power issues need help - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Making Power

Making Power Anything to do with fabricating and modifying engines, carbs, ignition, etc. goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > power issues need help

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #1
titan
hooligan quads

CF Addict
titan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:43 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 14 Times in 2 Posts
titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 
Default power issues need help

so i been testing the build and its down on power

my initial thoughts were the exhaust as i put straight throughs on it. today i fitted some baffles and its made little difference. it's like the clutch is pulled ever so slightly.

it could be the clutch but i'm confident i have that right

so after porting the head is it possible the lack of go is a jet issue or the air flow is too restrictive. the engine all revs fine, idles fine so i'm stuck with either the clutch is setup wrong or i need to rejet the carbs

any advice much appreciated

ride it like you stole it

Customization not Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
H Designs

2020 build off - build - chat
titan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #2
beezwiz
GURU
CF Addict
beezwiz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 7
Flipped Off 15 Times in 9 Posts
beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: power issues need help

I'd pull the clutch pack to see if theres burn slippage on the drives first. What do the plugs (spark) look like... white for real lean mixture? Same how does the exhaust look / smell? Smell Like fuel or Look like sooty black smoke when blippin' the throttle?
beezwiz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-12-2018, 03:04 AM   #3
whitey818
The Glistening Turd
CF Pimp
whitey818's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:43 PM
Flip Offs: 7
Flipped Off 26 Times in 12 Posts
whitey818 has much to be proud ofwhitey818 has much to be proud ofwhitey818 has much to be proud ofwhitey818 has much to be proud ofwhitey818 has much to be proud ofwhitey818 has much to be proud ofwhitey818 has much to be proud ofwhitey818 has much to be proud ofwhitey818 has much to be proud ofwhitey818 has much to be proud ofwhitey818 has much to be proud of

Check the clutch cable also, make sure there is some slack and not applying pressure to the clutch when not engaged. Sometimes the simple things are the last we look for.

"Some men aren't looking for anything logical. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn." Alfred Pennyworth
whitey818 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-12-2018, 03:27 AM   #4
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Not bashing on your build bike, but is it possible it just feels weak after riding your XSR?

Kind of an odd comparison, but my XR400 felt like a torque monster for long time, then I got my FZ. Instantly the XR felt so weak that I suspected I finally killed it's clutch. Nothing wrong at all with the XR.

Like Beez said, definitely read the plugs, though. And porting almost always moves the torque up the rpm range.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-12-2018, 04:28 AM   #5
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 02:43 AM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

The clutch ratchet thingy can be tricky on the old xj, but I'm sure you'd recognise the difference between lost power and a slipping clutch, right?

Wouldn't be surprised if it wants bigger jets by now. Are you into doing plug chops? otherwise just get it on a Dyno.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-13-2018, 01:14 AM   #6
bandakias
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 03:43 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
bandakias is a NOOB

You need to adjust your carbs. You are running lean.
bandakias is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-13-2018, 02:41 PM   #7
titan
hooligan quads

CF Addict
titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

thanks all plenty to dig into this weekend

@beezwizplugs getting pulled tomorrow there is a bit of fuel smell.
@whitey818 part of the problem is probably in need of a new cable so ordering one as soon as my move is done, i think this one is out of adjustment.
@a_morti i already messed the release position up but sorted that. i thought i did hahaha it's very much like slipping all rev and no go. but having gone through it all seems fine. i maybe wrong it could turn out to just be the clutch and i'm missing something on my adjustments but its my first time lol mistakes will be made. jets will be getting done as i would still like to attempt deboxing it
@bandakias it is much better now i have had a play but think the jetting is now off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
Not bashing on your build bike, but is it possible it just feels weak after riding your XSR?

Kind of an odd comparison, but my XR400 felt like a torque monster for long time, then I got my FZ. Instantly the XR felt so weak that I suspected I finally killed it's clutch. Nothing wrong at all with the XR.

Like Beez said, definitely read the plugs, though. And porting almost always moves the torque up the rpm range.
i thought part of it was the fact i been riding the XSR but it can't be it's too underpowered

i think it's part of both, clutch and carbs. i think new cable and better adjustment on the clutch and a rejet should work

more work required may have been a premature worry

Quote:
I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
H Designs

These people High Fived titan!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #8
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 02:43 AM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Easy enough to test clutch slip. Up hill and or high speed , so max power demand. Whack throttle open... Does it slip?

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived a_morti!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-14-2018, 03:42 AM   #9
titan
hooligan quads

CF Addict
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
Easy enough to test clutch slip. Up hill and or high speed , so max power demand. Whack throttle open... Does it slip?
Yep I know how to test for a slipping clutch. But that's the problem it's like it's slipping from the get go. Having to rev the balls off it to getting moving

Quote:
H Designs

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-17-2018, 10:46 PM   #10
TURNIP
GURU
CF Lover
TURNIP's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

I mean, if the clutch is out and the motor revs but the wheel doesn't, something's slipping. Jetting issues can't make the wheel RPM independent of the engine RPM. On that note, if you're not experienced with adjusting jetting based on properly conducted plug chops, just do what morti says and get it on a dyno - trying to learn it while troubleshooting a problem by yourself is a quick way to get pissed off and waste a bunch of time, money and effort to no effect

This space intentionally left blank.
TURNIP is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived TURNIP!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Making Power