Fabricated my own slab yokes - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Anything to do with welding, bending and fabricating things from metal goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Fabricated my own slab yokes

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
jtarkany
Fighter In Training
jtarkany's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:51 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
jtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to all
Default Fabricated my own slab yokes

Pics seem to have disappeared. You can find them in my album here: http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1427

DISCLAIMER: I am not now, nor ever have been a machinist, just a guy with more time than money. So those of you that are machinists, go easy on the comments.

As usual I am unable to wait till the project is completed to post up, so hopefully I will finish it soon. I always feel like I have bitten off just a little more than I can chew

I decided to make up a slab yoke for the R1 forks that I mounted on my FZ6, just to beef up the whole front end. The tools I used are: Drill Press, Chop Saw, Belt Sander, Cross-Slide Vise, C-Clamps, HSS Whole Saw bits, 10" Aluminum Cutting Carbide Blade (for chopsaw), rotary spindle sander, tap & Die, various drill bits.

Materials: 11.5" X 1.5" X 4" (top) and 11.5" X 2.25" X 4" (bottom) T6 6061 Aluminum, cutting wax

Here is the original pattern laid out on the aluminum (I ditched this pattern for one that allowed me to put my clamp bolts on the back side).

This is the new pattern, keep in mind this triple clamp is designed for an FZ6 Stem with 2001 R1 Forks:

Drilling and cleaning the holes.

Cutting the shape.

'You can drill with a mill, but you can't mill with a drill,' so next best thing, lots and lots of holes

Ok, ok, I confess , I did mill a little bit with my drill, but in my defense, I did use a mill chuck and I did bolt the chuck into the arbor. Just wanted to clean up the face a bit.

Finished the riser for my triple

If someone tells you, You can't do something and you believe them, then YOU Can't.
jtarkany is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
DecepticonDon
Elbow Grease is Cheap

DecepticonDon's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:51 AM
Flip Offs: 301
Flipped Off 143 Times in 38 Posts
DecepticonDon is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!DecepticonDon is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!DecepticonDon is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!DecepticonDon is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!DecepticonDon is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!DecepticonDon is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!DecepticonDon is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!DecepticonDon is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!DecepticonDon is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!DecepticonDon is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!DecepticonDon is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Fabricated my own slab yokes

dammit man. and i thought the homemade exhausts were awesome. you've surpassed yourself good sir. +rep

Pics when you get 'em mounted

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsroadeater View Post
dont want no skanky slagbag hangin offa yer short arm mate

Project: Daytona 675

Operation: Kwak Attack

1991 Tidecraft B.O.A.T. build
DecepticonDon is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived DecepticonDon!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
leo_black_label
clean fight
CF Addict
leo_black_label's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:51 AM
Flip Offs: 2
Flipped Off 9 Times in 7 Posts
leo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to behold

JEEEPERS!
good jod jtarkany!
ive been fantasizing about if this would work and youve gone and actually done it!
REP also for the fine pictures and clear explanation.
leo_black_label is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived leo_black_label!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
CK 187
CAPTAIN AWESOMEŽ

CK 187's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 631
Flipped Off 470 Times in 171 Posts
CK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

goddamn son!
CK 187 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived CK 187!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
ultimate fighter
Remi's Dad
ultimate fighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 1,427
Flipped Off 875 Times in 399 Posts
ultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympus
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

badassery my friend

UF's 2017 winter buildoff MOE POWA
talk about my junk
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
CB is cool as fuck , proper old skool kick your cunt in for looking at it funny
ultimate fighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived ultimate fighter!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
badfish816
Bazinga!
CF Pimp
badfish816's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 347
Flipped Off 301 Times in 61 Posts
badfish816 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!badfish816 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!badfish816 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!badfish816 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!badfish816 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!badfish816 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!badfish816 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!badfish816 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!badfish816 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!badfish816 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!badfish816 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

badass work there buddy. amazing. cant wait for more pics!

Damm it all yer tha finest blokes fer sure!Im stickin with you lads through thick and thin, war and peace, good and bad!United we stand as strong a bunchof outcast hooligans as ever stomped this fookin planet! -Robs R. Eater
badfish816 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived badfish816!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
leo_black_label
clean fight
CF Addict
leo_black_label's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 2
Flipped Off 9 Times in 7 Posts
leo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to behold

i must admit, i dont quite get how you went about cutting the body shape using that chopsaw! there was no mention of a bandsaw or anything, so im stumped. do you have any more pictures from the cutting step? im really psyched to see this piece work! how does the steering stem fit in? if you used the stock stem it would be too short below the bearing race for the beefy block right? sorry if this is too many questions.im just really intrigued.
leo_black_label is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
The Green Lantern
ADAM FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
The Green Lantern's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 116 Times in 99 Posts
The Green Lantern has a brilliant futureThe Green Lantern has a brilliant futureThe Green Lantern has a brilliant futureThe Green Lantern has a brilliant futureThe Green Lantern has a brilliant futureThe Green Lantern has a brilliant futureThe Green Lantern has a brilliant futureThe Green Lantern has a brilliant futureThe Green Lantern has a brilliant futureThe Green Lantern has a brilliant futureThe Green Lantern has a brilliant future

thats awesome brosef! im extremely impressed
your gunna give flint a run for his money hahaha
The Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived The Green Lantern!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
Nailhead
GURU
Nailhead's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 131
Flipped Off 466 Times in 290 Posts
Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

when i first read your disclaimer i was like "oh shit.."

but you did that WITH OUT!? a machine?

jesus christ on a rubber crutch that's amazing work.

its a simple concept really,
build bike from what you have and can afford
ride bike with your friends as much as you can
and love every minute of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiden View Post
I go home and make myself a sandwich.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXQkBZ1NOM8
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Nailhead!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #10
Scrapyard
Build It Ride It Live It
Scrapyard's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 6
Flipped Off 20 Times in 14 Posts
Scrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud of
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Fighter of the Month 

Seriously nice job bud. Time and patience is all it tkes some time. Good inspiration to put my drill press to work and get a set done myself.

I'm assuming you put (or are planning to put) a step in the bottom clamp to fit the stem so it comes out to the right length.

Over all, killer work. Really dig the recessed pinch bolts too.
Scrapyard is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Scrapyard!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal