Ahks' "Not a Speed Triple" - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Ahks' "Not a Speed Triple"

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:10 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Ahks' "Not a Speed Triple"

The standard uses an undersized master at 14mm instead of 5/8". It gets squishy and needs rebleeding fairly often, the lever travel is too long, and the bite is somewhat too ferocious compared to what you need. This is all compared to the standard "sportsbike feel" which has emerged over the years. Swapping to 5/8" will fix it in one step. ZXR750, 1000SRAD or anything sporty with 6-pots will do it, as will 600 or 750K2 or similar era, also 900RRW-X. If you like a built-in reservoir more than piss-pot type, Hyabusa will be perfect. Best bet is to go to a local wrecker's and rummage through their box of spares, which they will almost certainly have.

The rear brake is oversized, 14mm instead of 1/2". It makes the pedal rock-hard, underpowered and "wooden". So you have to really step on the brake, at which point it works as an on/off switch. Swap to the master from a ZXR750 amongst others, and it will work much much nicer. I used ZXR400L, as this was a direct fir with even the same threads cut, but again going through a box of spares will be probably the best way.

The rear arm just looks nicer to be honest! It is a nicer looking casting, seen here:

The main reason though is that the bearings in the linkages in these arms do dry out, do rust, do seize, and the parts alone are very expensive. Replace with a low miles replacement part from a newer bike and you're on a winner, and can still eBay off your arm and old wheel or put it on here for someone who wants a conversion rear end.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived a_morti!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #12
Ahks
Feckin Eejit!

Ahks's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:10 AM
Flip Offs: 28
Flipped Off 24 Times in 22 Posts
Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

You just answered another 3 questions I had about brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
but again going through a box of spares will be probably the best way.
I have yet to find a salvage yard that handles motorcycles within an hours drive of me... I should ask shotgun, he lives around here and would probably know.
Ahks is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
Ahks
Feckin Eejit!

Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

TuneECU works. Bike bitched that I didn't have half the sensors plugged in :shrug:

Rolled the wheel over to see what it looks like... not a great photo in tight quarters

Next step is check valve clearance
Why cant pushrod motors be all the rage

Now whered I put my feeler gauges...
These people High Fived Ahks!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #14
piester
Bitches love Fighters

piester's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 19 Times in 15 Posts
piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

i like that rear wheel on there.

if at least one motorcycle wasnt irreparably harmed in the creation of the bike, its not a streetfighter!

build threads
1998 GSXR 7/10 SRAD clicky
08 fireblade
clicky
who wants to be my friend? facebook
piester is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived piester!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #15
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 12:10 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

The new wheels are cool but they're 5.5" not 6" like the ugly 3 spoke so you'll be needing a 180 not 190.

TuneECU is awesome and amazingly powerful for free software.

The valves are a special Triumph tool job unless you want to remove the cams, or there's a replica usually available on eBay. They tighten up so ideally set at the loose end of tolerane.

Don't neglect the rear linkage while you're doing a service.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #16
piester
Bitches love Fighters

piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

A 190 will fit that wheel just fine. Most reputable brands are designed to work on either a 5.5 or 6 inch

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

if at least one motorcycle wasnt irreparably harmed in the creation of the bike, its not a streetfighter!

build threads
08 fireblade
clicky
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #17
Ahks
Feckin Eejit!

Quote:
The new wheels are cool but they're 5.5" not 6" like the ugly 3 spoke so you'll be needing a 180 not 190.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piester View Post
A 190 will fit that wheel just fine. Most reputable brands are designed to work on either a 5.5 or 6 inch
A bunch of folks over on triumphrat.net run a 190 on their 1050s
I'll get whatever I can get cheap as a matching set. I'm way over budget as it is.

Quote:
TuneECU is awesome and amazingly powerful for free software.

The valves are a special Triumph tool job unless you want to remove the cams, or there's a replica usually available on eBay. They tighten up so ideally set at the loose end of tolerane.

Don't neglect the rear linkage while you're doing a service.
The PO (2nd owner) told me he had the local dealer do a valve check, fingers crossed.
And also mentioned that the original owner "put new cams in it" which I interpret as "installed the newer exhaust cam", fingers crossed on that as well. My bike is about 1000 units too early in the production line to have the new cam :p I've got 60323 and the new cam started at about 61xxx or so.

And you are the 3rd person to mention that rear linkage :p The other guys have said it's usually cheaper to buy the linkage off a newer low mileage bike than to buy replacement bearings :/ lame
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #18
Ahks
Feckin Eejit!

Made a post about shit I've forgotten about, forgot to hit "submit"... browser closed...
Have this instead.

Turkey make me sleepy Gnight
These people High Fived Ahks!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #19
piester
Bitches love Fighters

Fighter of the Month 

honestly on the street you will be just fine with a 180 or 190. ha. looks killer

build threads
08 fireblade
clicky
This user High Fived piester!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #20
san
rainbow
Noobie
san's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:10 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
san is a NOOB

Hi liking your bike I have just sold mine,in some ways wish I had not ,but got two gsxr,s on the go at the moment I was getting 142 bhp out of mine great fun and handling a little over engineered for there time sound great real head turners enjoy and be safe have a look at mine.
san is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived san!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes