Knifemaker87's '83 Virago "Instigator" - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2013 Streetfighter Buildoff > 2013 Buildoff Entry Threads

2013 Buildoff Entry Threads All 2013 Buildoff Entry Threads Must Be Posted In Here

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Knifemaker87's '83 Virago "Instigator"

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
Knifemaker87
builder in training

CF Addict
Knifemaker87's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:01 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!
Fighter of the Year Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month 
Default Knifemaker87's '83 Virago "Instigator"

Hey everybody,

discussion goes here:
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=61502

I have already started on this project, but i havent gotten very far, so hopefully it will be entertaining and insightful. I am going to try and put up as much information as i can, but most importantly, i will be posting lots of pictures,m so if you see something you like you can read the dialog if you want, but i will try not to bore you.

A little back-story for those of you that dont know, this is a 1983 Yamaha Virago 920 i got from DeathMetalDan. All i am keeping is the engine, final drive and some of the swingarm. Everything else will be a swap or custom made. The plan is to make a modern cafe racer with a bigbore, air cooled, ironhead V-twin.

Custom frame, modern suspension, spoke wheels, better carbs, better electronics, and all carbon fiber body-work, hopefully including a full carbon fiber tank, as well as some custom machined parts.

Here is where i was on November 2nd:

okay... i thought that might not cut it.. so i scrounged a receipt:

Here are all the major components i have so far: (and no.. that is not the correct rake angle)

Got my front spoke wheel all mounted to my GSXR forks with a custom axle. I still need to make rotor adapters.

also, been playing around with painting chrome...

So that is where i am starting from... Now. On with the build!

CBR 600 F2
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=33094

"Instigator" Virago Build-off thread:
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=75337

"Inistigator" discussion
Knifemaker87 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Knifemaker87!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
Knifemaker87
builder in training

CF Addict
Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!
Default Re: Knifemaker87's '83 Virago "Instigator"

So,
my frame tubing finally came in, so on Saturday i went down to my friend's house and did some work.

I made a new swingarm support frame but as i only have a crappy mig welder all i could do is tack it up as it is 347 stainless.

So, while Mike started working on welding the lower frame i started cutting and bending tubing for the main frame

thankfully i had a plan.

Mike got a good bit of the welding done and had to wait for the stainless to cool to keep it from warping.

i designed the side gussets to help me to line the main frame tubes up and they worked really well.

so we got the main frame welded up

then, while mike finished welding the stainless i checked out his project... Opel GT with a turboed RX-7 wankle.

Once i got home i had to put everything together. I think this should be pretty solid..

it is actually starting to look like a bike! i am really stoked

Got some plans for beefing up the stock swinger with the extra tubing, and i have plans for a new rear hub so i can run a 16" spoke wheel in the back and convert the back brake to a rotor.

oh, also, i am going to buy Mike's old TIG welder. he sent it home with me to try out. SO EXCITED!

thats all folks! more soon!
thanks
~Chris

CBR 600 F2

"Inistigator" discussion
Knifemaker87 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
Knifemaker87
builder in training

CF Addict

Hey guys,
not a huge update been working crazy hours. however due to the work however due to the fact that once a program is proven i am just watching the machine run, i got some triples made on the other machine... (sorry for the cell-phone pics)

I am also doing the boring work of getting the TIG set up and the rear brackets made so that i can locate and weld up my frame. Once the frame is located and welded up all i need to do it make a rear shock mount and i will have a roller and the subframe and body-work can commence.

I will be honest i am really tired of looking at a bar engine sitting on my table. it is time for progress!

CBR 600 F2

"Inistigator" discussion

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
Knifemaker87
builder in training

CF Addict

Hey everybody,
Finally got the rear mounts made...

and then it turns out that the mounts were too wide to work with the engine mounts, so i had to modify them, but i am using the stock rubber mounts for isolating the vibration. i made a stainless mount to replace the rubber one to hold the brackets in position while welding.

Then, i used some G10 to mock up the parts before cutting on the real parts

then i used the templates to mark the real parts and clamped them together before grinding them to make sure that they came out exactly the same.

tacked the parts up on the frame after making sure everything was lined up a straight, then took the brackets off and welded them up.

after that i bolted them up, i welded them up to the frame.

once those mounts were welded up i re-checked everything before grinding them main tubes. Sorry no pictures of that as my camera had died. Again, everything was tacked before removing the frame from the engine to weld it all up.

I am starting to get used to how the TIG welder works, and to be honest the welding on the rear mounts is pretty ugly. However i am pretty happy with the later welds

So, 95% of the welding on the main frame is done now, and i just need to make the rear shock mounting point and get it welded on before i can get this thing off the table and on its own legs.

thanks for looking!
more soon.
~Chris

CBR 600 F2

"Inistigator" discussion
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Knifemaker87
builder in training

CF Addict

Hey everybody!
i have been quite lax in checking my email due to how busy i have been. However, due to my work schedule i have been able to get some working done.

I have to build the rotor adapters to tie the Harley wheel to the R1 rotors and the GSXR750 forks and calipers. I got all the dimensions and made a prototype.

After tweaking the design slightly i made the real ones. I need to find the correct fasteners. I need 7/16 stainless bolts and 10mm-1.25 preferably button head. Anybody have a good resource for fasteners? if i can i will just make them.

There is very little room to hold the nuts holding the adapter to the wheel are hard to get to so i am going to make a custom bolt pattern rather than using single bolts, or at least making a mechanical lock for them so it doesn't require a wrench.

I also got a tire for $20 to mock everything up. just waiting on a tube.

I also didnt really like how little support i had for the front engine mounting points, so i made some bolsters to spread the load.

So with the mounting point bolstered, i mocked up the triples and forks as well as figured out the shape and size of the rear mounting point.

I wanted to make the rear shock locate correctly without a complicated jig. So this is what i came up with:

the plate fits into the tube to locate it left to right as well as square, and then the side plates are CNCed to be identical mirror images and were step milled to provide the offset needed to the with of the rear shock as well as providing the vertical adjustability before i weld it.

I made some gauges to keep the part square and the correct width. The part is so stout as it will be not only the rear shock mount but also be used to tie in the lower frame and support the subframe.

I didnt get any time in the garage this weekend due to the holiday and having to work on a critical project at work, but i am hoping to the get mount welded up tomorrow, and the front tire mounted this week, then i will have a roller!

more soon!
thanks for looking
~Chris

CBR 600 F2

"Inistigator" discussion
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Knifemaker87
builder in training

CF Addict

hey guys,
if you would like to post a comment, which i appreciate, they go here:
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=61502

Got another small update.

I wanted to be able to brace the swingarm support and tie it into the main frame. so i made some couplers here:

they would go together like this:

I got the rear shock mount welded to the frame as well as the brace mount however.. i didnt like how it looked and how it worked.

So i decided to go a different route that i think looks alot better and is alot stronger.

it looks a lot more thought out in my opinion and is much stronger even though it was easier to make in many ways

So, the frame is all welded up, the swinger is braced and the shock is mounted.

I am going to get my front tire mounted on Saturday and will be able to get this beast on its own feet for the first time. then i can design my subframe and then it will be going back up on the table to make the new swinger and rear hub, as well as the subframe. Once that is done then i can start on the body-work.

CBR 600 F2

"Inistigator" discussion
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
Knifemaker87
builder in training

CF Addict

small but important update here...

first off.. i got the front tire mounted and got the rotors and calipers sorted.

And with a couple forum members help got the bike on its own wheels!

boOYEAH!

and now the side shot so i can design the subframe

The swing arm angle will not be quite severe with the improved design.

it is a lot smaller than i thought... although that may be just because of my wife's delightful cooking

I would really appreciate your input on the stance/overall setup
thanks!
~Chris

CBR 600 F2

"Inistigator" discussion
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
Knifemaker87
builder in training

CF Addict

okay.. an even smaller but important update. I took one of the above pictures and made it into a mirror image of the picture so everything is on the wrong side but it is to scale so i can draw up body design, and i would love you input.

I am also attaching an "empty" frame if you have ideas of your own. at this point i would take design input from anyone.

so here we go:

Empty frame:

All angles, high tail

Smoother.. lower angle with more of a retro flare

Angles and curves medium tail height:

i would appreciate your input. the body-work will be all carbon fiber. I am also trying to figure out subframe design (though the last picture is the only one with a subframe in it.. those are my proposed subframe mounting points)

thanks!
~Chris

CBR 600 F2

"Inistigator" discussion
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
Knifemaker87
builder in training

CF Addict

okay... so now we enter a critical phase. uber precise work.

the biggest thing to take into account with this work is having good boxes that you have been hoarding. Sadly quite a few gave their lives for this work. you will not have died in vain!

I didnt get pictures as i cut the tempolates down as i was decidedly unhappy with them. the number oine rule is.. cut it out bigger than you think... you can always cut it down.

the main reason for this work is to design my subframe. i needed to get angles and such before i cut and welded anything. so here is my precise measuring. this is going to be a one-up bike only.

i am filling up my argon bottle today, and should have the subframe build over the weekend.

I also wanted to say, this phase of the thread has been less instructional and more informative than my normal threads. I just dont feel comfortable saying "do this to get it right" as i am doing alot of this for the first time. once we get into areas i am a little more practiced at i will do my best to make it more of a tutorial.

thanks for looking!
~Chris

CBR 600 F2

"Inistigator" discussion
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
Knifemaker87
builder in training

CF Addict

Well i have been sick for the last couple days, but i tried not to let that stop me too much. I had everything ready for building the subframe, so i got a box of tissues and went at it.

First off, if you can do anything to make sure everything is square and true... it is worth it. fixuring and set-up consist of more than half of my job at work... and it really matters, so i made sure everything was square and lined up first then welded the upper supports to their bungs.

then put in a cross-brace

Bolted it up and welded in the lower tubes to the upper tubes and the lower bungs

then welded in the end section.

welded in some pupport tubes for the lower mounting point. most likely unnccesary, but more esthetically pleasing.

I wont be able to fully weld the supports till i take the bike apart again, but that will be happening soon.

and now you can see how it will fit in the body-work. the licesne plate, tail-light and signals will be mounting to the back end of the subframe and tail.

I snagged a big piece of foam a couple years ago and never had a project worth of it till now, so i have that cut up and will be making the body-work plugs out of that. pictures soon.
thanks for looking!
~Chris

CBR 600 F2

"Inistigator" discussion

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2013 Streetfighter Buildoff > 2013 Buildoff Entry Threads