2009 Buell XB12Scg custom II - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > 2009 Buell XB12Scg custom II

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-18-2020, 01:36 AM   #11
Gixooligan
Visions of Grandeur
Fighterer
Gixooligan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:46 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 3 Times in 3 Posts
Gixooligan is a splendid one to beholdGixooligan is a splendid one to beholdGixooligan is a splendid one to beholdGixooligan is a splendid one to beholdGixooligan is a splendid one to beholdGixooligan is a splendid one to beholdGixooligan is a splendid one to beholdGixooligan is a splendid one to beholdGixooligan is a splendid one to beholdGixooligan is a splendid one to beholdGixooligan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 2009 Buell XB12Scg custom II

Extremely impressive work. Fantastic job!
Gixooligan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Gixooligan!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-19-2020, 09:05 PM   #12
TPEHAK
Fighter
Local Time: 09:46 PM
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
TPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud of
Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Thanks!

Then I had to figure out where and how to mount Motoscope Mini instrument cluster and fuel pressure gauge display. The reason I decided to install fuel pressure gauge is because of the motorcycle had issues with air and fuel delivery or something. The engine heated too fast, average fuel value was too far from default, idle air control mechanism was not enough to keep idle RPM withing necessary limits. I'm not sure what exactly the issue was, but after I rebuilt fuel pump, cleaned and resealed throttle body, cleaned injectors, put stock air filter the problem disappeared. After this I decided to install fuel pressure gauge to make sure the fuel pump is not the issue if the problem will came back because of rebuilding fuel pump and even just checking fuel pressure by conventional method is not fun at all and PITA and I don't want to guess what is wrong. So installing fuel pressure gauge eliminated a lot of hassle and frustration for the future.

There were two options in my mind about how to mount the gauges. First option was to design and machine custom triple tree top bracket with pockets for the gauges. But that was pretty expensive so I was looking for alternative ways so I can save some money. Then I figured out the second option and it was to mount the displays to existing stock Buell Firebolt Top Tree Bracket. After some 3D modelling in SolidWorks the second option looked pretty accurate and I decided to go this way.

Motoscope Mini https://motogadget.com/shop/en/motoscope-mini.html is pretty popular micro gauge. Motogadged and another companies make special brackets for Motoscope Mini with integrated LEDs for displaying signals (neutral gear, turn signals, check engine light, low fuel, oil pressure sensor, etc). They call it Combi Frames https://motogadget.com/shop/en/motos...l?tab=brackets and Motosign https://motogadget.com/shop/en/motosign-mini.html

But I was not able to find something will work for me out of the box so I had to design and build my own "Motosign". So here it is

This is basically custom aluminum bracket for Motoscope with LEDs mounted on prototyping board and potted with epoxy compound - the same way as original Motosign made. The LEDs have integrated resistor so no additional resistors required, they are just soldered directly to the cable wires. Original Motogadged Motosigh cable you can buy online separately and use it for you custom Motosign.

This is the fuel pressure gauge I installed https://www.dynotunenitrous.com/stor...?idproduct=130 Dyno Tune fuel pressure gauge goes with display and fuel pressure sensor. I designed small bracket for the display. I planned to attach the display with double sided adhesive tape to the bracket.

TPEHAK is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-19-2020, 11:44 PM   #13
TPEHAK
Fighter
TPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud of

In order to install the fuel pressure gauge I had to attach the fuel pressure sensor to the fuel rail. So I drilled and tapped a 1/8-27 NPT hole in the rail

Cleaned everything in water jet sink and attached the sensor with some Teflon tape

Assembled the intake manifold and put it back on the engine

These people High Fived TPEHAK!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-21-2020, 12:50 AM   #14
TPEHAK
Fighter

I totally forgot to mention about the horn. Originally horn on Buell XB is allocated in the headlight assembly. But with the new headlight there is no space in that area for horn anymore. In previous build the horn was allocated in the airbox https://www.customfighters.com/forum...7&postcount=19 but there was no space for it in the airbox anymore too.

So I found another a spot for the horn. I planned to allocate it behind the oil radiator on custom bracket on highway footpeg structure and cover it with 3D printed shroud to maintain finished look and to protect from dirt and water splashes

I also had to find a spot for the rear brake fluid reservoir. Originally it was mounted on the seat subframe. But with the new seat I had to find another spot for it. I planned to mount the rear brake fluid reservoir to the existing frame mounting spot and designed adapter for this mount.

This user High Fived TPEHAK!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-22-2020, 02:03 AM   #15
TPEHAK
Fighter

When the necessary parts CAD models were done it was time to start building the parts.

I started from airbox and 3D printed the airbox power management chassis components on FDM 3D printer. I used Raise 3D Pro 2 Plus 3D printer. It has big enough tray size to print the biggest chassis part as one piece without splitting. The part material for the airbox chassis is ABS filament. ABS is enough heat resistant to withstand heat from the engine in the airbox without warping or melting.

I went through a few iterations and tweaks before the chassis perfectly fitted the airbox.

Then I had to modify the airbox parts.

I cut opening in the airbox shells for the wire harness. I laser cut masking tape wit opening profile to mark the opening perimeter for cutting. Then with drills and files finished the job.

There was also a little interference between the airbox an the relay corner I was not able to eliminate because of there was no space in the airbox to move the relay somewhere else. So I marked and cut a hole in this place.

The fuse block cover should be held down with small magnets. I glues a few small magnets with superglue. I used wax cooking paper to level magnets properly with another magnets during curing the glue.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-23-2020, 02:20 AM   #16
TPEHAK
Fighter

Next step was to prototype the parts and check fitment. The reason for this step is to eliminate possible expensive adjustments in the future if the expensive metal parts will not fit properly.

I used FDM 3D printer and PLA plastic filament for prototyping.

Here are cluster for Motoscope Mini and bracket for fuel pressure gauge

Before prototyping the seat I designed and built 3D template to check the airbox cover geometry and performed necessary adjustments in the CAD model to match the actual geometry perfectly. The seat is pretty big part and 3D printing prototype for this part would take a lot of time so this was the fast way to speed up geometry perfecting process before final check.

I laser cut acrylic sheets and glued this 3D template

Once I verified the profile of the airbox to seat interface it was time to prototype the seat itself.

Because of the seat is pretty big part I split the seat for a few pieces and printed them in parallel on different 3D printers to speed up the process

Then I glued the piece together

Also 3D printed the frame elements to check fitment

Then painted the seat prototype with black spray paint to match the final color

Laser cut the foam pads and glued on the seat prototype

And the final step prion building the real metal parts is to check the parts prototypes fitment on the motorcycle

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-23-2020, 05:26 AM   #17
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:46 AM
Flip Offs: 25
Flipped Off 34 Times in 22 Posts
Mattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Some next level shit happening right here... Can only gaze in awe

Bashan BS200-S7 '07 Street Quad
Mattson is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-23-2020, 07:15 AM   #18
Auser6guy
Fighter
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Auser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

Auser6guy is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Auser6guy!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2020, 02:28 AM   #19
TPEHAK
Fighter

After all necessary adjustments have been done I started preparing for ordering the parts. I used http://rpgroupltd.com service to produce the parts. They are Chinese prototyping company and they do decent quality work, they do it fast and not expensive. Of course you have to prepare for them CAD models and all necessary drawings with specifications, like materials, tolerances, tapped holes, finishes, treatment and so on if you want to make this process smooth with minimum troubles.

So I created drawings for each parts with such specifications.

After a couple weeks I had the parts in my hands. The two shiny parts are brackets of the seat frame and they should be mounted to the top portion of the rear shock absorber. Since this area has not to much space to put material on the brackets material should be pretty strong. I decided to use aerospace grade 17-7PH Stainless Steel in Condition A for these brackets. This material is strong as carbon steel even in Condition A and corrosion resistant at the same time. The rest of the parts are 6061-T6 aluminum, sandblasted and black anodized.

I assumed the seat body should be 3D printed on HP Multi Jet Fusion 3D Printer out of Nylon 12 PA Black. I contacted a bunch of prototyping companies who has such 3D printer and most of them did not accept this work because of they thought the part is too big to print it as one solid piece on this 3D printer without issues even the part fits the tray. Finally I found a company who accepted this work. Stratasys Direct Manufacturing https://www.stratasysdirect.com printed the seat for me and it turned out great with black sand blasted finish. The cool thing about this 3D printer is it has very good resolution and after cleaning and sandblasting the part is looks like factory made product. Also the strength of the parts is the same, as if it would be solid injection molded nylon. The part is fused with black pigment all way through so even if you put deep scratch on the part the scratch will have same color as the part. This material is also pretty heat resistant so it should withstand the heat from the engine. It is also UV light resistant and moisture resistant too.

Prototype vs final product

Then I 3D printed trays out of ABS plastic filament on FDM 3D printer for alarm system components (the parts in red circles). The reason to make the trays out of plastic it to provide radio wave transparency for 2 way alarm system antenna.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2020, 02:29 AM   #20
TPEHAK
Fighter

Then it was time to do some small machining work by myself.

I milled and assembled the fasteners for the seat

Then I milled the parts for the seat lock

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes