Smoker's Custom Motard - Page 151 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Smoker's Custom Motard

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-18-2019, 05:27 PM   #1501
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:30 AM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Smoker's Custom Motard

Not really no, gust a gut feeling... Might work but knowing what kind of a cow`s breath those PC fans give vs a proper cooling fan I`d be surprised if it`s enough... Wouldn`t be the first time I was wrong though.

Just out of curiosity where the hell did you get five arctic fans for 16 bux? Usually they`re at least that a pop.

Bashan BS200-S7 '07 Street Quad
Mattson is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Mattson!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-18-2019, 05:58 PM   #1502
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:30 PM
Flip Offs: 34
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattson View Post
Not really no, gust a gut feeling... Might work but knowing what kind of a cow`s breath those PC fans give vs a proper cooling fan I`d be surprised if it`s enough... Wouldn`t be the first time I was wrong though.

Just out of curiosity where the hell did you get five arctic fans for 16 bux? Usually they`re at least that a pop.
Did you just say it might work?

Cow's breath would be awesome. These fans put out the breath of a large frog.

Price was $15.99 + free shipping when I ordered on 07/11/19.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTUJZ36...roduct_details
Smoker is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-19-2019, 04:53 AM   #1503
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 188
Flipped Off 34 Times in 28 Posts
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Got any serious knowledge to back that up?
This is what Chrysler paid me to do; put together cooling packages for parallel cooling systems in hybrid cars. It's a fairly simple thing to do when you have all of the OEM options to pick and choose from.

The biggest differences in the automotive world and the computer world is the massive differences of flow rates.

I will say that I am curious how fast the fan will turn when it's free wheeling (air flow pushing the blades faster than the electric motor). Interested in holding one free steam going down the Interstate to see if the blade flies loose?

A serious question though, with legal lane splitting, do you expect to be idling long enough to even need a fan? With constant air steam to the radiator, those computer fans may reduce your cooling performance.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Casper!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-19-2019, 05:25 AM   #1504
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

OEM radiator core is 16mm thick.
Custom radiator core will probably be 25mm thick.

Put one of the fans up to a 40mm core to see if it would pull air through. Didn't feel much coming through.

Used some smoke to see it a little better. Finally, a good use for the cancer meds.

Also put a 3 inch circle of notebook paper on the other side. The fan did hold the paper.

So, preliminary testing shows the fans are weak. Good job, genius.

If my RZ was running, I could get it up to temp and hold one or two of the fans up to the front of the radiator and see what happens. Hopefully, soon.
These people High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-19-2019, 05:39 AM   #1505
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I will say that I am curious how fast the fan will turn when it's free wheeling (air flow pushing the blades faster than the electric motor). Interested in holding one free steam going down the Interstate to see if the blade flies loose?

A serious question though, with legal lane splitting, do you expect to be idling long enough to even need a fan? With constant air steam to the radiator, those computer fans may reduce your cooling performance.
Good idea on the freeway testing.

Definitely concerned about reducing radiator performance by blocking free flow.

Most RZ owners that have a modified engine use an electric fan. No fan on the stock bike, and it runs hot. I've used one, as well. An actual motorcycle fan works great.
This user High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #1506
Larry02ACR
Fighterer
Larry02ACR's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:30 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

I'm a little surprised you don't have one of those 2 stroke RC aircraft motors in a titanium chassis/shroud, with a carbon fiber fan blade.
Larry02ACR is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Larry02ACR!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-19-2019, 01:21 PM   #1507
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry02ACR View Post
I'm a little surprised you don't have one of those 2 stroke RC aircraft motors in a titanium chassis/shroud, with a carbon fiber fan blade.
Don't think for a second I haven't tried.

Too short on time to re-invent the wheel.
These people High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-19-2019, 07:38 PM   #1508
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
One thing to note with CPU fans is the environment that they are meant to be run at tops out 30°C-40°C below the average coolant temperature from an engine. might be worth while to heat a bit of steel in boiling water and set it on the fans to see if their casing melts at 100°C.
I'll do the meltdown test, too.

Considering your background, I should listen up.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-21-2019, 04:23 AM   #1509
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:30 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 71 Times in 42 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

20ish years ago when I worked in maintenance I became fascinated with ammonia and designed most of a cooling system for a 929 that would use ammonia, so as to get rid of the radiator and all that. I then found out what would happen to me if it leaked and I was near it. Ideas are fun.
tldave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-21-2019, 01:11 PM   #1510
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:30 PM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Ok I must be missing something here.
Why not just use an electric fan from a bike radiator? I have a few on the shelf, you want I send you a couple?

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived mcantar!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes