A boring job - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Anything to do with welding, bending and fabricating things from metal goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > A boring job

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-03-2019, 12:24 AM   #1
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:03 AM
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 57 Times in 47 Posts
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default A boring job

Literally. I got to use my boring head today & thought I'd share. Apparently certain years of FZ09 and R1 have the same offset and spacing, but the FZ forks are 50/52 vs 50/54 on the R1. The stems don't swap nicely, and if you rework the stem to fit the R1 lower you have to weld it up, turn it down, then mod the stops and refinish the clamp with paint or powder. Plus you end up wasting a stem (R1) and lower (FZ).

Much easier/better to bore out the FZ lower clamp from 52 to 54mm. It's only 1mm off the wall thickness, plenty meat still there and plenty strong.

First had to set up the FZ lower, leaving a gap underneath to allow the tool a full pass.

Then measure the gap in the clamp, insert appropriate spacer, tighten bolts to eliminate play & vibration, use edge finder to locate center

Through the magic of math, vee blocks, and a height gauge I set the boring head and tool to the right size and let'er rip

Worked out well.

R1 bottom triple:

New FZ holes:

Find me on Facebook at Sebspeed Customs

Float like a Goldwing, sting like a gixxer

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
SEBSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived SEBSPEED!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-03-2019, 12:49 AM   #2
Mongoose
GURU

CF Addict
Mongoose's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:03 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: A boring job

damn thats daring to set up the head like that.. i'd have never even though about that.. let alone taking one cut.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-03-2019, 08:31 AM   #3
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
damn thats daring to set up the head like that.. i'd have never even though about that.. let alone taking one cut.

How do you mean?

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #4
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

nice work

is fork length reasonably close? how about spacing?

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #5
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
nice work

is fork length reasonably close? how about spacing?
Thanks.

I did this job for a local-ish person, not sure on the FZ fork length as I haven't seen the bike in person. He was planning to use the stock top with the R1 lower, said the spacing and offset were the same. I have a set of 05 R1 forks here if you need a measure on those?

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #6
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 3
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

not important, just curious. thought I'd read somewhere that the FZ09 forks were pretty damn long making swaps challenging.

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-03-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
Mongoose
GURU

CF Addict
Mongoose's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEBSPEED View Post
How do you mean?
I dont got the balls to measure off the machine on blocks and stick it in and cut it lol...

I always sratch cut, measure.. Then adjust it on the machine... Like a pleb
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Mongoose!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-03-2019, 07:31 PM   #8
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
I dont got the balls to measure off the machine on blocks and stick it in and cut it lol...

I always sratch cut, measure.. Then adjust it on the machine... Like a pleb
Ah, ok gotcha. I think if I didn't have the tools I have right now, it would be a different story.

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-03-2019, 10:29 PM   #9
keef
Fighter
Local Time: 06:03 PM
keef is a splendid one to beholdkeef is a splendid one to beholdkeef is a splendid one to beholdkeef is a splendid one to beholdkeef is a splendid one to beholdkeef is a splendid one to beholdkeef is a splendid one to beholdkeef is a splendid one to beholdkeef is a splendid one to beholdkeef is a splendid one to beholdkeef is a splendid one to behold
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
not important, just curious. thought I'd read somewhere that the FZ09 forks were pretty damn long making swaps challenging.
I had an 09 for about 4 years and 80,000ks. I had heard long forks, but never measured them.
But, my front end was -10mm, and the rear shock was +8mm, so it can handle a geometry change.

Nice work seb.
keef is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived keef!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal