Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

79 KZ650 Brat in progress

15K views 67 replies 19 participants last post by  scottyp 
#1 ·
I haven't posted in a while, and I've been holding off to get more work done. But I decided to let y'all in any way. I started off with with a 79 KZ650C. My dad bought this bike new, and gave it to me in the shape pictured here. It had sat for 5 years with fuel in the carbs and tank but overall, mechanically sound with only 85,000 on the Odometer. I wanted to do a late entry into the buildoff, but I'm not totally sure if I could make the time cutoff as I'm in school and doing the job search thing.

Next, I got her home and started pulling stuff off and planning. The goal is to create a brat with the only frame modifications of de-tabbing and paint. I will not be hacking this frame up, not just because I want to keep a vintage look, but because this bike's been in the family for 36 years and I want to keep many of the original lines. I decided to bridge the gap between cafe and brat by using the original seat pan to create a "2-up cafe" seat while maintaining the original seat latch, hinges, and function. Next up for the seat will be laying fiberglass to create the shape I want, I've just been waiting for some steady weather patterns as all my work is done outside. I've regretted moving back to Indiana for 2 years because of this...

If you noticed in the picture, I've decided to go with rolled down drag bars, as opposed to clip ons, clubmans, or flipped stockers. I wanted a more upright position than those previously listed but not straight up like the stockers made it. Next was the carbs. I went through a bucket of Berryman's Chem-Dip 4 cans of B-12 Chemtool cleaning all the varnish out and rebuilding the carbs...but I love doing that crap. I'm holding off on cleaning the tank for no because I don't want it to flash rust right after and it needs to be dry for me to paint in the next month. But for now, I need to get some fuel line and vacuum hose as well as finish polishing my valve cover, and all the side covers.

The rest of the to-do list is more tedious little stuff as, my only major problems are the ages of some of the parts. I need to replace all the connectors on the wiring harness as they're mostly dry rotted and I want to use waterproof units. I need a new front brake master cylinder because one of the mounting tabs broke off. I need new lower profile front turn signals in a smaller size than the stock units. I have a set of RFY shocks that will be going to Chris Livengood for service as the oil and nitro is too low. I need to rebuild the forks. And once the seat is glassed, I need to french the turn signals in (as pictured on the harley fender below) and create a mountable pan for the cushion. Finally, I need to install the LTD750 cams and the Dyna electronic ignition. Then will be the paint. I'm not totally sold on doing the original color. Thought about doing a silver base with a candy blue and some reproduction gold decals...but still not quite sure.

This build brought to you by beer. If any of you have any kawasaki specific vintage resources let me know. I'm hoping Robbo will be a good source of info as well. more to come later, all.

See less See more
#5 ·
It really only has 85,000 on the odometer. My dad bought it off the showroom floor and can account for every mile ridden. He also gave me every single maintenance record that he had on it dating back to the day he bought it.
It's an heirloom, which is the main reason I have no desire to hack the frame up.

#6 ·
Streetfighter, I'm looking for any and all info I can dig up. I was a strictly suzuki guy til I got this so I'm starting with basic factory packages all the way down to part numbers. I've got a pretty good info base built up, but what I'm really looking for is reproduction decals and parts. Like I mentioned, I need a master cylinder relatively soon.

#7 ·
For parts check out Z1Enterprises. They are super helpful and very knowledgable when it comes to vintage Kawi's and parts.

ReproductionDecals should have a decal kit for you.

If you have a model specific question, go over to KzRider.com. It's a huge forum so there's lots of info if you search (btw the built in search feature isn't the greatest.)

Later, Doug

#9 ·
so, I started workin on the tail yesterday...and this happened:

Something I didn't take into consideration when using spray foam, high wind. It was windy as hell here yesterday, and instead of being patient and waiting...I went for it anyway. I get the physics of it, and why it happened, but c'mon! Are you fist-fuckin me?! So today I decided to go a different route. I went and got supplies and also received my accelerator pump rebuild kit in the mail...

....and this is how she sits now, waiting on the adhesive to dry. Hopefully the temp doesn't bottom out again tonight. That would be just my luck...I seriously need a garage or at least a rental shop space.

#13 ·
No photo again tonight. I finally got the frame de-tabbed and cleaned up, and started sanding it to prep for paint...
...then it rained...
...and I had to pick up the kids...
...then take kids to BJJ...
...then run to the store...
...then the diswasher broke...
...then the kids got toys stuck on the neighbor's roof...

...*sigh* well fuck...

School tomorrow, so motor comes out wednesday...

#14 ·
Ok, so I've been hiding...ish. I finished up school and started working, so the only weekends off have been when I have my kids. But, with all the rain we had last month, and the two weeks I got off for changing jobs (When you're IT and put in two weeks notice, they tend to rush the process) I've had some time to DW.

I finally finished the seat pan, I just need to paint it, and dremel out my mounting points. It's heavy, for glass, but will make for great shaping for others later. I call it the midwest surfboard, cuz that's what it felt like I was making...

I also got the frame cleaned up and painted, reinstalled the engine and replaced all engine cover fasteners with stainless steel allen head units for Z1 Enterprises. Also, I installed my Dyna S ignition.

Then I did some mockups for y'all...

Started on the electronics and undertail trays with some glass...

Got some cheap-bay adjustable shorty levers mostly because of the way they attach to the bars.

I've decided not to go with the frenched in tails and turns because I found this awesome taillight that I could put LED turn signals in, creating an old school style integrated tail...also, I didn't want to french it in because there's not much canvas for paintwork...this will mount to the undertail tray, towards the back so as to give a stock appearance.

I got a pretty decent setup as the bike came with a 4-1. I can't find a name stamped on it anywhere, and dad doesn't remember the brand, but I'm thinking it's either an old Kerker or Dekelvic...or a REAAALLLY good knock off. I started sanding it down, to knock the rust off so I can paint it, but before paint, I'm gonna cut the can down and install a VooDoo shorty baffle and SpeakEasy.

Finally, I started cleaning my tank yesterday. I soaked it in a 4:1 mixture of water and Muriatic Acid for a couple hours so it would soak into the rust, then made a 3 gallon mixture of hot water and a box of baking soda. It wasn't perfect, but it took out enough that I can use POR-15 now. Now I just need to find a new petcock, but until then I can start working on paint. I'm going to use a white base and then do some heavy pearl over it with candy racing stripes down the middle, a 2" orange pearl down the middle with 2, 1" blue pearl down the sides of the orange with white pinstripes separating them, I've already got my candy concentrates.

That's all for now. I'll try to stay more up to date. Cheers! (this last one just needs a gun in it to be completely 'Merica)

#17 ·
scweeet!

The pic with the foam on every fucking part of the bike about killed me, LOL!

#19 ·
perhaps 2 seconds of putting a garbage bag over it next time lol

#23 ·
alright. Got a late start this morning so here's a midday update. I set to work on the integrated tail light today. First I dremeled out the support ribs and the edges of the LED PCBs. with lots of test fits and alignments...

then a little scratchy scratchy scuffy scuffy to get rid of some of the metallic coating.

Some RTV for vibration dampening, insulation to prevent grounding and a little adhesion in place.

Then finally some epoxy to reeeeeally hold that bitch together.

Finished product test. :rock:

I think I spent 20 bucks on the tail/brake/license bracket, 15 on the turn signals and will spend another 10 for another bracket (putting on on upside down and backwards cuz it matches the angle of my undertail perfectly) plus maybe 10 bucks in material that I had laying around from other projects. Next project today is the header, tomorrow I'm ordering my baffle and the speakeasy, then I'll worry about the muffler after they arrive.

#28 ·
Started my new job today, so no more vacation for this guy. But I did come home to so new parts. My new petcock, fuel line, vacuum line, fuel filter, foot brake switch, Voodoo shorty baffle and Voodoo speakeasy all came today. I'd do work and get some pictures for y'all but it's raining pretty good here. Nothing for ya til tomorrow evening.

#29 ·
Man, I'm really liking all the work you are putting into this bike. The fact that it was your dad's bike is even better. So I'm gonna give you one piece of advice,

THROW THOSE DAMN PIECE OF SHIT PODS IN THE TRASH CAN!!!!!!!!!!!

They don't work, your bike will run like shit. I know you want it to look cool but please man.

You have CV carbs, they need the airbox. Trust me on this. Nobody is going to crap on your bike because you have a stock airbox. In fact, real motorcycle people will applaud you for keeping it.

I was in Indy for the MotoGP and had I known you were there I would have come over and taken those damn pods away from you.

#32 ·
Those are 100% not CV carbs. I've successfully tuned these carbs with no filters and open header with a timing advance and stock engine. These are mikuni round slides. Very simple carbs.

Stop making ambiguous statements and maybe redknucks will go away

#30 ·
You can tune CV carbs for pods but it takes a lot of trial and error. I had a set of CVs with pods on my CB750 and it ran great. Ask shiny. He bought them from me. It's all about how much work yiu are willing to put into it for the look because there is no real performance gains to be had with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.