Smoker's Custom Motard - Page 45 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Smoker's Custom Motard

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #441
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:51 PM
Flip Offs: 33
Flipped Off 12 Times in 11 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here
Default Re: Smoker's Custom Motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybuilt View Post
hi smoker ! one thing i found a must when welding alu parts is the ground .alot of welders will ground the welding table and set the part down and go at it. the problum is so much curent is used that it will burn the point of contact .if you can provide a ground lug like mabay a thread in bolt that he can run the clamp to might be a good idea.

just thought i would say that incase you didnt allready know . bike`s look`s stunning smoker
True that - I don't know shit about welding. But, I did buy the MIG, and I'm willing to learn.

I'll try to find a good place on the (aluminum part of the) frame for a ground bolt. Then, when I take it to the welder, he might not think I'm such a dumbass.
Smoker is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Smoker!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #442
jaybuilt
or just jay

CF Addict
jaybuilt's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:51 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 9 Times in 2 Posts
jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

hi smoker my budd just a Q about the frame plugs .are you going to counter bore the plug for the tube to sit in befor welding or bore a hole all the way through them ?
jaybuilt is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #443
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Quote:
hi smoker my budd just a Q about the frame plugs .are you going to counter bore the plug for the tube to sit in befor welding or bore a hole all the way through them ?
Yeah, I know what you're saying. Drilling both end plates so that the tube can pass through both - that way the weight/force isn't borne by the welds between the tube and end plates.

The difficulty with doing that is the end plates are not parallel to each other on any axis. I could weld the end plates in, then find identical aligned centers on each - then drill with a hole saw. But, the end plates aren't much bigger than the crossbrace tubing, making that job more difficult.

That's the purpose of the 1 1/8 inch PipeMaster - to fit the ends of the tubing to the unequal end plates. The NASA welder is gonna make sure the welds will hold all the way through re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-15-2010, 12:43 AM   #444
jaybuilt
or just jay

CF Addict
jaybuilt's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:51 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 9 Times in 2 Posts
jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

I see smoker .let me tell ya this about the alu section of my frame .two 3/8 6061 and the three 3/16 6061 tubes were the the most dificult part of the outlaw to fab up beacouse of the warpage during welding the first one i thought would be ok with the extencive jig i built .nope through them both out and started over.next one came out good but was under so much tention it rang like a bell ,scrapted it and kept jig but
changed weld sequence and bored pocket`s for the tubes.the alu sec of your frame is ribed so it will be ok when the pucks are welded in but the tube welding is not as easy as it looks. be on your game that day and all will workout.i hope i dont sound like mr welder that knows all and is over engenearing shit .but if i didnt say somthing about what i learned than why be hear you know what i mean.

your 2stroke bro jaybuilt
ps sorry about spelling
jaybuilt is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived jaybuilt!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-16-2010, 01:54 AM   #445
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Received the aftermarket tail light from GB.

The red lens has a clear part underneath to light the plate. There's also a full clear lens.

This will replace the huge OEM scaffolding that hangs off the rear.

Ordered steel from McMaster-Carr. Need to order OEM SXV parts from GB.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-18-2010, 01:40 AM   #446
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Houston...we have liftoff! (Well, at least the welding has begun.)

The NASA welder can really weld, but getting him to do it is tough. He's rarely in the shop, and he said he'd be there today after 12:30 to 1pm. So I show up at 12:30, and he's getting in his truck to go to lunch. He says he'll be back in an hour. Then he wanted me to leave the frame and pick it up later. He wasn't happy about doing it while I waited, but he did.

It's difficult to see in the pics, but the entire bead sticks up about 0.5mm above level. Looks like full penetration of the plate, too. He went further with the weld than I wanted him to, and part of the bead for the cross brace may have to overlap the end plate bead. Hope that's okay.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #447
Pariah
Stupid motherfucker
Pariah's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:51 AM
Flip Offs: 504
Flipped Off 402 Times in 164 Posts
Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Smoko mate, I've just spent all morning catching up on the last 5 months developments. Keep doing what you're doing because what you're doing is so damn right.

It's not so bad as long as you can keep the fear from your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Looks good, but I would prefer titanium nipples.
Street Triple
Supercharged Street Triple
Pale Horse XJ750
Pariah is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Pariah!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-18-2010, 11:03 PM   #448
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
i hope i dont sound like mr welder that knows all and is over engenearing shit .but if i didnt say somthing about what i learned than why be hear you know what i mean.
I always look forward to your posts, and appreciate any advice you are willing to give.

I know very little about welding, and less about welding aluminum. I figured Mr NASA would knock out each bead in about 20 seconds - NO WAY - dude was probably blazing for over 5 minutes per side. I didn't think it was possible to weld that slow! Don't know what machine he was using but it was big and loud, and sounded like a shitload of power. I'll try to get some details on his technique.

I asked Mr Nasa if he did portable welding. He said yeah, but it's expensive. I told him I need to place the engine (at home) and tack or weld on the mounting brackets, so I'll pay. He said - $100 per hr + 2 hr minimum. I said okay, I have enough welding to make it worthwhile.

Then he start up with - well, it's gonna be months, because of this other job, plus the portable machines are shit compared to these, so it's really not a good idea, etc. etc.

So how come you told me you do portable??? (I didn't say that!) He seems like a nice guy, but overworked.

I couldn't think of another option at that point, so I asked if I could take up a small amount of his shop space to set up the bike there, and he said yes. Don't know if it will actually be possible, though. I didn't even see a space big enough to put my bike.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-18-2010, 11:12 PM   #449
ROBBO
MAJOR FOOKIN' CATASTROPHY
ROBBO's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:51 PM
Flip Offs: 643
Flipped Off 1,366 Times in 753 Posts
ROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month Default Medal Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Tha stuff he did looks real neat ! I have found it dificult ta get welders motivated ! ...

...ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR ALL...
ROBBO' 2009

2019 winter build thred GL1100 https://www.customfighters.com/forum...d.php?t=136656
2019 winter build discus place http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=136658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post

Fucking reaper better fear me.
ROBBO is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived ROBBO!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-18-2010, 11:32 PM   #450
Smoker
BLACK BELT

The price for the welding was $20 USD per side.

I know he wasn't really happy about that, and I have a feeling he's gonna make up for it in the future.

(He told me $40 when I came in the first time.) He looked so unhappy when I gave him the $40, I said - "If it was more work, I'm happy to pay more - I know your work is really good." - He just said "No."

IMO, I've got to do multiple things at the same time, so I can give him a bigger lump sum of cash - otherwise, he isn't gonna be happy.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes