Always wanted a bow... - Page 5 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Anything non-motorcycle related goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Always wanted a bow...

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-07-2019, 08:38 PM   #41
Larry02ACR
Fighterer
Larry02ACR's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:20 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Always wanted a bow...

If you decide to build another one, these shaping wheels are bad ass for quick shaping:

Larry02ACR is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Larry02ACR!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-08-2019, 06:11 AM   #42
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:20 AM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

Thanks for the tip, didn't know such a thing existed. Looked locally with the search phrase rasp disc and found several hits although they seem to be a bit on the pricy side. I do have the still unfinished guitar project to see through some day but with the ungodly mess that is the garage right now wood dust absolutely everywhere it might be a while til I wanna go through the inevitable cleanup looming in the near future. At this moment wouldn't even think of grinding metal there let alone weld anything.

Bashan BS200-S7 '07 Street Quad
Mattson is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-08-2019, 09:18 AM   #43
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:20 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Yeah, dust explosions are a real thing. Scary stuff that's easy to overlook.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-08-2019, 04:57 PM   #44
Larry02ACR
Fighterer
Larry02ACR's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattson View Post
Looked locally with the search phrase rasp disc and found several hits although they seem to be a bit on the pricy side.
They do cost a bit, but they are worth it.

This is a coped truss I built with my brother using those shaping discs.

Larry02ACR is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Larry02ACR!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-09-2019, 02:58 PM   #45
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

First full mock-up assembly, still some fine tuning to do here and there.

Couldn't find suitable thumb nuts but I DID find thumb screws so swapped to T-nuts. Not as estethically pleasing but easier to work with.

Ref pic of how big the whole thing is gonna be. Next up is studying how to make a string, probly using sth called a single loop flemish string as that seemed the easiest to do and doesn't require me to build a rig as an endless loop string would.

These people High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #46
makenzie71
GURU
Fighterer
makenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to all

An endless loop requires a jig that is literally a board with two nails in it. You're going to have to jig out pretty much any string to get length correct.

You do what you think is best, but I always opt for the endless loop. The only downside is that the loops are half thickness but with modern cording it doesn't matter. It takes me half an hour to make a decent flemish twist...it takes me two minutes to make a loop. An endless loop also doesn't come apart when the braid fails.
makenzie71 is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived makenzie71!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-09-2019, 03:12 PM   #47
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Hmm then probly gonna study a little more. I couldn't source dacron locally but got a spool of SpiderWire 0.30mm Dura4 braid fishing line in hi-vis yellow instead, gonna need to learn next how many passes do I need if one line takes 64lb.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-09-2019, 03:19 PM   #48
makenzie71
GURU
Fighterer
makenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to all

If you want dacron you generally have to hit the internet...shops will have it but sometimes they;re not keen on selling it.

I don't know what you have in the way of craft/hobby stores, but here we have box craft stores called Hobby Lobby and Micheals and so on...they all carry stuff labeled as artificial sinew. Which is just waxed nylon. That's what I use for 90% of my strings and it works okay. There's a couple of different varieties and some stretch, some don't, and it's crap shoot as to what's what but for $10 for a spool that can make 50 strings it's a reasonable gamble.

The braided spiderwire fishing line is the same polyester compound as dacron
makenzie71 is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #49
makenzie71
GURU
Fighterer

Don't worry so much about weight. The cheap nylon I use has something like a 8lb tensile strength so mostof my bows would only "need" five or six passes...which would take the skin off my fingers about as efficiently as piano wire. Run enough threads that it's comfortable to hold. As you get some experience you can thin the strings down to what suits best.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #50
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

I do have a thumb release in the mail somewhere coming my way so not worried about that. If that's so then just for the hell of it gonna do a double color string using the spool of fishing net repair line I got for binding line as the black color. I think it's some sort of braided nylon, I suppose sth like 2x4+2x2 passes should suffice then for a flemish twist (I wanna learn to make one)

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion