Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

XS850 Triple Cafe Project

57K views 135 replies 20 participants last post by  n8isarockstar 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I am totally a noob when it comes to bikes...so forgive me.

I have been trying to pick up the right bike to start this project and had been leaning towards a virago. After too long of a wait from one seller and a bit more research, I have decided to go with a Yamaha 850 triple and am VERY excited about it.

Has anyone seen how sweet BlackBII's sounds and runs? thats exactly how well I want mine to work. Currently, it backfires constantly, sounds like something is clanging around inside (when it is idling with the choke all the way down). On top of that, it doesnt get a lot of power when driving.
BlackBII suggested to have the Carbs synched but im not sure what that means or if its something i can do myself.

Before anyone asks "have you done_______"
The answer is no...i have done nothing yet. Please..and advice is MORE than welcomed. THANKS

Ps. ill get some pics up of it tomorrow most likely

#60 ·
I like the second muffler, and the clamps should work fine.

Did you pay the guy for the exhaust carbs and tank? I can start a fuss over at yamaha triples if needed....

The F2 I did had a regular speedo gear on the axle with a cable going into the speedometer, but I am pretty sure the F3 uses an electronic unit. I am not sure what type of signal the F3 speedo uses...

I would look into an aftermarket gauge, like the Trail Tech Vapor or the Koso gauges. They use a magnetic pickup that you install on the brake rotor

http://trailtech.net/vapor.html

http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/

I'm sure there are other companies, those are just two that I know of

#61 ·
the clamps should work fine.
awesome, cause I was worried the silicone would melt under the heat and this way I can ensure no exhaust leaks

Did you pay the guy for the exhaust carbs and tank? I can start a fuss over at yamaha triples if needed....
No, but I got frustrated waiting and just went and had exhaust bent for me here. Was 200...cheaper than the MAC is what I figured so, whatever. It is what it is. He just stopped responding all-together though and I was super frustrated, especially considering the mixup with the carbs, and still wanting them and the tank. Sigh..ah well...
to this day I have still sent him several emails wondering if he still plans to sell anything..and nothing. Dropped off the face of the earth. At least I didn't pay

I would look into an aftermarket gauge, like the Trail Tech Vapor or the Koso gauges. They use a magnetic pickup that you install on the brake rotor

http://trailtech.net/vapor.html

http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/

I'm sure there are other companies, those are just two that I know of
Ill keep looking around. Im not a huge fan of the digital readouts. unless I can get one so small it looks like I don't have one. That would be even better :)

#62 ·
http://www.dan-moto.com/danmoto-nano-product-134.html?zenid=h591sgf830d4egu6ndjslmeru2

This gauge is pretty small... I'm sure you've already seen the gauges thread, but there some that are even smaller amigo. I'm looking to put a small one on my yamaha build, the stock gauges were like a small microwave!

This one as well.....
http://motogadget.com/digitalinstrumente/digitaltacho-serie-mini/motoscope-mini/motoscope-mini.html

I don't think I"ve seen one smaller than this? Anyways, here's the gauges thread for even more inspiration....

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36363&highlight=gauge

#65 ·
Wait....

You are planning on using the silicone tubing for your exhaust? That wont work. It'll melt.

I thought you meany just like the stainless T bolt clamps. Those will work, but not the silicone itself.

I'm sure you could get an F3 speedo and make a custom mount for it. They are pretty large though...

#66 ·
Ok, I'll get it all on there when I get the muffler.

as far as speedo goes..those are good links!
I found this one on the one website...
http://www.dan-moto.com/lcd-digital...uct-137.html?zenid=h591sgf830d4egu6ndjslmeru2

price range is good, I can deal with the digital readout and i like that its everything combined into one..but in a small, round classic look.

Will this come with the wheel magnet sensor? it says:
Scope of delivery:
LCD instrument
Wheel sensor
english/german installation manual

..im just hoping that means it comes with its own, not that you connect the existing speedo drive.

seat should be here this week..SOO SICK OF WAITING

anyone see this guys build????
http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49270&page=3

think that tank would look ridiculous on mine? i might be able to hide a battery and all kinds of fun stuff up under that giant tank

#69 ·
I have the special tank. It is in amazing condition and im sure can fetch a fair penny on sleeze-bay..round 150 or so. The standard tank seems to fit the cafe style better than what I have. That being said...im kinda liking the line lately...so I just may change my mind.

#73 ·
so twr3cks...do you want my tank? did you want to trade? haha
do you happen to have a standard one?

anyway, got the bike started again today..finally..its been rough. the 3-1 exhaust seems to have healed it of a lot of the backfiring problems. i havnt put the exhaust gaskets on it yet cause i want to paint it first but even still its doing pretty good.

tried to set timing..after a loooooong haul..here is what ive come up with...

im maxed out in the one direction and im at 1F. if i go the other way it just gets worse. im worried this might indicate a larger problem. but my plate is turned 100% to the left and i have to turn it probably another 1/4" id guess. ideas? ps...it probably should be mentioned that its running the best it has so far...without actually being driven of course.

got someone to machine me some clip on risers...kinda like convertibar..but will accept the drag bar i plan to use. will also give me room to adjust and play with different positions. sooo stoked. he just needs me to do a better drawing and give him dimensions for every little peice. too bad i suck at drawing (digital or caveman)

thinking my seat will be in tomorrow or the next day.
also waiting on some things from ebay..led blinkers for the front and muffler. it should be a good week

#74 ·
:gavin:IT'S CHRISTMAS!!:gavin:

Or at least it feels like it. My seat came in from airtech today (sigh..finally) and my blinkers from Hong Kong. I am pretty impressed at the quality of both. The seat is much stronger feeling than I anticipated. The blinkers were SUPER CHEAP and from :ebay: . I figured if they didn't show up..then I wasn't losing much. Let me tell you..not only are they good quality, feeling, but they look nice, they light up wicked bright and they were here in probably a week total. Not bad for half way around the world.

STOKED!!!!!

#76 ·
Here is an update. headers on, and new exhaust on. It sounds pretty. I dont think it looks too big. It might in this first picture but thats why i added the third grainy picture to show that from a normal angle it looks pretty good. It is real carbon fiber and i think its gonna work out great
also..I did just set the seat on top of everything just to show that i got it i guess. haha. cant wait to get it on. trying to decide exactly how i want to mount it. but yeah...this post is mostly about the exhaust

#78 ·
one concern bud, and that's cornering. here's what u do: take the bike and lean it to the left until the footpeg touches. this will give you an idea of the angle you need to shoot for on the right side. now lean the bike as far right as u can. i'm guessing that u prolly won't make it to the footpeg, and i'd really hate for you to take that thing out and trash your new can first ride.

#80 ·
Yeah the muffler looks good, just too low. On a sharp corner, it could hit the ground and kick your rear tire off the ground, sending you face first into the pavement.

I would look into cutting down that aluminum bracket just behind the footpeg some, and bringing the exhaust up and at an angel outward. May have to make a few bends...

But it looks great amigo!

#81 ·
ok..why does it seem like every step i come across something else..haha
You all will hate me by the time this is done. hahaha

ok, so, in an attempt to get new levers and match up to the new callipers, i found a good deal on a lever assembly, master cylinder, lines and both calipers for a CBR600RR. I know the lever and master cylinder will work for the brakes on the CBR600F3 fork/calipers i already have. The plan was to just sell off the calipers for the 600RR. but...they are so nice :D

So, id like to put them on if its not too dumb of an idea. my poblem (i think its the only one) is that the RR calipers are mounted radially, and the fork has them...the other way..whatever its called. straight up and down. Is there a bracket, that can be put on there to make it extend out and mount radially? or do i have to go to a machine shop around here to have it done?

as far as the exhaust goes, im going to have to take it back to the shop to have them angle it up/extend it out. It def is too low and there isnt anything else i can do about it other than that. kind of a bummer..but i dont want it to rub while i ride. ok

sorry for being so ignorant.

ps. Cruuz...i voted for you. i mean.....what a great bike.

#85 ·
So far I think I have gotten really great deals on everything. These carbs are no exception...today, I think I am going to purchase a tank that is too much. I just can't find a good deal on a standard tank to save my life. It does have both petcocks...bit the bid is already at 150 and there is about two hours left.

Pugeyed: glad you are on board now too. Yours is looking amazing. I so wish I could have bought that tank from you...i would have paid you more than it went for :) i love the direction you are going with your build

update: lost that bid too..ughhhhhhh. i wish i had a good moto graveyard around here

#89 ·
You only say that because the Hinckley Classic Triples Rally is in your neck of the woods!!
haha..just kidding.
I'm down for whatever. My brother lives in mechanicsburg so it would give me a good excuse to get down there. If anyone knows of any rallys next year, lets plan it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.