Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Share your ignition relocation

24K views 58 replies 29 participants last post by  cdaburnerb 
#1 ·
I hope this isn't a repeat thread, but I thought I'd share where I relocated my ignition. As you all know the ignition gets in the way of the cables and gauge cluster, so moving it is almost mandatory for a clean setup. So post up where you put your ignition so future fighterers can find this thread and get some ideas.

My spot isn't original since it was suffered to me by a couple other guys, but I wanted to share how simple it was to do. I used a small piece of flat aluminum, drilled some holes, and mounted it to the bolts on my front sprocket cover. Easy.

Oh this is on my 2006 Kawi ZZR600/ZX6R hybrid fighter.

Attachments

See less See more
#16 ·
I saw why change it when you already have a stock one that works perfectly fine. Ignitions aren't meant to be super light. And mine is probably about 5" so yours really isn't to big. Mines stock, you just gotta look around your bike and find a place that you's like to have it and go for it! Be creative in your mounting and where it goes, we've all done it and I'm sure you can too :D

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#22 ·
i tried to dismantle mine (03 Suzi Bandit) this weekend in an attempt to shorten it. NO GO. Mine is built in a way that makes it sort of tamper proof....for theft deterrence I'm sure. i have 6 wires coming out of my unit. I'm thinking of replacing my stock ignition with a 6-wire ebay find. It's not that I can't make the stock ignition work somewhere on my bike, its just fricken huge so i'm limited.

#20 ·
Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive exterior Bumper

It was pretty simple, I was able to use a couple of holes inside the frame that were already tapped for I think an m8 bolt and was able to rotate the ignition till the holes lined up. It's upside down but it doesn't bother me. I'm gonna have to paint it black as well to kinda blend it in with the area.

Piester, yours is pretty freaking slick, good job.

Stupid iPhone app

#25 ·
@all...quick question. After giving it much thought, my stock ignition is just too big. I want to use a cheap scooter ignition i found on ebay. Do the CC's of a bike have any bearing on whether the ignition will function correctly? Most of the smaller ignitions online are meant for 50-150cc scooters.

#26 ·
no. any 12v ignition should work. though you may need to change the way its wired. some ignition switches had a resistor in them for a sort of anti theft system.

#35 ·
It clears the tank by about 1/4" or so. I wanted to put it in the small triangle opening toward the front of the frame but tank interference was definitely an issue so the current spot was the alternative.

Later, Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.