Smoker's Custom Motard - Page 140 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Smoker's Custom Motard

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-26-2019, 12:34 PM   #1391
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:51 PM
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Smoker's Custom Motard

there is no way the welder never saw that
yantosh is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived yantosh!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #1392
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:51 PM
Flip Offs: 33
Flipped Off 12 Times in 11 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
there is no way the welder never saw that
I agree 100%.

That's the worst part.

Not to mention he asked me to pay for the next pipes up front, before I found out about this.
Smoker is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-26-2019, 04:07 PM   #1393
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:51 PM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

What a cunt.
Take that shit back and tell him to fix it. If he says no, blast him on Google reviews.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived mcantar!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-26-2019, 04:41 PM   #1394
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:51 PM
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

or batter his cunt in
yantosh is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-26-2019, 05:09 PM   #1395
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

No. It's not that bad.

Also, maybe he didn't see it, or think it was that bad. I don't know. I know I would have seen it.

Before I picked up the bike, Jeff offered to re-make the stingers. He completely forgot my design and did his own thing. I didn't ask him to re-make them, I figured there was a technical reason for doing it differently, but no. Guess he felt bad.

Remember, he has my Streetfighter bike, and I've already paid big money up front for the next pipes.

Bottom line is, Jeff is the best person I know to make my pipes. Actually, there's not even a second choice, right now. And the Supermoto pipes are bad-ass. No doubt.

I don't mean to be a harsh critic, but I like to discuss details, both good and bad.

There can't be anyone that makes more mistakes than I do. I try to remember that.
This user High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-26-2019, 05:32 PM   #1396
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Other side of the same flange has burn-through on the sealing surface directly under the o-ring.

Can't be good for sealing.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-26-2019, 06:11 PM   #1397
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:51 PM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

Yeah, that weld got WAY too hot. What you're seeing is referred to as "sugaring" and it happens when two circumstances are met:
1: Backside of material being welded was not covered with shielding gas, as is proper.
2: Weld was hot enough that material outside of the weld got to a reactive temperature, and without shielding gas it reacted with atmo.

Basically, what's happened is the elements making up the alloy have oxidized and, also as a product of getting that hot, the chromium has been burned out of it (aka, it's no longer stainless and can rust).

Properly done, there should be no flex of that flange and the weld itself shouldn't be colorized past a light purple hue at worst. Gold/straw or lighter (lighter being closer to silver color) is ideal.

Some color examples so you know what to look for:

Neither of those were brushed or otherwise cleaned post welding (coloration will come off with abrasive). Note the coloring on the weld, as well as the extent that the heat-affected zone extends out from the weld (i.e. minimally).
If you were welding your own shit this would be different. But this is something you're paying for... I don't know how much, but what you got is most certainly not worth your money in terms of quality.

Might be worth having a conversation with Jeff about doing the design and fitup, but leaving the actual welding to someone else. I know there are capable welders in Cali.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived mcantar!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-28-2019, 09:36 PM   #1398
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Each pipe has 4 o-rings to seal the engine side.

First o-ring seals between the exhaust port and the engine flange. Photo is just a few posts back.

Second o-ring seals between the engine flange and the end of the pipe collar.

2 o-rings inside the pipe collar.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-31-2019, 02:24 AM   #1399
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
Might be worth having a conversation with Jeff about doing the design and fitup, but leaving the actual welding to someone else. I know there are capable welders in Cali.
I tried that with the last pipes.

He prefers to do the welding himself.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-31-2019, 04:27 AM   #1400
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Needed to cut down the spring ends to fit thtough the triangle openings.

These people High Fived Smoker!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes