I wanted to get the opinions of other artists - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion > Art Related Section

Art Related Section All art related discussion goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > I wanted to get the opinions of other artists

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
Domindart
Doin Kustom werk with bro
Fighter In Training
Domindart's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:53 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Domindart is a NOOB
Default I wanted to get the opinions of other artists

I'm doing a logo for bro's company he is starting and I am not sure about how to go about this. I am going to do it all by hand and scan it in, but I want the image to be as big as possible. How do I do this?

Also, I don't have a pen mouse so doing any meticulous work in computer won't work.. just coloring. Will the marker I use be dark enough after scanned in?

thnx, I gather there are a few good graphic artists here?

Pics attached show the rough sketch of what he wants... I have to do it over but cleaned up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chases 56k.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	42994  
Attached Images

BUILDING CHOPS, BOBS, REPAIRS, MAINTENANCE.....NO CANDY ASS BIKES
Domindart is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Domindart!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #2
sebwiers
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdxǝ

CF Pimp
sebwiers's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:53 PM
Flip Offs: 21
Flipped Off 36 Times in 19 Posts
sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: I wanted to get the opinions of other artists

Dunno about hand coloring w/ marker. I'd expect something like that to be done w/ airbrush. But I'm not the illustrator / graphics kind of artist.

I'd do something like that on the computer. Don't need a pen / tablet, because the way to do it is in a vector graphics program. Adobe Illustrator is just made for that kind of thing. Inkscape is free (totally free - not just free trial or pay for extras) and does pretty much the same thing, could certainly handle fairly simple graphics like that. I use it mostly to lay out designs I run on a laser cutter, so I'm not up on a lot of the features, but I know it can do fades, rays, and other color transition effects.

Great thing about vector graphics is they scale cleanly to ANY size (which adds a lot of value for your client if they plan on using it for something like a business logo) and the original files are usually pretty compact since all they do is describe the outlines and fills in mathematical language, not the color of every pixel.
sebwiers is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived sebwiers!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
Domindart
Fighter In Training
Domindart is a NOOB

Ya, airbrush would be cool but I think its going on as a vinyl sticker

So we want to do it in computer I think.. I 'll check out the adobe illustrator and Inkscape. thnx

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-04-2014, 12:24 AM   #4
Domindart
Fighter In Training
Domindart is a NOOB

I downloaded Inkscape.... don't know how to use it but will look for some tutorials LOL

Also going to ask my mom's photographer boyfriend about this when he is back in town..

I think the best thing to do is work on it by hand , get it pretty precise, then tweak it in computer

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-04-2014, 01:17 AM   #5
sebwiers
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdxǝ

CF Pimp
sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Inkscape has a bit of fumble factor at first, but once you catch on a few basics, its really easy to get on with. On thing I suggest is going to 'View' making sure you turn everything on in Show/Hide. You may not know what they do, but having to dive through menu's is just gonna slow yah down and prevent experimentation / lucky accidents.

I bodged this up in 15 minutes using the text tool, and giving the text a fill that had a linear gradient, and a plain black stroke. (I put it on top of an opaque grey rectangle because transparent backgrounds on a black website mean you can't see any black lines.)
Attached Images

These people High Fived sebwiers!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
taylorjr
Forearm of Steel

CF Pimp
taylorjr's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 67
Flipped Off 29 Times in 21 Posts
taylorjr spends too much time on heretaylorjr spends too much time on heretaylorjr spends too much time on heretaylorjr spends too much time on heretaylorjr spends too much time on heretaylorjr spends too much time on heretaylorjr spends too much time on heretaylorjr spends too much time on heretaylorjr spends too much time on heretaylorjr spends too much time on heretaylorjr spends too much time on here

if its for a black website, work a different stroke in... maybe fill the inner with black and stroke the outside with the gradient? you could have companion logos, one with black stroke, gradient fill, and one with gradient stroke and black fill.
taylorjr is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-06-2014, 10:37 PM   #7
sebwiers
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdxǝ

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

I don't think that's an issue for him. But yeah, for demo purposes I coulda used a grey stroke or some such.
This user High Fived sebwiers!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #8
Domindart
Fighter In Training
Domindart is a NOOB

This will go on business cards, t-shirts etc... website eventually also I guess.... but most importantly It will go on the side of my bike

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #9
Archimeech
Noobie
Archimeech's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Archimeech is a NOOB

If you can find an old copy of Adobe Illustrator it's made for exactly what you're wanting to accomplish. It's best to have all the color separation and the ease of having a vector rather than a raster file. Scanned images are based off each individual pixel and hard to blow up to a larger size with any decent resolution. Vector images are based on line, block, with an associated color to each individual item. No resolution is lost and it's easier to cut vinyl with.
Archimeech is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion > Art Related Section