Swapping steering stems...1mm wall thickness bushings? - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps > Fork Swaps

Fork Swaps Fork and Front End Swap Discussion goes here

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Swapping steering stems...1mm wall thickness bushings?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #11
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:06 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Swapping steering stems...1mm wall thickness bushings?

How would welding affect the bearing race? There won't be any race on the stem. Your moving to a bigger bearing, that's why you're trying to make it bigger.

People need to relax with the whole"welding distorts shit" thing. Yes, it can distort. Welding 360 greatly reduces that. I know Honda welded every steel stem they put on to every steel yoke. It's a non-issue.

I'm not cheerleading for the weld method. The bush is good, too. But don't let one guy convince you that welding is destructive just because it's possible that he's afraid to weld it. Both methods are 100% proven reliable.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived shinyribs!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-13-2017, 06:00 PM   #12
RedLiner
GURU

Senior Fighterer
RedLiner's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:06 AM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 7 Times in 7 Posts
RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

I don't have a problem with welding a stem into a yoke. It's building up that much material on a hollow stem and the heat that it creates is what I have issues with. And the time involed especially if you are paying someone else to do it correctly isn't worth it.

If someone wanted to go through the process of stress relieving the metal it probably wouldn't be an issue but that's over complicating it when a simple bushing will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
I just want the bike to be better, stronger, faster.

Like the 6 Million Dollar Man.
RedLiner is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-13-2017, 06:14 PM   #13
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Edit myself for accuracy. My opinion, thin bushings 1mm or under, I prefer to build up with weld. Anything thick, say 2mm plus, then yes- a bushing is the way to go. That much welding would be excessive and I assume an experienced welder would suggest against that anyway. Again, JMO.

Didn't mean to sound like I was gunning for you, Red. That was intended as a blanket statement against internet alarmist, not you personally.
This user High Fived shinyribs!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-13-2017, 06:58 PM   #14
makenzie71
Fighterer
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
makenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLiner View Post
I don't have a problem with welding a stem into a yoke. It's building up that much material on a hollow stem and the heat that it creates is what I have issues with. And the time involed especially if you are paying someone else to do it correctly isn't worth it.

If someone wanted to go through the process of stress relieving the metal it probably wouldn't be an issue but that's over complicating it when a simple bushing will do.
I think some people here are oversimplifying a 1mm bushing. I discussed it in length, and he said it was something that could be done (press a larger bushing onto the stem and then shave it down), but he was not confident that it would maintain it's form going into the stem.

Welding material onto the stem was the only way we were both certain the task could be done. It's also going to be quite a bit faster.

Lastly, the stem is hollow, but only barely so. Outside diameter is 28mm and the inside is 8mm. There's a lot of material there.
makenzie71 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-13-2017, 08:29 PM   #15
RedLiner
GURU

Senior Fighterer
RedLiner's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 7 Times in 7 Posts
RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

No offense taken shiny. As a structural welder with 25+ years experience, it's just my opinion. Many ways to skin a cat. Personally I would just buy bearings with the correct dimensions and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makenzie71 View Post
I think some people here are oversimplifying a 1mm bushing. I discussed it in length, and he said it was something that could be done (press a larger bushing onto the stem and then shave it down), but he was not confident that it would maintain it's form going into the stem.

Welding material onto the stem was the only way we were both certain the task could be done. It's also going to be quite a bit faster.

Lastly, the stem is hollow, but only barely so. Outside diameter is 28mm and the inside is 8mm. There's a lot of material there.
Not oversimplified anything. If that's what you've decided, give er nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
I just want the bike to be better, stronger, faster.

Like the 6 Million Dollar Man.
RedLiner is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-13-2017, 09:16 PM   #16
makenzie71
Fighterer
makenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLiner View Post
Personally I would just buy bearings with the correct dimensions and be done with it.
I did that. Unfortunately the GSXR stem was too short. I would have loved to already be done with the project...
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-13-2017, 10:07 PM   #17
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Stem length has always been my issue. Bearing swaps would be great, but I've been lucky enough to have two with identical lengths/ bearing registers locations.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-14-2017, 01:42 PM   #18
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:06 AM
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

just grab a piece of aluminium and make a new stem , if it's going to be getting turned any way , press stem in from the front to save having to bore out yoke and bolt a head underneath
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-14-2017, 03:11 PM   #19
makenzie71
Fighterer

It certainly crossed my mind, but we're going to give welding up the ZR7 stem a go first. That's going to cost next to nothing and if it fails we'll look at other options.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-14-2017, 03:16 PM   #20
Mongoose
GURU

CF Addict
Mongoose's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:06 PM
Flipped Off 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
just grab a piece of aluminium and make a new stem , if it's going to be getting turned any way , press stem in from the front to save having to bore out yoke and bolt a head underneath
and new yokes.. i mean you're already there.. do it right..
Mongoose is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Mongoose!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps > Fork Swaps