Racing Geek's 91 GSXR conglomeration - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2013 Streetfighter Buildoff > 2013 Buildoff Entry Threads

2013 Buildoff Entry Threads All 2013 Buildoff Entry Threads Must Be Posted In Here

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Racing Geek's 91 GSXR conglomeration

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-03-2012, 02:35 AM   #1
Racing Geek
lb/hp is what it's about!
Racing Geek's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:12 AM
Flip Offs: 168
Flipped Off 83 Times in 73 Posts
Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Scavenger Hunt 
Default Racing Geek's 91 GSXR conglomeration

Now that I have your attention... DISCUSSION GOES HERE ---> http://www.customfighters.com/forums...22#post1186222

I don't read the newspaper so the cell phone will have to do.

I've posted a picture of the bike like this several weeks ago and nothing has changed since then. Here are some close up pics showing that while it looks like it's already together, there is a long way to go.

The wheel is held on by a big washer and it doesn't even seat right against the swingarm...

Oh, and the swingarm pivot bolt isn't the right size so the swingarm flops around too...

The rear shock is just sitting there looking purty....

The engine refuses to go on a diet to fit between the stock frame motor mounts so I'll be cutting off the excess fat....

The forks are barely held onto the bike...

The front wheel is sitting loose on the axle...

Last edited by Racing Geek; 08-03-2017 at 12:58 AM.
Racing Geek is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-03-2012, 02:40 AM   #2
Racing Geek
Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Scavenger Hunt 
Default Re: Racing Geek's 91 GSXR conglomeration

I got those Ducati 748 wheels because they were cheap. Well, now that I've been looking at them for a while I've decided I don't like them. To spur discussion I'll pose this question...

848 wheels...

or 996 wheels...

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-08-2012, 03:32 AM   #3
Racing Geek
Scavenger Hunt 

I had been thinking about this wheel decision since before the build off started and I've been looking into costs and fitments of each set. I missed my opportunity for cheap 848's so rather then spending ~$700 on a pair of wheels I went with the 996 wheels. At this point I'll just be keeping the 748 wheels around for track day tires but sell them if I need funds to finish this build.

I had a pleasant surprise when I got home from work tonight. Only two days to ship! I set the rotor in there to get an idea of fitment with the new wheels.

I've still got parts being shipped in and a lot of parts I still need to order. I'm currently on the hunt for....
-- 929/954/rc51 triples or some big ass blocks of aluminum
-- 20mm swingarm pivot bolt for a 91 gsxr750
If you have any of those and would like to sell please contact me.

Does anyone know of a place to get some parts anodized to match the color of some already anodized parts?

Last edited by Racing Geek; 08-03-2017 at 12:59 AM.
These people High Fived Racing Geek!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Racing Geek
Scavenger Hunt 

I want the wheels to really pop so the red is growing on me but I'm thinking getting the wheels anodized gold to match the forks would look really good. Here's my best attempt at making them more gold then orange or yellow.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-10-2012, 02:03 AM   #5
Racing Geek
Scavenger Hunt 

I didn't have much to time to do any actual work earlier today so I was playing around with the new tail a little. Hate to say it's perfect, but it kinda is.

I was messing with the suspension linkage on the computer at work today and I'm still not happy with what I'm coming up with. I've got two setups that will work ok but nothing that really makes me happy. Fitting a good linkage to this Hawk sssa is proving more difficult then I thought. Maybe I'll get a VFR sssa after all. Or I could just make it linear instead of progressive to keep it more track oriented since I plan on doing track days with it. That would make it a little easier. I dunno....

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
Racing Geek
Scavenger Hunt 

I'm still up and it's almost 6am but I think I've figured out a linkage that makes me happy. Gonna have to make some wooden links tomorrow... err, today... after I get some sleep. Hopefully it makes as much sense to me later as it does right now.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-11-2012, 01:42 AM   #7
Racing Geek
Scavenger Hunt 

I used what I did last night to get started on the mockup of the new linkage today. Still not quite what I was hoping for but I'll make it work. At least I think it's the best looking setup I've come up with so far so it's got that going for it. This version also makes it really easy to make all kinds of changes in minutes or even seconds if it's just turning a knob for something like a preload change. The wood is just for trial fitting and the final setup will make the rear suspension 6-way adjustable.

A nice feature is that nothing will sit ahead of the frame so there will be plenty of room for the carbs, filters, and other turbo goodies later. That stock subframe will also be getting cut off so that rear shock will be totally exposed. Should look pretty cool.... I hope.

The shock is offset to the left a little because the mount on the swingarm is offset. Gives more room to route the exhaust for a undertail if I go that route.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-12-2012, 01:38 AM   #8
Racing Geek
Scavenger Hunt 

I ended up spending 12 hours at work today so I didn't get much done with the bike. The previous owner of the frame broke off the head of one of the four bolts holding the stock upper shock mount on and stripped the allen head of one of the other bolts so I spent a little time trying to get those out with no luck.

I spent some time talking to a coworker today and I might get his Zuma with a blown engine. If I can make that happen I might ditch this thread and pull the gs750 engine to use in the Zuma and make the scooter build my build-off entry. If that happens I'll postpone this build until I find a oil cooled gsxr1100 or bandit 1200 engine and go ahead with the turbo version right away. Those are some big if's though.

In other news, I'm working on getting a TIG welder in the garage. Looking at the Dynasty 200dx but I don't know if that's going to be big enough.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-16-2012, 02:50 AM   #9
Racing Geek
Scavenger Hunt 

Had some packages arrive while I was at work today. In one package I got some 07/08 R1 calipers in the stock black color so now I can sell the 07/08 R1 gold calipers. In the other package were my new triples.

It really pisses me off when people pack shit with stuff like this! Especially after I already vacuumed the house this morning! Guess I'll be vacuuming again...

At least it arrived in good shape. It does a great job for cushioning the item but people need to put it in plastic bags and then tie the bag shut before putting it in the box. Then you don't get the huge mess when you take the item out.

The 07/08 R1 triples have a 210mm spacing, and a 25mm offset. These new triples have a 214mm spacing and a 35mm offset. Now I won't have to make some billet triples to get the geometry I want and the 214mm spacing will make it easier to make the rotors fit the wheel and line up with the calipers.

The bike is going to reach roller status in the next day or two so it can be moved to its new winter home. Stay tuned!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
Racing Geek
Scavenger Hunt 

I got the new triples on the bike with the forks and the matching front wheel just to get it closer to a roller. First time it has seen daylight in weeks!

I'm going a little to the extreme side with the front end geometry. In these pictures it's at 23.5* of rake and 92mm of trail. The other thing on the extreme side is the seat height. It's at 37" but once the stock subframe is cut away it will only be around 34". If you're under 6' tall there is no way you could flat foot the bike without some platform shoes.

I'm going to try getting the motor bolted in tomorrow so I don't have to carry that back to the shed separately. Unless I can get those stuck bolts out of the frame I'll probably just notch a 2x4 and use that as the "shock" so i can push the bike to the shed.

Last edited by Racing Geek; 08-03-2017 at 01:00 AM.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2013 Streetfighter Buildoff > 2013 Buildoff Entry Threads