Need advice on a suzuki RF900 build - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Beginner Streetfighter Questions

Beginner Streetfighter Questions This is the place to ask all beginner questions with no fear of being flamed. This section will be HEAVILY MODERATED! Any fighter related question is allowed, no matter how simple!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Need advice on a suzuki RF900 build

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-27-2019, 03:46 PM   #1
Cat- sling
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 02:29 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cat- sling is a NOOB
Default Need advice on a suzuki RF900 build

I want to change the swing so i want to find out if a busa swing arm will fit. I want to swop the standard front end for a suzuki k4 or a yamaha R1. Any advice on what will work if this parts does not work.
Cat- sling is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-03-2019, 01:15 AM   #2
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Flip Offs: 188
Flipped Off 34 Times in 28 Posts
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Need advice on a suzuki RF900 build

I haven't seen too many RFs come through the forums, not as much information about what parts are easily swapped.

A few details with the swingarm to pay attention to:
Swingarm Pivot Width (Spacers or shaving)
Swingarm Pivot Bolt Diameter (Bearings)
Shock Mounting / Dogbone Mounting Motion / Location

A few details with the forks to pay attention to:
Steering Stem Bearings (All Balls Racing has a good list of bearings to use.)
Steering Stem Length (You can get one made or make a mix of parts to use RF stem on GSXR triples.)
Overall Wheel to Triples Height (If you go too short, you lose your ground clearance and make your steering more twitchy.)

Look around the site for other builders who have used the Hayabusa swingarm or the GSXR forks. You can usually find some measurements for the parts you are looking at or someone here may have the measurements stashed in a dark corner.

The best way in my opinion is to get the parts you want and then we'll help you sort the minor details out.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post Yesterday, 12:44 AM   #3
shift1313
GURU

shift1313's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:29 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 6 Times in 6 Posts
shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!
Default Re: Need advice on a suzuki RF900 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat- sling View Post
I want to change the swing so i want to find out if a busa swing arm will fit. I want to swop the standard front end for a suzuki k4 or a yamaha R1. Any advice on what will work if this parts does not work.
So sadly the RF suspension and frame stuff was not "budget" but it wasn't like a gsxr. 96+ 900 got upgraded forks but the "hot ticket" was just throwing racetech goldvalves in them. Worked much better.

So despite the looks the frames on those bikes were steel. The engine is the same oil boiler found on the gsxr and bandits. Well the bottom end of the 600/900 is the 1100 case from the gsxr1100/bandit1200. Why? i don't know. I think the rf400 was based on the early 91/92 gsxr 600case/bandit 600 case. So the pivot diameter and how it fits is likely very similar to that found on "slingshot" gsxrs. Might be a good place to look for what arms people put on those 2nd gen GSXR builds for an idea. I ran a 95 arm on my kaw so i know the arms from 88-96 were interchangable but got bracing in the later years. 96+ SRAD gsxrs i believe also fit but the "dog bone" linkage mount went from the top of the arm from 95 to the bottom of the arm in 96. The RF bikes had the linkage mount on top like the slingshot gsxrs(which also makes me think those arms likely swap).

Are you trying to upgrade for looks or some performance?

also quick google search.
https://www.customfighters.com/forum...ad.php?t=52934

part way through the bike got a gsxr subframe and tail and a USD front but updates stopped in 2014.
shift1313 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Beginner Streetfighter Questions