Fabricated my own slab yokes - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Anything to do with welding, bending and fabricating things from metal goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Fabricated my own slab yokes

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #11
jtarkany
Fighter In Training
jtarkany's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:51 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
jtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to all
Default Re: Fabricated my own slab yokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_black_label View Post
i must admit, i dont quite get how you went about cutting the body shape using that chopsaw! there was no mention of a bandsaw or anything, so im stumped. do you have any more pictures from the cutting step? im really psyched to see this piece work! how does the steering stem fit in? if you used the stock stem it would be too short below the bearing race for the beefy block right? sorry if this is too many questions.im just really intrigued.
No bandsaw was used. I used a 10" non-ferrous metal blade in the chopsaw and clamped the crap out of the part so it wouldn't move, I then proceeded to cut all necessary angles as laid out on the part and then walked small cuts around the circular parts to reduce the amount of belt sanding needed.

I used the original FZ6 steering stem. The steering stem was pressed into place, with a spacer between the stem and the bottom clamp to insure the bearing was seated well and the clamp didn't rub on the frame, I then drilled and tapped a hole through the back of the clamp and through the steering stem then inserted a bolt (I will show a picture after the camera is charged).

No the stem is not to short because the bearing sits above the bottom clamp. The stem fits nicely at the top as well I drilled the top hole the same size at the top of the steering stem then sanded for a smooth fit, I then counter sank the back og the hole so that the stem seats when tightend down.

Hope this answers the question.

If someone tells you, You can't do something and you believe them, then YOU Can't.
jtarkany is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived jtarkany!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-28-2011, 11:09 PM   #12
matthasthorns
arsing about
CF Addict
matthasthorns's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:51 AM
Flip Offs: 33
Flipped Off 33 Times in 19 Posts
matthasthorns is a name known to allmatthasthorns is a name known to allmatthasthorns is a name known to allmatthasthorns is a name known to allmatthasthorns is a name known to allmatthasthorns is a name known to allmatthasthorns is a name known to allmatthasthorns is a name known to allmatthasthorns is a name known to allmatthasthorns is a name known to allmatthasthorns is a name known to all
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

That is some impressive work with minimal tools!

Ninja 650r "what is it? some kinda Buell?"

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"I don’t put aesthetics over function. I spoke a little bit of what I expect a bike to do, and if the bike is doing what I want it to do the aesthetics are fine with me. But form function and aesthetics, you really have to determine what they mean to you." – Indian Larry
matthasthorns is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived matthasthorns!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-29-2011, 12:08 AM   #13
Scaary Don
Got Fight?

CF Addict
Scaary Don's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:51 AM
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 39 Times in 6 Posts
Scaary Don is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Scaary Don is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Scaary Don is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Scaary Don is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Scaary Don is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Scaary Don is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Scaary Don is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Scaary Don is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Scaary Don is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Scaary Don is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Scaary Don is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Nice fooking work bud. Thanks for posting.

** RIP **
** RIP - MM **

CFLF
Scaary Don is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Scaary Don!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #14
Christ
Winter's comin... :(
CF Pimp
Christ's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:51 AM
Flip Offs: 179
Flipped Off 94 Times in 61 Posts
Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Excellent. I've been wanting to do alot of this type of thing myself, but seriously lack the workspace and basic needs to do it.

A good many parts can be made from machine shop scraps and junkyard pickings for nothing but a few bucks and a bit of time, and the work you put in to something is what truly makes it yours, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBlacken via Facebook
"Aesop's Fables" teaches morality without eternal damnation and contradictions, or a petty, yet all-powerful creator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFighter View Post
Can't rush greatness. But you can crash it shortly after finishing it.

I'd like to think that people might open their eyes at some point... instead, I find it more and more likely that I'll just close mine.
-- Christopher Eugene Pettitt
Christ is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Christ!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-29-2011, 07:14 AM   #15
shift1313
GURU

shift1313's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 6 Times in 6 Posts
shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!

if i didn't see pictures i would have said "no way, can't be done". How long did it take you to bore through that with a hole saw? How accurate are they? Great job by the way. My only concern would be their accuracy both to each other and to the fork diameter. Ive used some heavy duty drill presses before and i wouldn't have attempted that on those
shift1313 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived shift1313!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #16
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:51 AM
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 57 Times in 47 Posts
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Nice work.

I'd like to know about your dimensions as well, and would also like to see some pics of your milling vice!

I probably would have used a boring bar to finish the big holes, instead of the sanding drum.

Find me on Facebook at Sebspeed Customs

Float like a Goldwing, sting like a gixxer

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
SEBSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived SEBSPEED!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #17
Kidd
perfectly imperfect

Senior Fighterer
Kidd's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 5 Times in 5 Posts
Kidd has a reputation beyond reputeKidd has a reputation beyond reputeKidd has a reputation beyond reputeKidd has a reputation beyond reputeKidd has a reputation beyond reputeKidd has a reputation beyond reputeKidd has a reputation beyond reputeKidd has a reputation beyond reputeKidd has a reputation beyond reputeKidd has a reputation beyond reputeKidd has a reputation beyond repute

For the idiots in the room...What is a boring bar?
Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Kidd!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #18
Christ
Winter's comin... :(
CF Pimp
Christ's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 179
Flipped Off 94 Times in 61 Posts
Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Where nobody knows your name, and they're never glad you came. That's a boring bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBlacken via Facebook
"Aesop's Fables" teaches morality without eternal damnation and contradictions, or a petty, yet all-powerful creator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFighter View Post
Can't rush greatness. But you can crash it shortly after finishing it.

I'd like to think that people might open their eyes at some point... instead, I find it more and more likely that I'll just close mine.
-- Christopher Eugene Pettitt
Christ is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
The Following 2 Users Say F-U to Christ For This Post:
Christ (08-29-2011), nemo (08-29-2011)
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #19
Wes4386
CF Addict
Wes4386's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 75 Times in 41 Posts
Wes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to all

I expected to see some bullshit but was pleasantly surprised.

Wes4386 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Wes4386!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-29-2011, 11:49 AM   #20
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:51 AM
Flipped Off 57 Times in 47 Posts
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd View Post
For the idiots in the room...What is a boring bar?
The setup I'm thinking of would consist of an offset cutter that could be chucked in a drill press.

Picture a "T". Upside down. With one horizontal leg longer than the other, and set to the radius of the hole size you want to cut(rough or finish). That longer leg has a cutter insert at the end. The shank of the "T" gets chucked in the vice and the tool cuts the ID to size as you plunge the cutter.

Find me on Facebook at Sebspeed Customs

Float like a Goldwing, sting like a gixxer

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
SEBSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived SEBSPEED!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal