Ahks' "Not a Speed Triple" - Page 7 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Ahks' "Not a Speed Triple"

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #61
Ahks
Feckin Eejit!

Ahks's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:20 AM
Flip Offs: 28
Flipped Off 24 Times in 22 Posts
Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Ahks' "Not a Speed Triple"

Saturday/Sunday
Filled the 3rd hole I made...

Lost several pictures of the triples. Cleaned em up pretty good to prep them for paint and then...

Tore apart the rear running gear and suspension a bit and started cleaning it up and repacking the bearings as I'm WAY over budget at this point

Cleaned up

Repacked

Still dirty

Trailing? link all cleaned up... sorta. Bearings repacked.

Drop link. Dirty. Stuck.

Whats this?

Seriously? The only size bolt I don't have laying around. OReillys, HomeDepot, Lowes. None carry 14mm... Hardware store closed...

Today
Fucking bolt cost $4!
But it got the thing out with a few whacks with the framing hammer

Drop link was filthy under the bike but a quick blast of brake cleaner...

More scrubbing and brake cleaner...

Then let it dry out over night before I repack it. Don't want shit in there ruining mah work.

Picked up a bunch of goodies over the weekend too
Front and Rear M/C's per a_morti's provided info.
A steel shifter off a ttr225 that should fit my shaft... fingers crossed.
and...
THIS GUY

And some automotive electrical connectors... should have held off tho as I need a bunch more and now I get to pay for shipping twice
Ahks is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #62
BurtonF166
Macaque
CF Lover
BurtonF166's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:20 PM
Flip Offs: 16
Flipped Off 5 Times in 5 Posts
BurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to all

Nice work restoring those dirty/greased bits to new, looks good.
BurtonF166 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #63
Ahks
Feckin Eejit!

Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Thanks
I just hope the repacked bearings last me a season. Theres a few rough spots in them and the pins show some sign of binding and general "bad"

Like this guy

I tried to clean them up with some scotchbrite but they aren't in great condition still.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #64
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 06:20 AM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

I'd say you've had a real result with those bearings. They've had maintenance or replacement at least once in the bikes life and I reckon you got in just in time to keep them good. Well done you!!

Good progress, keep it up

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived a_morti!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #65
Ahks
Feckin Eejit!

DeeDubbed \o/

The ttr225 shifter fits \o/ and is steel so can be bent and be modified easily...

Any tips or warnings on putting this thing to heat to bend around to where I need it?
I'll need to get a pretty sharb bend immediatly after the weld which will make it need the bend back to be a bit sharper as well.
I seem to recall hearing that heat cycles on steel makes it brittle. Is that a risk here?

Then...
Work.

Set it down on the dolly, removed forks, radiator, engine mount bolts...

Lifted it off...

Sweating at this point as I'm working near the furnaces in the basement :p

Discovered the bolt on the front sprocket was loose... I bumped it with a gloved hand and it spun. Lucky I pulled the bike apart probably.

Found some other inspiration. Since I started this thread as more of a visual output for my thoughts during it I may as well spam it with some of that. Design ideas have been rather mercurial so don't think any of this is set in stone till I buy the paint
Really dig this color. I think I stared at these pics for about 5 solid minutes when I saw them.

Like the way this pipe is angled, how it exits, still lets the wheel be completly open...

Probably time I collect myself and redo my todo list...

Still need
Axles spacers:
Right side - 25.05 mm ID x 35mm OD x 28mm long (waiting to hear back from a machinest)
Left Side - 1mm longer than stock left side spacer (I think I'm just gonna find a stainless washer or 2 that has the right OD and drill out the ID)
Rare earth magnets (speed sensor)
Maybe throttle/clutch/brake lines (won't know till I reassemble)
sync TB's
check valve clearances
direct shift shifter (bend it up)
new mid pipe...
automotive electrical connectors for rewiring (some of which will have to wait till the engine is back on the frame since I'm trying to reroute a bunch of shit...)
3x pod filters
clean this dirty fucker
Paint...

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #66
speedtriple1050
striple addicted
Fighter
speedtriple1050's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:20 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 3 Times in 2 Posts
speedtriple1050 is a NOOB

how would you mount the pod filters without airbox?
cause i think the efi won't work without the airbox ok
speedtriple1050 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-20-2012, 12:36 AM   #67
Ahks
Feckin Eejit!

http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=62172
POD filters would just let more air in. The ECU will give more fuel... to a point. But Triumphs can be be tuned with free software and a $40 cable... I'm sure I'll have to get it to a dyno or do some wideband datalogging to get it running "good" but it should be good enough till I can afford it.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #68
Ahks
Feckin Eejit!

I don't trust the POs of my bike.
Rear sprocket is dust, chain is iffy.
Front looks newish but the nut was loose... as in, I could move it by hand before I touched a wrench to it.

Think I want to do a 520 conversion with these.
http://sprocketcenter.com/index.php/...t-triumph.html
http://sprocketcenter.com/index.php/...t-triumph.html
And then for a chain...
The 520 DID VX2 says it's good for up to 750cc... my bike weighs more than a modern 750 by a fair bit and has like 20+ ft lbs on it off idle. Maybe not a good idea?
The 520 ERV3 is a fair bit more coin :p

Anyone have any experience with these and the reliability of a 520 conversion on a torquey bike?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #69
speedtriple1050
striple addicted
Fighter
speedtriple1050's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:20 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 3 Times in 2 Posts
speedtriple1050 is a NOOB

it won't last the 520 chain to much
speedtriple1050 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #70
Ahks
Feckin Eejit!

You do realize 520 chains are used in WSBK ? where they've got 150+ hp litre bikes going balls out and abusing the shit out of their hardware more than anyone on the street does?

A 520 chain is just fine. Just a matter of getting the right one and proper maintenance. ANd the right sprockets... Aluminum doesn't last as long but I'm looking at hardened steel. So...

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes