb, shelled out on a second brand new OEM carb, still absolutely nothing!!! No matter what I do the symptoms remain exactly the same, starts right away, idles like a champ but when I give it the beans it goes rrrapapapapa til 5k rpm and fluctuates up and down in that area. The only things I can think of anymore are; either it's electrical BUT: wiring harness brand new, CDI brand new, coil brand frikken new! OR the homemade exhaust is not flowing enough thus resulting in an incomplete flush cycle at revs. Guess the next thing is to reassemble the front suspension partly using old parts to wheel the thing out and see if it revs with first only the front part of the exhaust and then completely without it. If that does it, gonna order a new poop tube and be done with it. I haven't checked the valve clearances but since it starts right away and doesn't knock they should be good right? AFAIK valve lash cannot prevent the engine from revving.

Another thing is the company I've been waiting the rear brake parts from. I contacted them at 3.6. if they'd kindly re-send me the package and added a few more things I need, have not received a reply. I went to their website and it says there that they will be closed from 4th of june til 17th of MAY! I'm reeeeally hoping that's a typo or I'll be waiting for my parts for another YEAR!!! Starting to seem I'm gonna need to order the parts from elsewhere but the problem is these things are getting pretty rare so I need to collect parts from here there and elsewhere paying shipping fees from each part separately at the same time tying precious few resources into parts I've already paid for, and then try to get the original purchase refunded once they eventually open again.

Completely DONE with rebuilding this thing, I wanna RIDE!!!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #63
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Just pulled the plug to confirm what I was already dead sure about. I cannot post a picture as my allowed server space is currently at capacity so need to clean up there but I can tell you in my years I have never pulled a plug that black and sooty off a four stroke engine so based on that I`d say if that`s running lean then I`m the sultan of Brunei.

The next question is WHY since I`m running a stock carb?!?!?! Can the underslung exhaust restrict that much?! Tomorrow gonna find out, first without the end can then without the whole exhaust, if it starts to rev the answer is quite clear.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-10-2020, 04:16 PM   #64
Sukkaha
Fighter In Training
Local Time: 07:47 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sukkaha is a splendid one to beholdSukkaha is a splendid one to beholdSukkaha is a splendid one to beholdSukkaha is a splendid one to beholdSukkaha is a splendid one to beholdSukkaha is a splendid one to beholdSukkaha is a splendid one to beholdSukkaha is a splendid one to beholdSukkaha is a splendid one to beholdSukkaha is a splendid one to beholdSukkaha is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattson View Post
Just pulled the plug to confirm what I was already dead sure about. I cannot post a picture as my allowed server space is currently at capacity so need to clean up there but I can tell you in my years I have never pulled a plug that black and sooty off a four stroke engine so based on that I`d say if that`s running lean then I`m the sultan of Brunei.

The next question is WHY since I`m running a stock carb?!?!?! Can the underslung exhaust restrict that much?! Tomorrow gonna find out, first without the end can then without the whole exhaust, if it starts to rev the answer is quite clear.
I have had a couple of china carbs where the main jet vibrated loose and was found rolling around in the float bowl.
Also had a new china engine where the cam was one cog wrong. Intake closed a tiny bit late and ran rich af.
Sukkaha is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-10-2020, 05:31 PM   #65
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Pretty much narrowed it down to either the idle jet being too big, or the float level is off due to the carb sitting at a forward lean. New smaller idle jet has been ordered, if that does not cure the problem it`s either the float level or the exhaust. I`m told the engine ran fine until it caught on fire under the previous owner after which it sat for several years so my guess is heavily on fueling issues.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-14-2020, 05:37 PM   #66
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Hey guys sorry no pictures this time as my phone decided, completely without asking me (once again) to switch the picture size from 1mp to 16mp and I just can`t be arsed to go through the pain of resizing every pic...

Here`s what`s happened since the last time:

-I made a jig to hold the 30mm "Keihin" pumpy at a 13 degree forward lean
-I measured the float level and discovered it to be too high
-I adjusted the float level lower
-I reassembed the quad only to discover it had no effect to the running issue
-I took the ebay pod filter under close examination (read: tore it apart)
-I discovered that for some reason the passage from the filter element gets choked to 27mm before the carb (no small wonder it was going SCHOOOP at WOT)
-I then crushed said pod filter with a hydraulic press.
-I adjusted the carb to the best of my ability, it`s still no Ferrari but it`s definitely revving higher without a filter
-I ordered a new rear brake disc, pads and a front balljoint from France

Still do do:

-Straighten the rear axel
-Order a set of balljoint sleeves from ebay (seems to be the only place that has the correct size)
-Adjust valve lash (if only I`d have a measure to adjust them to)
-Find somewhere I can order a vacuum hose nipple for the emission valve to be drilled onto the carb boot
-Take it through inspection
-RIDE!

This user High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-16-2020, 04:48 PM   #67
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Guys I think I just found the reason why the quad isn't revving... Holy frick never ever seen valves be so far past negative both screws came out two full turns before I could get a .10mm leaf in between!!! I've now set them so that a .10 will not go in but a .05 will slide through without much resistance. Having seen that I'm kinda surprised it ran at all. Wouldn't be surprised if they've never been set before.

Test run possibly tomorrow, next weekend at the latest.

These people High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-19-2020, 08:17 AM   #68
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Some progress I suppose... Just tried the quad, the engine note is completely different, I can now hear the valves clattering away which was completely absent before. The engine also sound somehow sharper than before. The problem is the rev problem is still there BUT what's different from before is now when I give it throttle it's going PANG PANG PANG PANG like a damn six shooter. Guess it's time to try the original idle jet... Oh, did I mention I dropped the damn needle clip on the asphalt and can't find it.

This user High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-19-2020, 10:00 AM   #69
MikeGyver
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
MikeGyver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:47 AM
Flip Offs: 312
Flipped Off 173 Times in 149 Posts
MikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Fighter of the Month 

This thing sounds like a pain! Keep at it though. A street legal quad sounds awesome. Obviously we are not allowed to have them here in California.

'98 Ducati 916
'00 Ducati 996
'03 SV650(sold)

Skully Stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbuc View Post
yell, "Built not bought mother fucker!" in there face and then spit on their bike and walk off.
MikeGyver is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-19-2020, 10:33 AM   #70
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Been a thorn in my side since day one, fighting me every step of the way. In too deep to throw in the towel but I must admit motivation has been in pretty short supply.

I'll get there eventually. When, making no guesses yet.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Other Motorcycle Discussion