Ahks' "Not a Speed Triple" - Page 10 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Ahks' "Not a Speed Triple"

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #91
BurtonF166
Macaque
CF Lover
BurtonF166's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:18 PM
Flip Offs: 16
Flipped Off 5 Times in 5 Posts
BurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to all
Default Re: Ahks' "Not a Speed Triple"

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
Do yourself a favour and put at least a bit of old inner tube to protect the chrome.
Thats a good idea.

I'd also consider using thinner material. It looks like its about .125 thick. I made this same style clamp to hold a fat glass lens gs light on the fzr and used .060 sheet and it didnt move at all.
BurtonF166 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #92
Ahks
Feckin Eejit!

Ahks's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:18 AM
Flip Offs: 28
Flipped Off 24 Times in 22 Posts
Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
Do yourself a favour and put at least a bit of old inner tube to protect the chrome.
I'm not doing the bending on the forks but am planning on using a bit of inner tube as a bushing for final mounting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonF166 View Post
Thats a good idea.

I'd also consider using thinner material. It looks like its about .125 thick. I made this same style clamp to hold a fat glass lens gs light on the fzr and used .060 sheet and it didnt move at all.
It is 1/8" thick... Can aluminum half that thickness bend like that? I thought the thinner stuff cracks too easy.
Also. I'll be mounting a bikini fairing and turn signals and clocks somewhere up there. Not sure yet how but was considering building a "frame" that mounts to the headlight brackets.

Think thin aluminum could handle the buffeting of a bikini fairing and the weight of a gauge pod bouncing around? I should probably mount the clocks to the triple really.
Ahks is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #93
BurtonF166
Macaque
CF Lover
BurtonF166's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 16
Flipped Off 5 Times in 5 Posts
BurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahks View Post
I'm not doing the bending on the forks but am planning on using a bit of inner tube as a bushing for final mounting.

It is 1/8" thick... Can aluminum half that thickness bend like that? I thought the thinner stuff cracks too easy.
Also. I'll be mounting a bikini fairing and turn signals and clocks somewhere up there. Not sure yet how but was considering building a "frame" that mounts to the headlight brackets.

Think thin aluminum could handle the buffeting of a bikini fairing and the weight of a gauge pod bouncing around? I should probably mount the clocks to the triple really.
When i used the .060 sheet, I used Ni 625.

Im not sure how strain-rate dependent aluminum is, but i imagine if you used .060, and go slow, it'll bend fine. Just yesterday I brake formed .100 thk alu 90 degrees with .125 bend radius without problems, slight orange peel but no visible cracking.
BurtonF166 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived BurtonF166!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #94
Ahks
Feckin Eejit!

Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

I've got a thing for stainless. Mebbe I'll look at that for the final build of the hardware...
Thanks for the info

Had a chance to sit in the basement with a file and a dremel on hand tonight.

Grinding down the seams in the swinger to give it a nicer finish.

Then celebrated the new year a bit
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #95
Ahks
Feckin Eejit!

Since I jump all over the place on a big project like this...

then started sanding it... got this far

Realized I should probably save the prep on those bits till I have access to my m8's DA :p

One of the problems I've read about on these early 955's is these silly fan shrouds catch debris and impede the fan. Not only that but the fan is plastic and only a few inches from the headers. That results in this..

Which could be a whole lot worse, I've seen pics of fan hubs with no blades on em :/

So off comes the fan, motor and shroud.

And oh, whats this? No more melty?

So I chopped the bottom of the shroud so rocks and shit won't get caught in the fan and stop it from spinning, then hit it was some plastidip cause I was bored.

I may sand blast the shroud when I do the rest of the bodywork and either body match it or put it back to black.

Then I saw some shit about clear coating over plastidip... so I started some tests. Had a shit super cheap CF tank protector, yellowing pretty bad and delaminating... Soo I hit it with like 5 coats of plastidip and doubled it's weight lol. Then cleared it with krylon fusion clear. I think my phones camera focused on the dust in the air...

Then I wet sanded it a bit with some 1500, amazing how much that triumph logo popped out.

Washed it, let it dry, then another couple layers of krylon fusion

Did some surface prep on the swing arm and then I hung the swinger up and emptied the can of plastidip onto it...

after several hours of it curing with the furnace blasting it on and off I hit it with the krylon fusion. Don't have pics of it at this stage but more show later I'm sure.

Found out someone had mounted the fuel filter backwards at some point as well...

Fixed that :p

Gotta hit the store before it closes... another update later
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #96
rubbersdown
sickboy
CF Pimp
rubbersdown's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 37
Flipped Off 45 Times in 29 Posts
rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Looking good man, one thing though...The backwards filter is not a huge deal, UNLESS YOU JUST FLIPPED IT AROUND. It will function just fine facing backwards but it will clog up faster as the fuel is now flowing threw the smaller cone section of the filter so the dirt particles get trapped in the tip of the cone slowing the direct fuel flow faster than normal. You either need to A. Leave it flipped backwards and just run it that way or B. buy a new filter and install it the right way.
If you just flip the old filter you are essentially back washing all the shit the filter has collected over the years straight into your fuel system and you will damn near instantly impede your injector flow.

P.s. I see your from hockey town, I was raised in the D and am a hard core redwings fan myself although I now live in AZ. First Detroit game is the 15th here in Az and im gunna be there WOOT WOOT!!!

"Sex addicts are just guys who are telling the truth." - Rodney Ruxin
rubbersdown is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #97
Ahks
Feckin Eejit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbersdown View Post
Looking good man, one thing though...The backwards filter is not a huge deal, UNLESS YOU JUST FLIPPED IT AROUND. It will function just fine facing backwards but it will clog up faster as the fuel is now flowing threw the smaller cone section of the filter so the dirt particles get trapped in the tip of the cone slowing the direct fuel flow faster than normal. You either need to A. Leave it flipped backwards and just run it that way or B. buy a new filter and install it the right way.
If you just flip the old filter you are essentially back washing all the shit the filter has collected over the years straight into your fuel system and you will damn near instantly impede your injector flow.
Good point.
A little research shows there's a ton of compatible filters.
O'Reilly's has one for $3.50. No good reason to not change it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbersdown View Post
P.s. I see your from hockey town, I was raised in the D and am a hard core redwings fan myself although I now live in AZ. First Detroit game is the 15th here in Az and im gunna be there WOOT WOOT!!!

Can't wait for the games to be back on the radio. Kenny Kal is awesome :p I've missed the games, and theres shit for hockey on tv around here when the Wings aren't playing.

How about some more work did?

Factory installed plastic fuel fittings on the tank. Known to be brittle after this long...
Replaced em with some metal :p

New orings on the male fittings as well \o/

Napa# BK 7272011; Buna-N-Nitrile; 5/16" I.D. x 7/16" O.D. x 1/16" W... guy charged me $2.50 for 4 of them. OE are $1.50 each and an hour drive away.

Started prepping the frame for a new, darker color...

Realized that was gonna take like a billion years... so got me a stripp, erm a CAN of stripper.

Got a pic of the swinger in it's current form.

Thats several coats of plastidip cured for 24hours then several coats of krylon fusion with a touch of wet sanding. I think... I'm gonna do this for the subframe, swinger and frame. Seems to create a decent and resilient finish.

Another shot of that tank protector :p

Shouldn't look too bad with a bit of a shine all around...
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #98
piester
Bitches love Fighters

piester's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 19 Times in 15 Posts
piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

i kinda liked the sanded down shot where the umph logo popped through

if at least one motorcycle wasnt irreparably harmed in the creation of the bike, its not a streetfighter!

build threads
1998 GSXR 7/10 SRAD clicky
08 fireblade
clicky
who wants to be my friend? facebook
piester is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-07-2013, 01:32 AM   #99
Ahks
Feckin Eejit!

That may be a good contrast to the shine the plastics will have...

I'll check out how I like that when it starts going back together. Wet sand a bunch of bits and not polish them to give a mottled satin look to contrast the high gloss plastics? That may look good AND hide the fact that it's really cheap stuff :p
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-13-2013, 02:21 AM   #100
Ahks
Feckin Eejit!

Half assed the cleaning of the frame, threw some primer on it then plastidip....
Ran out of dip. Need another can before I can finish coating it. Then lots of clear and hope it lasts the season...

It's gonna look like shit Especially next to the shined up plastics. But it'll have to do till next fall when I can budget some money to get all the bit's PC'd

I foresee some stress with some of the electrics plans I have and I really wanna get it back together so I can start working on them...
And the exhaust...

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes