Fabricated my own slab yokes - Page 4 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Anything to do with welding, bending and fabricating things from metal goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Fabricated my own slab yokes

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-29-2011, 10:46 PM   #31
jtarkany
Fighter In Training
jtarkany's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:55 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
jtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to all
Default Re: Fabricated my own slab yokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift1313 View Post
if i didn't see pictures i would have said "no way, can't be done". How long did it take you to bore through that with a hole saw? How accurate are they? Great job by the way. My only concern would be their accuracy both to each other and to the fork diameter. Ive used some heavy duty drill presses before and i wouldn't have attempted that on those
Everything is aligned perfectly, the fork legs in relation to each other, to the spindle and to the top and bottom clamp. The holes were drilled with a bi-metal hole saw each one 2mm undersize from the their respective holes. Each hole took approximately 30 minutes to drill using the cutting wax and blowing off the bit frequently. I didn't use a boring bar (aka flycutter) because the drill press does not provide the ridgidity that would be needed. After each hole was drilled I removed the remaining 1mm (to the line scribed on the metal) using the spindle sander with 50, 80 and 120 grit sandpaper,. the sanding took approximately 15 minutes per hole, so 45 minutes per hole total. An example of the accuracy of the hole diameters themselves is provided by the fact that when pressing the stem in, it went perfectly smooth, with no binding and required 300 ft/lbs to press into place.

With regard to the vise, it is a simple cross-slide vise from Harbor freight with 7" travel both ways. I secured it to the drill press table using t-bolts and nuts.

Hope this helps to answer all of the questions. Here is the pattern that I drew up and scribed onto the metal face, keep in mind this triple clamp is designed for an FZ6 Stem with 2001 R1 Forks:

If someone tells you, You can't do something and you believe them, then YOU Can't.
jtarkany is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #32
Ruff
Rable Rable Rable
Ruff's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:55 AM
Flip Offs: 97
Flipped Off 138 Times in 105 Posts
Ruff is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ruff is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ruff is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ruff is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ruff is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ruff is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ruff is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ruff is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ruff is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ruff is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ruff is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Man, you just went to the top of the "Handiest Dudes on the Site" list. This is fantastic!
Ruff is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-29-2011, 11:44 PM   #33
Poopie
GOOROO of da POO POO

CF Pimp
Poopie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 132
Flipped Off 91 Times in 61 Posts
Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

You're like the Bear Grylls of CF, minus the drinking piss part...

Mad props man, I think every "non-machinist" on this site has experienced the "DIY Yokes" delusion of grandeur. Thanks for knocking down that wall...

“When the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box”

EL RoY Build

EL RoY Discussion

Chickamauga Warhorse Build

Chickamauga Warhorse (discussion)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDogg007
If I fuck this up bear with me. I am on some serious pain meds for kidney stones and flying like a mofo here.
Poopie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Poopie!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-31-2011, 12:49 AM   #34
jtarkany
Fighter In Training
jtarkany's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
jtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to alljtarkany is a name known to all

Yokes are done, will mount them on the bike tomorrow. I will pick up the fork tubes on Thursday and hopefully finish rebuilding them the same day. Hoping to have the bike back together on Friday or Saturday.

If someone tells you, You can't do something and you believe them, then YOU Can't.
jtarkany is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-31-2011, 01:28 AM   #35
dogmeatk
QUESTIONABLE ENGINEERING
CF Addict
dogmeatk's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 19
Flipped Off 8 Times in 7 Posts
dogmeatk has a reputation beyond reputedogmeatk has a reputation beyond reputedogmeatk has a reputation beyond reputedogmeatk has a reputation beyond reputedogmeatk has a reputation beyond reputedogmeatk has a reputation beyond reputedogmeatk has a reputation beyond reputedogmeatk has a reputation beyond reputedogmeatk has a reputation beyond reputedogmeatk has a reputation beyond reputedogmeatk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow dude. Fantastic job!! I was also a non-believer until I saw your pics!! Very well finished work, I am seriously impressed with what you accomplished. REP

So the real quote you were going for is: "You can drill with a mill, but you can't mill with a drill, unless you plan on buying new bearings for your drill in the near future"
dogmeatk is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived dogmeatk!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-31-2011, 04:23 AM   #36
Nailhead
GURU
Nailhead's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 131
Flipped Off 466 Times in 290 Posts
Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

now when people say "whoa where did you get those man!"

you are going to have to go though the process of trying to tell them that you made them with in a vice with your fucking drill press haha

its a simple concept really,
build bike from what you have and can afford
ride bike with your friends as much as you can
and love every minute of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiden View Post
I go home and make myself a sandwich.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXQkBZ1NOM8
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Nailhead!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-31-2011, 06:33 AM   #37
TlRumbler
the duce that got away
Senior Fighterer
TlRumbler's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:55 AM
Flip Offs: 10
Flipped Off 5 Times in 4 Posts
TlRumbler is a glorious beacon of lightTlRumbler is a glorious beacon of lightTlRumbler is a glorious beacon of lightTlRumbler is a glorious beacon of lightTlRumbler is a glorious beacon of lightTlRumbler is a glorious beacon of lightTlRumbler is a glorious beacon of lightTlRumbler is a glorious beacon of light

38 posts, and youre already a glorious beacon of light....

i feel like such an un-reputable bitch
TlRumbler is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived TlRumbler!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-31-2011, 07:12 AM   #38
pineapple
Brhaap!
CF Pimp
pineapple's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:55 PM
Flip Offs: 207
Flipped Off 164 Times in 50 Posts
pineapple is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!pineapple is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!pineapple is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!pineapple is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!pineapple is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!pineapple is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!pineapple is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!pineapple is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!pineapple is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!pineapple is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!pineapple is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Don't worry. I repped you.
pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived pineapple!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-31-2011, 08:31 AM   #39
TlRumbler
the duce that got away
Senior Fighterer
TlRumbler's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:55 AM
Flip Offs: 10
Flipped Off 5 Times in 4 Posts
TlRumbler is a glorious beacon of lightTlRumbler is a glorious beacon of lightTlRumbler is a glorious beacon of lightTlRumbler is a glorious beacon of lightTlRumbler is a glorious beacon of lightTlRumbler is a glorious beacon of lightTlRumbler is a glorious beacon of lightTlRumbler is a glorious beacon of light

now youze my frandd
TlRumbler is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived TlRumbler!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-31-2011, 09:43 AM   #40
Christ
Winter's comin... :(
CF Pimp
Christ's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 179
Flipped Off 94 Times in 61 Posts
Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

I have to say, the only thing that gets me about these is the tooling (drill) marks. Even though you can't see them.

Other than that, these are excellent examples of what someone properly motivated can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBlacken via Facebook
"Aesop's Fables" teaches morality without eternal damnation and contradictions, or a petty, yet all-powerful creator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFighter View Post
Can't rush greatness. But you can crash it shortly after finishing it.

I'd like to think that people might open their eyes at some point... instead, I find it more and more likely that I'll just close mine.
-- Christopher Eugene Pettitt
Christ is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Christ!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal