Radiators - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps

Street Fighter Swaps From Fork Swaps to Swing Arm Swaps

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Radiators

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #1
Krukoda
NoObie
Noobie
Krukoda's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:42 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Krukoda is a NOOB
Default Radiators

So, couldn't find that much info upon this matter, and maybe I just suck at searching anyway.
Yeah, I was wondering about swapping my radiator.

Bike is vmax 1200 y.92 and they are known for operating rather hot and I was wondering of swapping radiator and placing it in front of forks.
So the old one has taken a bit beating and looks rugged.
How do I know which kind of radiator goes? since my radiator has 2 hose from down and one from up. And war is enough for that engine.

Also considering mounting radiator in front of forks.
Can I mount it at forks and get some flexible hose, that goes a long with steering?
Or better just make a bracket that holds it there?
Krukoda is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-11-2016, 05:29 PM   #2
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp
Streetfighterkz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:42 PM
Flipped Off 11 Times in 7 Posts
Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Radiators

I have a '89 Vmax. The previous owner added a switch to manually turn the cooling fan on. There is also a thermoswitch from a certain model of car (a Toyota, I think) that replaces the stock item and triggers the fan to automatically turn on at a lower temperature.

I would try those two relatively simple and cheap tricks before going through the difficulty and expense of a different radiator and/or moving it.

Later, Doug

‘74 Kawasaki H1-500
‘76 Kawasaki Kz900 Stripfighter
‘77 Kawasaki Kz1000
‘78 Kawasaki Kz1000
‘83 Kawasaki Gpz750 (Turbo Converted)
Streetfighterkz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-12-2016, 03:51 AM   #3
Krukoda
NoObie
Noobie
Krukoda is a NOOB

Yeah, Manual switch is the way to go anyway.
Its more for the look and well its cools better anyway.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #4
Kimmo57
Lazy bastard

CF Addict
Kimmo57's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 22 Times in 11 Posts
Kimmo57 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kimmo57 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kimmo57 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kimmo57 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kimmo57 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kimmo57 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kimmo57 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kimmo57 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kimmo57 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kimmo57 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kimmo57 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

How about Water wetter? ?

WOMBAT (Waste Of Money, Brain And Time)

The origiSRAD
Honda CRF150R minisupermoto
Savage silliness!! Low budget modern café project
3D printed back covers for Trailtech and other stuff: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/randomtechstuff
Kimmo57 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #5
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

How bout a custom multi layer radiator. There are over half a dozen workshops in the country that makes em. Depends on how much are you prepared to spend. I'd reckon a custom rad would cost somewhere around 300-400.

Benelli Tornado TRE Novecento 2006
EX: Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA 2002 Fighter
My homebrew blog thread thingy: Oddball Brewery
Mattson is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-12-2016, 03:02 PM   #6
Krukoda
NoObie
Noobie
Krukoda is a NOOB

Yeah that amount for my budget is a bit too much.
But yeah, think I will install double fans and some water wetter.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-14-2016, 06:48 PM   #7
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:42 PM
Flip Offs: 188
Flipped Off 34 Times in 28 Posts
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus

For stock performance, just keep the same size or slightly larger on the replacement radiator.

For mounting it on the forks, I would suggest against it as the hoses really don't like to be flexed that much and you would need 3-6" of travel depending on your turn radius.

You can frame mount it through the forks:

There is a 47 motorcycle that did it recently with fork mounting:

The hoses they are running are long (you can see them passing under the headstock), I am not sure how they cope with the constant turning.

Post up pictures with what you decide to do.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps