New here. Wanting to do a streetfighter build on 02 zx6 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > New Member Introductions (For Noobs!)

New Member Introductions (For Noobs!) Are you new here? Just want to say hi? This is a great place to introduce yourself or ask beginner questions.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > New here. Wanting to do a streetfighter build on 02 zx6

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-26-2019, 02:24 AM   #1
02zx6
NoObie
Noobie
02zx6's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:19 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
02zx6 is a NOOB
Default New here. Wanting to do a streetfighter build on 02 zx6

Hello guys, I'm from Guam. I currently have two bikes. I have a 2015 zx6r that I am stunting and I just recently picked up a 2002 zx6r.

I want to build the 02 as a streetfighter and I have never built one nor worked on carbeurated before. Work needs to be done on the 02. Front brakes are locked, rear brakes have no pressure on pedal, gas leaking somewhere under the tank, needs new tires and sprocket/chain, and sputters really bad.

Obviously I have a lot of work to do and need some inspiration to build this streetfighter. I would appreciate help along the way with this build.

First things first is that I want to fix the sputtering problem and open up the carbs. Any tip or help would be appreciated .

Here are both my bikes:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190725_024342_1564118639471.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	105556   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190726_134753_1564118732464.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	647.8 KB
ID:	105558   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190714_144952_1564118798856.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	105560  
Attached Images

02zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived 02zx6!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-26-2019, 09:58 AM   #2
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: New here. Wanting to do a streetfighter build on 02 zx6

Welcome to CF Carbs are never as bad as they seem once you get inside, just make a clean open space to work on them so you dont drop any small parts that may fall out while your are taking them apart.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-26-2019, 12:23 PM   #3
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:19 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

Never built a streetfighter yet you have a stunt bike carbs ain't too bad just take apart one at a time or have a bowl for each so you know what bit goes where, not sure of that bike but on some bikes the main jet of the side cylinders are different size than those in the middle etc.

Bashan BS200-S7 '07 Street Quad
Mattson is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Mattson!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-26-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 08:19 PM
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Welcome!

Get yourself a set of new carb seals in stock. They may not be necessary, but you may find them flattened or tear them on disassembly.

These guys make good seals and cheap. Worldwide shipping is free, just have to be patient unfortunately.
https://litetek.co/Carb_Kit_Kawasaki_ZX6.html

Those 6 piston calipers are well known to be a pig once the corrosion sets in. Replaceable with some 4 piston calipers off a bandit 1200 among others.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived a_morti!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-28-2019, 03:19 AM   #5
02zx6
NoObie
Noobie
02zx6 is a NOOB

Thanks for the reply guys.

So I tore apart the carbs and cleaned them up. One of the carbs had a pilot jet cracked deep inside its threading and I cant take it out. I may be looking on Ebay for a used carb set and install it.

I will also be working on the brake issue, new tires etc...

Quick question, what streetfighter headlights are yall running on these 02 zx6rs? I got rid of the original fairings and whole headlight assembly.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-28-2019, 04:53 AM   #6
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Sucks about the carbs. But on the other hand, they're busted now so you might as well get involved, see if you can rescue anything. Not entirely sure if you should use heat on something that will contain gas and rubber seals... But the cast body and brass jet will expand at different rates, so getting a torch in there will loosen stuff up.

Headlight is a matter of personal taste and budget. Mt03 lights are pretty popular but not cheap, or there's the usual universal dirt bike lights on eBay for @$20.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-28-2019, 07:07 AM   #7
02zx6
NoObie
Noobie
02zx6 is a NOOB

Allright. I'll get back to work on the bike and figure out what kinda headlight I'll put on.

Wish I could stunt the bike as well but I don't think this bike likes to stand at 12 o'clock lol
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-28-2019, 04:37 PM   #8
AIR BOSS
NoObie
Noobie
AIR BOSS's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
AIR BOSS is a NOOB

I run an old school 70’s 7 inch round headlight on my k5 GSXR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	93C9D402-3E32-4BD6-80BF-21E4A24DBB13_1564342633598.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	105632  
AIR BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived AIR BOSS!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-29-2019, 03:29 AM   #9
02zx6
NoObie
Noobie
02zx6 is a NOOB

That's a neat looking headlight.

So I got the carbs installed and cleaned up. She still sputters maybe like around 5k rpms and up.

I got new fuel in the tank. Previous owner said the spark plugs are new but I should check those as well. What could be others things to look at? Fuel pump, fuel filter, air intake?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-29-2019, 05:13 AM   #10
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict

Guys who know ninjas - can it be due to missing fairings? Istr something about rerouting vent hoses to equalise pressure, but that's all I got.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > New Member Introductions (For Noobs!)