Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

TheFall's CBR1000RR "Working Name"

962 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  TheFall 
#1 ·
I have not decided on a name yet but I figured it was worth starting a build threat.

I started with a 2005 CBR1000RR that I bought after I totaled my V65 Magna hitting a deer.
The bike was very clean when I bought it, as shown below.

I wont bother with all the other angles as everyone is familiar enough with what these bikes are about
I installed a PCIII and the bike came with full exhaust, flapper delete, plate relocator and a few other assorted visual goodies.

Starting the build:

The above pictures show the bike with the catch tank removed but otherwise, i have not removed anything. I post these because I had a terrible time trying to find these pictures when I started planning.

I deleted everything that was associated with the vacuum system that runs the intake flapper (picture 2)
I then deleted the PAIR module and its tubes from infront of the intake (PITA if I am honest but much quicker to take apart the second time after realizing I forgot to plug something back in)
I placed the ECM and all wiring, where the PAIR module used to be, this involved only cutting and extending the fan plug wires and slightly modifying the wiring harness protection layer. To do this, pull the harness back and feed it along the inside of the frame. I think this is something that track guys used to do to save the ECM if they laid the bike down racing but I could find no info or pictures about how to do it. Note, I was not able to get the Airbox down with the fuse box located to the right of the ECM as shown in the picture. I think removing the rubber cover and tucking it further down would have got the job done but I didnt want to bury it before checking the bike would run and everything worked, Do not want to have to dig everything out because a headlight fuse was popped or something.
The picture below shows how I did this.

Currently the bike starts and runs. Now I have to get the fairings back on for the tank, and install/wire the headlight. Once the headlight is on, I will relocate the instrument panel from where it is temporarily located bolted into the 2 existing holes in the front of the Top Tree

I will post more updates and pictures as I do work

See less See more
#3 ·
IDK how it is on this model, but on the carby blades, that area where you've stuffed the wires is used as part of the air intake and if you stuff it full of cables you can end up choking the intake.

Anyways, I'm in. Blade fighters are always good whether older or newer.

#4 ·
On the early 1000rr fuel injected motors (can not say if 2006+ is the same, they switched airbox to have the ecm on top in 2006) the space that I have put all the wiring and the ECM is on top of the ram air. Previously the PAIR valves and tubing were located there. There is a separate airbox with the injectors that inject into speed tubs inside the box that bolts ontop of the two holes shown and the 4 throttle bodies (not shown). I have never seen anyone, or any pictures of people putting everything there, but I know (I am positive I am not the first, the bike is 15 years old) people put it there in the track world. It is tight but It fits in there, if you leave all the rubber coating on everything it is nicely packed in there to minimize vibrations.

Conveniently, the front plastic of the ram air is all setup on the top edge to keep water out of that space, but there is a catch to that. There is a concern that there is very little airflow in that space, so I am not sure how hot the ECM gets but I can get a finger in to feel when I get the headlight on and go for a ride.

At any rate the bike currently runs (as long as the tip sensor is set upright) as it should with no warning lights since deleting all the extra stuff.

Thanks for following! :rock: This will start as a simple build and get more custom as I have time.

Headlight will be installed next and then the cluster will be moved into a better position and I am going to make a small fairing to put everything behind.

#5 ·
I didn't make too much progress over the weekend, my headlight mounts did not line up how I envisioned so I need to do a but of work to get them to work. I did get the catch can and all the body work on though. I have to solder a tube into the bottom of the brass fitting I threaded into the lid for the catch can and then it can be used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.