SV1000Reptilia - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > SV1000Reptilia

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-01-2019, 06:53 PM   #11
Leroy
GURU
CF Addict
Leroy's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:02 AM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: SV1000Reptilia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
cast aluminum will likely be difficult to weld, too
That's what I had hear about cast aluminium. When my welder weld the subframe of the XT retro, I did ask him if it's possible to weld for me a cast aluminium subframe and ride the bike safely with a passenger on it, he told me that he could. Tomorow I will show it to him and find out if it's possible. I would like to hear your opinion too, about that mater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auser6guy View Post
Could you make an adapter out of steel so that you donít need to weld to it ?
That could work to the bottom bracket, but the upper is way off.

This is how the subframe sit on the frame right now

I want to cut and weld new brackets to the upper section. My main concern is that the walls of the subframe are too thin. It's 3mm thick and at some points 4mm.
Some guys in here are very good welders. I would like to hear your opinions about it, is it a good idea to go for it?

Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-01-2019, 07:20 PM   #12
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:02 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Junkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Fighter of the Month 

oh, 3-4mm isn't that thin. I think my subframe is 3/4" .120 (19mm x 3mm).

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, FE570, FS570, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-02-2019, 10:07 AM   #13
Leroy
GURU
CF Addict
Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

That's hopeful Junkie.

I just came back from the welder. He said that is doable to weld the brackets and have a safe result by adding some reinforcement from the inside of the walls.
I'm a litle bit nervus about it tbh. I am not 100% confident with that solution.
I mean I trust my welder. He wouldn't say that he could if he couldn't.
Some other ideas are spinning in my head right now but it's in very early stage.
This user High Fived Leroy!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #14
hrdy
Noobie
CF Addict
hrdy's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:02 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 22 Times in 14 Posts
hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

did some quick photochop

you might have to cut a lot of the subframe

might be easier to modified if you got the pipe subframe like this
https://www.boonstraparts.com/en/par...&ID=B10002RRSN

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-2017-2...p2047675.l2557
hrdy is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived hrdy!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #15
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:02 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Junkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Fighter of the Month 

there are a couple issues:

one, cast is fairly dirt so it's hard to weld well. the fact that it's powdercoated means it's even harder to get clean.

second, even done perfectly the welding weakens aluminum quite a bit.

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, FE570, FS570, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-02-2019, 12:29 PM   #16
Leroy
GURU
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdy View Post
did some quick photochop

you might have to cut a lot of the subframe

might be easier to modified if you got the pipe subframe like this
https://www.boonstraparts.com/en/par...&ID=B10002RRSN

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-2017-2...p2047675.l2557

The subframe isn't at the right angle at this picture. So I might have to chop the bottom fittings a litle or at all.

Are those the lightweight subframes for race use?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-02-2019, 12:53 PM   #17
Leroy
GURU
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
there are a couple issues:

one, cast is fairly dirt so it's hard to weld well. the fact that it's powdercoated means it's even harder to get clean.

second, even done perfectly the welding weakens aluminum quite a bit.
If I go for it eventually, I will sandblast it before. Wouldn't that help it?

That's what he said too. The less you work it, the best for the durability.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-02-2019, 03:57 PM   #18
Auser6guy
Fighter In Training
Local Time: 02:02 AM
Auser6guy is a glorious beacon of lightAuser6guy is a glorious beacon of lightAuser6guy is a glorious beacon of lightAuser6guy is a glorious beacon of lightAuser6guy is a glorious beacon of lightAuser6guy is a glorious beacon of lightAuser6guy is a glorious beacon of lightAuser6guy is a glorious beacon of lightAuser6guy is a glorious beacon of lightAuser6guy is a glorious beacon of lightAuser6guy is a glorious beacon of light

Build from scratch if you don’t want to weld it?
Auser6guy is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-02-2019, 05:56 PM   #19
Leroy
GURU
CF Addict

Build one from scratch is one of my thoghts.
An other is to build a tank from scratch and make an aluminium adapter to fit the subframe.

In my early plans, a fuel tank in the suframe and a fiberglass tank cover at the original place was included.
I want to shave some weight but, that subframe change a litle bit my plans.

I'm working on it and I'm going to fit that fooking panigale tail
These people High Fived Leroy!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-02-2019, 06:12 PM   #20
hrdy
Noobie
CF Addict
hrdy's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:02 PM
Flipped Off 22 Times in 14 Posts
hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
The subframe isn't at the right angle at this picture. So I might have to chop the bottom fittings a litle or at all.

Are those the lightweight subframes for race use?
ok
it's a stock 899 steel subframe
hrdy is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived hrdy!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes