Always wanted a bow... - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Anything non-motorcycle related goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Always wanted a bow...

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-29-2019, 06:06 PM   #1
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:06 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 
Default Always wanted a bow...

...so figured since there`s no metal work going on in the garage for the foreseeable future might as well make one as nearly all of the needed materials can already be found around the house.

For this project I selected Rosegum and Jarrah as the woods partly for their characteristics and mostly because both can already be found from the wood rack. Pros and cons for these are: Rosegum a.k.a. Eucalyptus grandis has a bit of a flex to it even though it`s a fairly dense wood but still fairly easy to work with hand tools. Jarrah a.k.a. Eucalyptus Marginata however is extremely dense and has interlocked grain which makes it so hard it in fact has a dulling effect on cutting edge tools, and as you guessed it is extremely heavy which is why I chose that to be the outer wood as most of it will be cut away so when I`m done with the shaping I should have a fairly pretty riser for what will eventually be a composite recurve takedown bow. And as the more keen viewers probly spotted there are also black veneer between the planks to improve the look, because hell since I had it why not put it to use.

The limbs of this bow will be made from an old pair of skis that belonged to my late father, they are Järvinen RSS Evolution skating skis which are stiffer than normal cross country skis so based on what I`ve found around the internet I`m expecting the finished product to have a draw weight of somewhere around 25-35lbs.

Drawing out the desing making some final adjustments. The original one had all kinds of fantasy talons and stuff but I figured if I commit this much effort to making this I might as well adopt the same doctrine as with the still unfinished guitar project that I will make it so I can still in my seventies say without shame to my grandchildren that yes papa made that when I was young.

Good lord this stuff is hard... the sawed off surface is actually smooth enough to somewhat gleam. That`s as far as I got today as my vice decided to break when changing position so had to dedicate the rest of today`s "noise time" to fixing that.

Watch this space for further updates in case you happen to be interested and/or know something about bows. Feedback is also welcome, negative in particular as long as it`s in constructive method as that`s when we learn. I`m not that interested in the penetrating or stopping power of the finished product as I am with the whole concept of spring powered weaponry, be it a bow a slingshot or something in between.

Bashan BS200-S7 '07 Street Quad
Mattson is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Mattson!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-29-2019, 06:23 PM   #2
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:06 PM
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Always wanted a bow...

build off bow?
yantosh is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-29-2019, 06:42 PM   #3
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

Just a short jaunt at woodworking before I fill the garage with things that go braap again.

This user High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-29-2019, 09:18 PM   #4
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:06 PM
Flip Offs: 34
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Wow.
Smoker is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-30-2019, 01:38 AM   #5
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:06 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

I dig the three layers. I'm in
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-30-2019, 02:36 AM   #6
Larry02ACR
Fighterer
Larry02ACR's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:06 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

What is the thin black material sandwiched in between?
Larry02ACR is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-30-2019, 03:14 AM   #7
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Wood veneer, not entirely sure what wood but assuming birch, stained through. Got a bunch of offcuts free from a company I used to frequently pickup cargo back in my trucking days.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-30-2019, 11:35 AM   #8
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp
XxGRYMMxX's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:06 PM
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 13 Times in 10 Posts
XxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on here

cool stuff. subbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
They can ban, outlaw, and restrict whatever they please. I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I'm doing, because I don't really give a shit. The only thing that will change is that I'll be breaking their made up bullshit rules while doing it, and I'm comfortable with that.

My Build http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=118649
XxGRYMMxX is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived XxGRYMMxX!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-30-2019, 11:40 AM   #9
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Just learnt today that my neighbor has a bandsaw at their cabin not too far away so gonna go do the rough shaping there this saturday, also need to buy a new half-moon rasp file as my current one appears to have gone the way of mr.Houdini, trying to get this forward over the weekend.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-31-2019, 01:11 AM   #10
makenzie71
GURU
Fighterer
Local Time: 03:06 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
makenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to all

lol I LOVE it. I've been a long time bowyer. You have taken on quite a challenge with your little project. My first inclination would be to tell you take maybe put that one aside for a little while and have a go at something a bit simpler...about 3/4 of your bows will break or just not turn out and it can be disappointing if your first take is a dud when you started with nice materials...but I dove in without heeding that advice myself haha (and cried a little but oh well).

This is just the stuff I have hanging above my computer. I've got a whole closet full of bows and about five 5-gallon bucckets full of arrows haha.

My son shooting in 4H. He doesn't score well compared to the other kids, but all the other kids are shooting high end compounds with peeps and lasers and shit...but I think he looks cooler shooting off his wrist with only his eyeballs for sights.

I also really like making bows from PVC. This is my daughter pull testing the one I made for her last winter...38" nock to nock and pulls [email protected]" (only about 15lbs at her draw). It's made from 1" SCH40 pipe and is a clean shooter.

Sorry for the thread jack! I'm just an archery nut and I really like seeing people make their own stuff. I can't wait to see how it turns out!
makenzie71 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived makenzie71!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion