Smoker's Custom Motard - Page 152 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Smoker's Custom Motard

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #1511
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:52 PM
Flip Offs: 34
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here
Default Re: Smoker's Custom Motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
Ok I must be missing something here.
Why not just use an electric fan from a bike radiator? I have a few on the shelf, you want I send you a couple?
Yes, you missed it. You've got that track disease, taking over your brain.

If I use a puller fan, it will have to go in front of the cradle, and will push the radiator out 60mm or more. I don't think the tire will hit, but I think it looks much better with the radiator closer to the cradle.

I mistakenly assumed I would have room to mount the fan behind, or in-between the cradle bars (as done on the RZ350).

Here, I'm holding an aluminum bar flush with the front of the cradle. The thermostat housing is about 1mm away.

The hose on the thermostat housing angles forward as it goes up, and is flush with the front of the cradle at the top.

If I need to fit a 60mm thick fan between the cradle and radiator, hopefully I can design a fan shroud that helps it look better.

Not feeling a pusher fan.

The red lines in the last pic illustrate another issue. Need a nice radius at the top of the hose from the thermostat to the radiator. Closer the radiator, the tighter the radius.

I know I should stop fucking around and just do whatever I can to finish the bike fast, but I can't help it. If I'm not pushing the limits of my small brain and primitive abilities, it's not fun for me. I can't just buy shit, bolt it on, and be done. Unless I have to.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Smoker!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-21-2019, 04:25 PM   #1512
RS_Raz
Dickhead
Senior Fighterer
RS_Raz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:52 AM
Flip Offs: 10
Flipped Off 8 Times in 8 Posts
RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Not feeling a pusher fan.

Striving to remain dynamic in an ever-evolving environment and shit like that.
RS_Raz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-21-2019, 04:42 PM   #1513
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_Raz View Post
If it's my best option, then let it be.

We can have our own club.
This user High Fived Smoker!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-25-2019, 03:49 AM   #1514
Smoker
BLACK BELT

CPU fan passed the free wheeling test. Used a 2,000 watt blow dryer with a concentrator nozzle.

In the morning, I'll put the fan in a vice for the heat test.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-25-2019, 03:32 PM   #1515
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Full heat and full speed with the blow dryer. Didn't need to go to the heat gun.

Bashed into the free wheeling fan blade with the dryer several times while taking pics.

Held the heat on about 15 minutes. Lost my interest after that.

Didn't notice any change in the fan motor appearance or operation. No change in the appearance or palpable consistency of the housing.

Seems like a tough little fan. Wish it moved more air.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-06-2019, 07:57 AM   #1516
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
It's kosher, just make sure your main ground wire is of sufficient gauge to handle the max combined amperage.
Grounded the battery to the frame, and put power through the ignition key to the m-unit.

Got out a test light and figured out what's grounded, and what's not. Some bolts that hold on bodywork are not, the coating on the steel frame completely prevents grounding, and coating on the aluminum is so-so. Will be sure to ground to bare metal.

Handlebars and clamps are rubber mounted, so no grounding there. Same for the engine.

Triple clamps and bolts grounded well with the bike static.

No issues with titanium nitride coating on the hardware.
This user High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-06-2019, 08:23 AM   #1517
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Looks all mad man.

Just trying to get a general idea of where the wires go, and what they do.

Don't have a schematic for the SXV ignition or the left hand switch gear.

May not be correct, but low & high beams, and horn are working. Trying to test turn signals & tail light next. After that, things will get more difficult.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #1518
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Interesting stuff.

When the thermostat is closed, coolant flows from the head through the small bypass hose (4), to the radiator.

There are no tight bends in the OEM bypass hose, so I was thinking the bend in my custom (routed) hose could be bad for circulation and cooling. Also wondering if backpressure could cook the ceramic bearing prematurely.

Once I started examining the parts, I found out the opening in the OEM bypass tubing fitting is only 3.75mm!! Didn't expect that. The larger 5.75mm opening above goes to the overflow can.

Well, Damn. My custom hose is 8mm ID. Even with the tight bend, it might not make much difference.

I do have a backup plan. I can make a couple of CNC brackets and spin the part from 12 o'clock to 4 o'clock. Tubes will route nicely. Not quite as custom, though.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-06-2019, 10:56 PM   #1519
Mongoose
GURU

CF Addict
Mongoose's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

i'd assume its mostly for air/steam so id isnt that much a concern.
Mongoose is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-07-2019, 11:02 AM   #1520
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
i'd assume its mostly for air/steam so id isnt that much a concern.
I assume coolant is blasting through the bypass hose like a MF because the high-flow impeller is still spinning when the thermostat is closed.

I'm still learning, though....
The Following User Says F-U to Smoker For This Post:
RS_Raz (10-08-2019)

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes