3D printers - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > General Streetfighter Discussion

General Streetfighter Discussion Discussions about streetfighter riding.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > 3D printers

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-26-2020, 02:05 PM   #1
titan
hooligan quads

CF Addict
titan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:35 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 14 Times in 2 Posts
titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 
Default 3D printers

I see more people getting into theses, in the past I have had my mate print stuff for me but I'm thinking about taking the plunge, question is whats set up are people using??

Don't really want to spend a shit load..

ride it like you stole it

Customization not Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
H Designs

2020 build off - build - chat
titan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived titan!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-26-2020, 07:02 PM   #2
TPEHAK
Fighter
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
TPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud of
Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: 3D printers

Original Prusa i3 MK3S

https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-print...-mk3-kit.html#
TPEHAK is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
The Following User Says F-U to TPEHAK For This Post:
mcantar (01-26-2020)
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-26-2020, 07:44 PM   #3
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:35 AM
Flip Offs: 46
Flipped Off 22 Times in 21 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month 

Don't get a Prusa. They're soild machines but absurdly overpriced and don't really have any benefit over a machine you can get for a fraction of the cost. There's literally zero reason to shell out the cash for one.

For just getting into the game, Creality's Ender series is your best bet. They have a HUGE following, the Ender 3 is pretty much the most popular printer of all time, and can be had for a bit over $220-250 without sales.
Personally I prefer the Ender 5, it's a better design in my opinion but MSRP is a bit higher around $350. I've had both a 3 and a 5, and the 5 is the one I still have though it's been heavily uh, fighter'd now... I got both for under $200 each.
They print well out of the box, there are literally hundreds of upgrades available for them on thingiverse for you to print out, and there are huge communities around them on FB and Reddit to help when you have issues. Both also have "pro" versions that have a couple upgrades, I think the 5 Pro is much more of a jump capability-wise than the 3 Pro. Just comes down to budget really.
Don't buy direct from Creality, they take a while to ship, instead buy from Amazon and while you're at it search the AMZ Warehouse section for deals. That's how I got my 5 at the price I did and it was brand new unopened.

And yes, it's worth it to get your own. You'll be amazed at how useful it is, for fixing random things and for printing dumb shit.

For the record, my fighter'd 5 has a custom board running my own custom firmware in an electronics enclosure I made, with a top-of-the-line metal hotend and upgraded fans and everything else, which makes it capable of running almost 2x faster than standard and nearly dead silent (these things are loud), AND I have all the materials ready to upgrade it to increase the build plate size by ~30% while streamlining the positioning of everything.... and I'm still into this thing for less than half of what that Prusa costs.

What questions have ya got?

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived mcantar!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-27-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp
XxGRYMMxX's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:35 AM
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 13 Times in 10 Posts
XxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post

what modeling software do you use?

does the printer use specific running software or does the printer come with that stuff?

how much space do these things take up?

so interested in this stuff but have never done anything with 2d/3d modeling or been involved with machining or anything like that.

Quote:
They can ban, outlaw, and restrict whatever they please. I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I'm doing, because I don't really give a shit. The only thing that will change is that I'll be breaking their made up bullshit rules while doing it, and I'm comfortable with that.

My Build http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=118649
XxGRYMMxX is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived XxGRYMMxX!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-27-2020, 03:40 PM   #5
MikeGyver
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
MikeGyver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:35 AM
Flip Offs: 312
Flipped Off 173 Times in 149 Posts
MikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxGRYMMxX View Post
so interested in this stuff but have never done anything with 2d/3d modeling or been involved with machining or anything like that.
I'm in the same boat!

'98 Ducati 916
'00 Ducati 996
'03 SV650(sold)

Skully Stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbuc View Post
yell, "Built not bought mother fucker!" in there face and then spit on their bike and walk off.
MikeGyver is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived MikeGyver!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-27-2020, 04:18 PM   #6
titan
hooligan quads

CF Addict
titan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 14 Times in 2 Posts
titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Don't get a Prusa. They're soild machines but absurdly overpriced and don't really have any benefit over a machine you can get for a fraction of the cost. There's literally zero reason to shell out the cash for one.

For just getting into the game, Creality's Ender series is your best bet. They have a HUGE following, the Ender 3 is pretty much the most popular printer of all time, and can be had for a bit over $220-250 without sales.
Personally I prefer the Ender 5, it's a better design in my opinion but MSRP is a bit higher around $350. I've had both a 3 and a 5, and the 5 is the one I still have though it's been heavily uh, fighter'd now... I got both for under $200 each.
They print well out of the box, there are literally hundreds of upgrades available for them on thingiverse for you to print out, and there are huge communities around them on FB and Reddit to help when you have issues. Both also have "pro" versions that have a couple upgrades, I think the 5 Pro is much more of a jump capability-wise than the 3 Pro. Just comes down to budget really.
Don't buy direct from Creality, they take a while to ship, instead buy from Amazon and while you're at it search the AMZ Warehouse section for deals. That's how I got my 5 at the price I did and it was brand new unopened.

And yes, it's worth it to get your own. You'll be amazed at how useful it is, for fixing random things and for printing dumb shit.

For the record, my fighter'd 5 has a custom board running my own custom firmware in an electronics enclosure I made, with a top-of-the-line metal hotend and upgraded fans and everything else, which makes it capable of running almost 2x faster than standard and nearly dead silent (these things are loud), AND I have all the materials ready to upgrade it to increase the build plate size by ~30% while streamlining the positioning of everything.... and I'm still into this thing for less than half of what that Prusa costs.

awesome write up....

questions as above, glad i am not the only one

ride it like you stole it

Customization not Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
H Designs

2020 build off - build - chat
titan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived titan!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-27-2020, 06:36 PM   #7
MikeGyver
MikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too much

With the Ender, how large can you print? What is the max heat tolerance for a finished part? Could you print an airbox?

'98 Ducati 916
'00 Ducati 996
'03 SV650(sold)

Skully Stickers

Quote:
yell, "Built not bought mother fucker!" in there face and then spit on their bike and walk off.
This user High Fived MikeGyver!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-27-2020, 07:50 PM   #8
mcantar

CF Pimp
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxGRYMMxX View Post
what modeling software do you use?

does the printer use specific running software or does the printer come with that stuff?

how much space do these things take up?

Personally I generally reach for AutoCAD, just because I'm more comfortable in it, unless I'm doing something complex enough to warrant Solidworks or Inventor. But, I have those available to me. You'll need money, luck, or not-so-strict morals if you want those.
A looooooot of guys use Fusion 360, because it's free for homegamers, and it's capable enough to do just about anything you could want it to. There are tons of tutorial videos out there for it and any other CAD software, just google what you're trying to do and someone will tell you how. It's easy stuff to learn.
Really, any software will work as long as it can export a model as a .STL file, which pretty much all of em can.

Then you need to generate the G-code (same as any other CNC machine) to tell the printer what to do. The way this is done... unless you're writing code by hand... is with a post generator, which in 3D printer world is called "slicing" software. You import your .STL, tell it all of your parameters (speeds, temps, wall thicknesses, etc.), and it auto-generates the gcode for you.
There are paid and free options, all with their pros and cons. Cura is the most popular, it's pretty damn robust and 100% free. Its what I use most of the time.
Then the gcode gets saved to a file, file gets saved to an SD card, SD card gets popped into the printer and you hit GO. There are ways to run the printer direct through a USB cable, but I don't like to (random forced Windows update, anyone?).

Space like data wise? I dunno, but CAD software usually isn't small.
Physically... I don't have exact measurements but figure on roughly 2'x2'x2' for most of the printers you see. They usually list build volume and overall dimensions on the product description for any of em.

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-27-2020, 08:11 PM   #9
mcantar

CF Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGyver View Post
With the Ender, how large can you print? What is the max heat tolerance for a finished part? Could you print an airbox?
Ender 3 and Ender 5 are both 235x235mm (advertised as 220), with the 3 having 250mm in Z and the 5 having 300mm. Frankly Z height isn't really a big deal, you'll very rarely stretch your legs in that axis especially with the E3 because of how the Y axis is designed.
If you want bigger the CR-10, the E3's big brother, is 300x300x400. Or go the route I did, my E5 will be 355x355x340. But really, it sounds small but you'd be surprised at how much you can get out of that 235mm build plate.

Heat tolerance depends on what you make it out of, of course. Different plastics have different properties and it's up to you to pick the best option for the job... and there are hundreds of different alloys available in filament form for use with printers.
I printed a coil bracket for the vertical cylinder on the Hyper, sits right atop the head and you know how hot that vert head gets. Made it out of a specialized Nylon blend and it's held up fine over like 2 seasons now.
You can select for high heat tolerance, high tensile strength, hard but brittle, tough but malleable, whatever you want. There's even flexible rubber filaments, people have printed watch bands and the like with them.

You could certainly print an airbox. You can print anything. You may need to print it in multiple sections due to build space restrictions, but there's no reason it wouldn't work. Or, print molds to use for a carbon airbox.

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-27-2020, 10:16 PM   #10
MikeGyver

You read my mind with the mold for carbon statement! Is the stuff easy to sand to a glossy finish?

You're getting close to making me spend money I never planned to spend! I assume there is a "mirror" function in the CAD softwares. I like the idea of clicking a button and getting a mirror image. Hated that process for the tank and tail foam sculpting.

'98 Ducati 916
'00 Ducati 996
'03 SV650(sold)

Skully Stickers

Quote:
These people High Fived MikeGyver!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > General Streetfighter Discussion