Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Shinyribs' CB1100F- discussion thread

9K views 179 replies 18 participants last post by  shinyribs 
#1 ·
Yeeeeep. Time to get off my arse. I've got another bike I should be finishing first, but let's hope this keep me motivated.

#124 ·
I just don't know? when I do a comment here my pc just drops me straight into your build thread Shiny'.Its gotta mind of its own so sorry mate ,to make it worse its random.
No its not alzeimers :)

I will check when I comment and delete accordingly .My apologies Sir.

#133 ·
Handles are super nice Shiny,puts mine to shame but that's all I can do . It seems to be my trademark now anyways ;).
The work on the cowl and top cover is perfect better than factory methinks.Great skills my friend :D

#136 ·
Damn, Shiny! I really like the matching 80’s graphics on the cowl!
My opinion is that particular emblem doesn’t fit the style. I would consider an asymmetrical approach with a Honda sticker like on the tank sides, off to one side, like the lower right, overlapping the two tone as it does on the tank. Perhaps even relieving the graphic around it.
It would look 80’s Honda factory, at least in my head it does.

#145 ·
Thanks Robbo. The wrinkle feels old school to me, too.

Jmartin painted this bike and applied the decals. I'm not sure where they came from, but the stripe layout is the stock 750/900 design, just with 1100 swapped in for the side covers. The only vinyl I did was on the cowl. Honda never did a blue and silver bike in these stripes for American markets. It's the colors Freddie Spencer ran and people like it, so the aftermarket came through.

There's a link in my signature that goes to the thread for the fighter of year bike, but if the pics are dead I can work on that this evening.

#144 ·
The frame looks like new ,a nice start to building up the bike from the ground up.Nothing worse than oily greasy scratched up bits and bobs. I also like the wrinkle finish,puts me in mind of old skool tuning goodies .Top stuf Shiny keep up the fight mate :)

#147 ·
Not really, but the fender is actually warped. Viewed from the front it's pretty bad. I didn't realize that until recently. Poor storage somewhere in it's lifetime? I'm not sure how well the paint would hold up to any trimming, but i have been feeling like that fender should be blacked out anyway.

#148 ·
I really like the graphics you extended out to the wheel set. It would have been a great idea then, and looks better than plain white now.
I have been considering what graphics to add to mine that haven’t been done to death. I am considering how I can add a blue stripe to the side wall of the tire, like a blue streak track tire from the sixties.
Great work!

#150 ·
Graphics on the wheel look top notch, well done.

Careful with that rim. I found one of the rims on my VW Golf had been repaired in a similar fashion. I found out because it had re-cracked right along the weld and wouldn't hold more than about 20psi. Not easy getting a good weld on cast aluminium.

#157 ·
Still loving the rim treatment. Fucking 80’s for the win!
I know what you mean about the gauges. Thought everything other than a speedo (and that was for checking when you saw the po-po) was gravy. My dirt bikes didn’t have that and I did just fine. Sure, I ran out of gas 5 miles from camp, twice, but it sloshed when I shook the bike so I thought I was good.

#158 ·
Properly impressed with the shock cap, looks just like the OEM preload adjuster on the fork.

You can get aftermarket gear indicator modules which compare road speed and rpm to work out the gear. Is your unit clever enough for that, or is it reliant on an actual signal like some Chinese 125s have? If the latter, I can't see you could make it work. If the former, it may already work.

#159 ·
The gauge has a 6 pin plug to read gear positions( 1-5 + N). All of them need to be grounded to indicate, like a normal neutral indicator, so it needs to complete an actual physical circuit.

I know lots of bike use a rotating disc type switch to indicate the gear position. I know I could rig one up outboard of the transmission, but I can't imagine any way to do it that wouldn't be full on janky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAr6wsgogvc

#160 ·
Looks good so far. Great work. I like the idea of zinc plating the bolts nice touch. I was also looking for a cheap fuel gauge sending unit, may try the same one that you got.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.