Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Titans XSR900 project my wife is going to kill me

4K views 44 replies 6 participants last post by  titan 
#1 ·
Probably not best entering a year old bike in the build off but it on the bench, and my wife is probably going to kill me but there you go.

Plan is to motard but in a way that it can be put back to stock at a moment's notice. it few engine mods here and there nothing major, no engine removal stuff just playing around with tank covers, lights, bars and a few other choice bits.

See less See more
#2 ·
Today I took off the front mudguard, and Yamaha did a really untidy job of this lot. There is even a slot they use on the MT/FZ 09 they could have run the cables through so while I'm doing the head light swap I'll do some rerouting of cables and try and tidy this all up.

#3 ·
Best get sumt done.

So got the headlight test fitted with the stock one removed. Then figured I may aswell remove everything to get to the top of the engine so I can fit the graves plates and remove some clutter, this also gave me an opportunity to reroute the main cables to the light. Overall happy, light bracket needs some fine tuning [emoji23]

Next job is to find a front fender/ mudguard and make some number boards for the rear

I did find that Yamaha decided to not bother putting a washer on one side of the radiator bracket. Not a major deal but dig kick my self for not noticing sooner

#5 ·
#6 ·
#7 ·
got the front mudguard sorted, need to order a new metal frame for the light unit ( in a bid to be able to put it back to stock a spare is needed). then i can trim off what isn't needed and make some brackets for the mudguard. once fitted then i think its time for some fibre

#9 ·
So that's the tail tidy re done much neater and the light sits nice hidden just under the seat. Like everything it will be sent of for powder coating with the rest.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Also received this in the post. It's the standard front light frame. As I'm trying to keep the bike in a place where I can make it stock if I need to, that means a zero cutting policy. But if I buy a 2nd part then that's a loophole so I can cut one up as it can still be put back[emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787]

So let the cutting commence

#11 ·
Today I tackled the headlight frame. I needed to remove the bracket that holds the stock light in place. So that came off and cleaned up. I also needed to remove the bottoms bracket that holds things like the brake pipes and horn. Yamaha has it so it sticks out but as the stock light also sticks out you don't notice it till you take it apart. So I cut that out and made a new one out of some 2mm steel the added the brake line stay back on in a slightly different position. It's was also my first time Tig welding something useful after weeks of practice and although it's functional it's not that pretty but the welding is getting there. More on that in my welding thread. Next up is making the brackets to see how the mudguard looks.

#12 ·
Today I started building the new front mudguard/ fender mount. Always eager to use the welder for practice I bent a bracket then added some gussets to see if I could and for strength then cut some holes for weight reduction but also in the a similar fashion to the old side panels with the three circles.

Next job fit it all together.

#13 ·
In the interest of sharing every part of the build, you sometimes find you reached the end and it's a dead end. The idea just doesn't work. So after working on the front light for what seems like for ever the look just isn't what I was hoping. It just looks wrong and awkward.

So that's shelved time for something new.

#14 ·
Plan b looks a bit better. Going to order a better light and see how it goes

Had a helper too for a bit

#15 ·
So acquired some 10mm bar then had to make a way to bend it after some fetting I got this part mocked up

#18 ·
Knocked up a couple of brackets to today. Still need to drill for indicators and tac them on. Should get that done tonight then hopefully my new light will be here tomorrow so I can finish the backing plate.

#19 ·
A couple more bits done

Made the front plate, but can't finish it till the light comes in.

Got the brackets tacked on

#20 ·
New light turned up and it's a simple on off unit. I brought it because it had both spot and flood and was hoping to run it as hi/ low beam but it's a printed circuit board so not even going to mess around with it.

So did some digging in my boxes. Found an old number board from the XJ build a couple of years back and there is two small led lights on it. Perfect! One can be a parking light ( old school money side light) the other the low head light. I know they are useless but keep the rozzers off me back.

Hi beam will be the spot light I been using as a mock up light. I like the look and it fits perfect to brackets already in place.

Welded the mounting brackets to the frame properly ( say that losslessly as my Tig is no where near the standard of most on here) shaped the main plate and it's all good to be tacked on later. Dad duties calling for a bit.

#21 ·
Forget to say.

You may notice a template for a radiator cover. Probably going to out source this as I just don't fancy sitting drilling 100's of holes. Been there done that

#22 ·
Light finished up, just needs a little filler before paint. Much better than the previous attempts

Today I knocked up a couple of brake line stays. Not the prettiest, but does the trick of keeping them out of harm's way. Next up is the radiator grill.

#25 ·
Easy night tonight. Gave my mate a paper template he gave me these a couple of hours later. They need some slight adjustment but should looks good.
They are the rear pegs blanking plates.

#28 ·
Painting is so time wasting but needs doing

Also got the final design for the rear pegs blanking plates.

Now what tube do I use for a rear reservoir delete ???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.