Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1990 to 1998 Kawasaki ZZR600/ZX6 interchangeable parts?

24K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  RJ ZX6 
#1 ·
Hey fellas (and felladies),
Ive been hunting around on info about the zzr600/zx6, 1990 to 1998 models.

Mainly been looking for the differences between the models and also what parts are interchangable.

If anyone could post some relevant links that would be great, and really apreciated.
(ide use the search function, but my stupid phone wont let me)

or even if those knowledgable on the subject could outline the differences for me?

I have a 1990 ZZR600, and i am wondering if there are any relatively easy (bolt on maybe?) upgrades worth my doing.
Either for asthetic or performance gain.

#3 ·
Can you post a pic of your bike? The way you're describing it, you have what was called a ZX6D here and they ended production in 1993. From 1994-02 we got the ZX6E. Both are modifiable but not much is considered bolts on for them. Post a pic of what you have and we'll sort it out :)

#4 ·
600D and 600E motors share many parts, although there are differences in the big ends, rods, valve stem diameters, camshafts, 2nd/5th gear output shaft. However the ZX6F/G onwards share no parts other than the discs really, certainly no engine parts, and other than the odd cycle part they are not interchangeable. However it is possible to fit ZX6R F/G model pistons into a ZX6E model giving 637cc, it is not just a straight rebore, the deck heights are slightly different, and the ZX6E combustion chamber needs to be reshaped in order to fit the piston crown.
I can take the ZX6E motor taken out to 798cc, but it isn't cheap or easy, but it can be done.

Reactions: WasntMe!
#6 ·
I actually dont have the bike yet. (have one more payment to go)
*embaressed grin

But i will put pics up as soon as i get it.

Im fairly certain its a ZZR 600D

Yeah i was just wondering if itd be possible (and any point) to pilfering parts off later model bikes. Mainly for performance gains i guess. (not much i like about the look of em when stock, so no point there)

#18 ·
I own a 1990 Zx6 D ( it’s the same as ZZR600D) I had got it new in Germany. The only things I did to up grade performance, to take out the flat spots in performance. A 5 degree timing advance, a Vance & Hines exhaust , rejeting of the carburetors, reshim the valves as needed, synchronized the carburetors, opened the airbox(questionable: more air vs undisturbed air)
All & all don’t go through trying to pump up 90-92 Zx6/ZzR600 # 1 newer bikes are 100% advanced,you can get 900’s 1,000’s that weigh less! & put out more than most can handle,#2 parts are not available. My bike used to top out at 150+ on the Autobahn, my friend’s ZX11 used to walk away from me at 150mph, but couldn’t shake me on back roads

#7 ·
Have ya got the bike yet mate? I've been waiting for a fellow ZX6D owner update lol

AFAIK;
You can put E model cams in, they're longer duration.
A 4-1 'zorst will get her sounding pretty and lose a few KG.
Do a K&N filter and factory-pro or Dyno-jet kit.
Slot the holes on the ignition pipck up and you should end up with 4 degrees advance, remember to run it on nice petrol though.
The factory headers have perforated pipe in 'em from the collector right to the outlest where they cans slip on, get rid of it or buy a set of headers.
I was other people telling you that you will have ram air, no you don't they are wrong! The D model had a normal set up, but keep the air box.

Bolt on upgrades?
The gold NISSIN brakes from later 90's Fireblades, VTR1000 Firestorms etc are an easy swap

For any other information visit zzr-international.co.uk
Mustapha-dump is pretty bloody on to it (or he talks some epic accurate shit lol)

#9 ·
any kawi front forks will bolt up. Just get the bearing and slap it together.

ZX7R inverted front bolts on, ZX6R stuff bolts on, 636 inverted stuff bolts on

For "power" gear it down two in the front and 3 in the back. Uni foam filter and find a header

#10 ·
Update real soon.
sorry havnt been on.
bought a house so no cash.
on the gold coast now, things have settled, so BACK TO IT!!!!!
Pics and update coming shortly ;)

Reactions: ROBBO