Smoker's Custom Motard - Page 8 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Smoker's Custom Motard

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #71
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:09 PM
Flip Offs: 34
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here
Default Re: Smoker's Custom Motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapyard View Post
So what about this option? Since you're already looking at spending, let's say $2000, for a factory Aprilia frame that you'll end up having to cut up and hope make work with the RZ engine.
I always appreciate the suggestions you guys come up with. That's why I'm posting on this forum - to get help on my projects (and to give help when I can).

I'll be spending thousands, but the initial price on the frame was $550 USD. I thought it was a fair price because the ad said- "This part is in new condition". If you guys have seen my other build thread, you know I'm a pickey mofo, and I don't want used parts- unless they are in new condition, or if I'm going to refinish them.

The parts I listed above were all used, but supposed to be taken off a zero mile bike. Besides what I listed above, I ordered a front and rear axle, and a couple of axle spacers. The price was over $2,200 USD. I did get a small discount off that price for being a nice guy... and spending A LOT of money.

If things go well, these parts will eventually provide me with a cool bike - and another build project to keep me out of trouble for a while.
Smoker is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #72
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
wile your at it you should get this motor kit.
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...e-twin-update/
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...cing-for-kits/
http://www.twostrokeshop.com/TSS.htm
it will probably double (or triple?) the cost of your build but probably do the same in HP
Yes, I'm familiar with their stuff - and I agree, that might be a good way to go.

The only thing is, that engine would be much better suited to my RZ streetfighter bike. I'm pretty sure I can't even use the 70+HP RZ engine to it's potential when riding the motard, so all that extra money for the 550 engine would be wasted.

For all the talk and video from TSS, has anyone seen in person or purchased, a running engine from them - or a big-bore conversion? Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but I've missed it.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-04-2009, 10:31 PM   #73
Scrapyard
Build It Ride It Live It
Scrapyard's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:09 PM
Flip Offs: 6
Flipped Off 20 Times in 14 Posts
Scrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud of
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Fighter of the Month 

Well, I stand corrected then. If you're getting the main frame for that cheap and it's new, or damn close enough, Then trying to shoe horn the RZ motor in there seems a little more practical after all...
Practical? When the hell do we build anything practical, LOL.

Anway, Sounds like you have some big decisions to make. And I now see your deleima with the front motor mount. Looks like you moght have to have a couple of tubes welded up in a drop down fasion to meet the engine. Similar to a Spondon GSXR frame. It can still be stress member, it's just gona take some extra large mounts made to accomplish it.

You've got my gears turning with this one bud. Curious to see how this works out.
Scrapyard is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #74
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckinduc View Post
Are you dead set on using the stock frame? I feel for the long travel rear suspension the swingarm pivot is too far from the counter shaft.

Hope you do it though.
Been checking this out and realized it doesn't matter what frame I use. The countershaft sprocket isn't close to the rear of the engine, like on modern engines.

In the OEM RZ350 frame, the rear of the engine is right next to the swingarm pivot tube , and I'll make sure the engine is close to the SXV pivot tube, as well.

You're right, it's not the best engine to use with a long travel swingarm, but hopefully it won't cause too much chain noise or wear.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #75
Smoker
BLACK BELT

I couldn't figure out why the ad for the Aprilia SXV frame said:

Only sold to a legitimate person who honestly needs a frame. This will not not be shipped without a conference with the racing staff.

You will need to demonstrate legitimate proof of need before this transaction is finalized.

So, I looked up the parts fiches, which said that only the '06-'07 SXV frame is available. The price I saw was $1,930.66 USD plus shipping from England. I haven't spoken to anyone to verify the info, though.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #76
Smoker
BLACK BELT

I know you guys like monster engines- but it makes sense to build the RZ engine to have about the same HP as the SXV engine, that way the components won't be overstressed.

I was just watching this video to get juiced up for the build:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmb2k...eature=related

It would be crazy if I could get this 12 liter SXV tank and cover it with carbon fiber. Maybe if the plastic is firm enough? I'll have to find out about that - wouldn't want delamination problems or cracking. The tank shape is so sick! I think it looks better WITHOUT the plastic radiator shrouds attached.

The tank would need some work, though. It comes with a fuel pump, but the RZ carbs run on vacuum feed.

I've seen a small carbon fiber cover for the top of the standard tank - not sure if it also fits this oversize tank. If it's not good to wrap this tank, it might be possible to make some carbon side covers for it.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #77
firefirefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Wow. Lawson and company are amazing!
  Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #78
shift1313
GURU

shift1313's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:09 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 6 Times in 6 Posts
shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!

You can weld to cast but this can present problems. While it can be done im not sure that i would want to do this for a frame(personally). Ive welded cast aluminum before and depending on the casting methods used, you can end up with weak welds. I would like to assume since Aprilia cast these frame sections to be welded to other parts that their process is/was suited for it.

For me the choice would be simple. Id modify the RZ frame to suit the style swing arm and bodywork I wanted. You've ridden a stock rz, you know its a little on the flexy side so it would be a good project to stiffen up while modding. A nice back bone out or large diameter tubing would let you drop an mx tank off anything pre twin spar. Heck you could probably find a pre 97 CR, Pre 04 yz etc and weld parts of that frame to your rz frame. You can pick up 125s for next to nothing pre 2000. If you find a rolling chassis that will give you brakes, a set of hubs to lace some 17s onto. suspension(would need to stiffen up) and bodywork for a few hundred bucks. Not to mention a full set of new plastics and tank would be cheap if you wanted new stuff.

Thats how i would go with the project.
shift1313 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #79
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernophil View Post
Wow. Lawson and company are amazing!
Dude has balls of steel. Did you see him blow by Jeff Ward on the dirt section?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #80
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Look closely and see if you recognize the bike under the bodywork.

This user High Fived Smoker!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes