Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes - Page 38 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis

Dirty Tards & Minis Everything about dirtbikes, motards and minis goes in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-11-2018, 11:30 PM   #371
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Larry02ACR's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:39 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
Hmm...round November through January is our fall season. Past few years our winters are pretty short and don't really get cold til about February-March. And yep, I'm in SW VA.
That's probably a 16 hour+ trip from DFW, Texas. What's the kick ass off road spot out there?
Larry02ACR is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-11-2018, 11:44 PM   #372
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:39 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry02ACR View Post
That's probably a 16 hour+ trip from DFW, Texas. What's the kick ass off road spot out there?
Honestly, sadly, my house There are a few public trails, but they are things you could easily drive a Jeep over. hell, most of it could be covered with a Camry. It boggles my mind when I see some of the public areas guys have access to out West. The terrain over here is awesome, it's just not freed up for public use.

There is one really nice trail not too far from me that I tried to kill myself on with the KLR when I first got it. One lap takes about 20 minutes, so nothing very long. The lack of public trails around here had a lot to do with me getting out of dirt bikes years ago.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-12-2018, 12:35 AM   #373
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

That sucks. When I started looking at spots on the east coast, seemed like North and South Carolina had some good off road trails.

Years ago when I used to build log houses all over the US we did one in Winchester, VA. Sadly, the only thing that seems to stand out was that VA was the most redneck state I had ever been to. And I grew up in east Texas where white cowboy hats and Coors Lite reign supreme...

Anything good within an hour or two's riding distance?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-12-2018, 12:40 AM   #374
TURNIP
GURU
CF Lover
TURNIP's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 1
TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Oh man, this thing is starting to look shaaarp as it comes together.

Isaac Newton was a bastard when he invented gravity!
TURNIP is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-12-2018, 02:21 AM   #375
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:

Anything good within an hour or two's riding distance?
There's a group of guys ( A and AA riders) that have some trails built on their own land. Nothing real gnarly, but those guys haul ass. Couple small hillclimbs. I haven't kept in touch with them this summer, though. The other trail I mentioned earlier is on a private farm. It sees a decent amount of traffic and get pretty rutted. But someone tries to maintain it. There's one section that set up like a MX course. I don't do jumps...unless bailing off counts Which is oddly fun to do.

I need to figure out how to hook up with likeminded people around here. I see dirt bikes being hauled down the road. People ride, I just need to figure out where/ make some contacts. People are so private around here that it makes it hard. Most guys I talk to at the bike shop only ride when they run a harescramble race. I can't imagine owning a dirt bike and ONLY being able to ride like that.

TURNIP, thanks man. I appreciate that.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-12-2018, 03:02 AM   #376
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
There's a group of guys ( A and AA riders) that have some trails built on their own land. Nothing real gnarly, but those guys haul ass.
This is the shit I always view with skepticism.

"Nah bro, it's not gnarly at all..."

*Some Erzberg shit later*

"Fuck y'all in the face. Right in the face."

So if I end up somewhere around the Dragon this fall, you want me to let you know?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-12-2018, 03:17 AM   #377
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
This is the shit I always view with skepticism.

"Nah bro, it's not gnarly at all..."

*Some Erzberg shit later*

"Fuck y'all in the face. Right in the face."

So if I end up somewhere around the Dragon this fall, you want me to let you know?
lol Dude,if my dinosaur XR can haul my clumsy ass around it, you know you can make it. Hell, I took a stock KLR over worse. The trails I make at home are rougher than anything else around here, and they're not Romainic level stuff.

I've never been to the Dragon. Definitely give me a shout. After we go wide and ditch our bikes out there, we can go loop out on some hills. Sounds like fun
These people High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-13-2018, 10:58 PM   #378
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

I mentioned elsewhere that I picked up a powdercoating setup for cheap. Some hi-temp black is currently cooling on my midpipe Not a huge oven, but I can squeeze a 17 rim in there...good enough for me! Good balance of practical vs space hog.

HotCoat Pro 1100, which meant nothing to me, but the adjustable voltage knob looked nice. Seems this was about a $600-700 gun, but it's now discontinued. It's alright, I'm out of style, too.

I hung all the controls and gauges back on the bike to see how things were. Got a few cables to order and a few brackets to refinish, but all looks good. The speedo looks practically brand new, but the trip knob was broke off. I turned up a new knob and glued to to the remnants of the old knob that's still down inside the gauge. Oughta do the trick, if not I'll make another job and try again! Will need to fit up a piece of felt to keep dust out, too.

Large and knurled. Easy to use with a gloved hand.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-15-2018, 01:14 AM   #379
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Making shopping lists and sorting out details for the last little bits and pieces. Somehow it escaped my mind that I need a master cylinder up front. Sorting out a few other little details. I wanted to make a pair of permanently attached loops to strap my luggage to. You'll never get away from strap-on luggage rubbing side panels, but at least this keeps it off the frame tubes and away from exhaust heat. It also makes sure the straps never slide around on you. Side panels will always have a hard life offroad. Just get used to that.

Made these up with the intent to use them as washers for the upper,rear engine mount bolt, but the righthand side interfered with the kicker when folded in. Bummer. Not seeing any other great options I decided to stick it under a clutch cover bolt instead. Not super hyped about using a 6mm bolt for this, but I doubt it'd ever cause any problems. Turned up a little button since it was originally made for a 12mm bolt. Salvaging stuff

Lefthand side under engine bolt as planned.

On the topic of luggage...gotta have a rear rack. I originally thought to bend up some tubing to make a new rack, but this is actually a Hondaline rackmade for this bike. Honestly, if I made a new rack it would be the same size anyway. So then I figured I'd paint or powder the rack black...but that's gonna look scratched all to piece the first time anything touches it. Chrome is actually a better surface for this job. So I stuck the rack back on for a look and I have to admit...I really don't hate it.

My bag fits like it was made for this rack. The rear hooks fit the support rail on the rack perfectly. The racklengthis the perfect size to hold my tent behind the bag, and the bag is only sitting on the seat about an inch or so. Couldn't ask for a better fit!

All strapped in position. Man, I can't wait to ride this thing...

I did up the midpipe in some hi-temp sating black,so decided to stick that on for a look with the rack to see if I liked the look. Decided to stick the stock tailight back on for a look, too. Wish I'd stuck a front fender on so the bike didn't look so rear heavy in the pics.

I mean...nothing is exactly sleek or hidden, but I really think it looks fine. I have to fix the tag bracket from hitting the tire with the longer wheelbase, but that's easy. I planned all along to ditch this taillight and find something smaller, but I think it'll be ok. Am I just cutting corners now to hurry up, or is this rack/ tail light setup actually hideous and I need to slim it down? I can't decide.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-15-2018, 01:36 AM   #380
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:39 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

"period correct" is the term I'd use.

Benelli Tornado TRE Novecento 2006
EX: Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA 2002 Fighter
My homebrew blog thread thingy: Oddball Brewery
Mattson is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Mattson!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis