Fork swap from smaller bikes? - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps > Fork Swaps

Fork Swaps Fork and Front End Swap Discussion goes here

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Fork swap from smaller bikes?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-20-2014, 01:05 AM   #11
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:59 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Fork swap from smaller bikes?

They're not smaller forks. He said they are the same size. Just off a smaller cc bike.
shinyribs is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-20-2014, 05:10 AM   #12
GreY2231
GURU

CF Addict
GreY2231's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:59 AM
Flip Offs: 2
Flipped Off 13 Times in 10 Posts
GreY2231 is a splendid one to beholdGreY2231 is a splendid one to beholdGreY2231 is a splendid one to beholdGreY2231 is a splendid one to beholdGreY2231 is a splendid one to beholdGreY2231 is a splendid one to beholdGreY2231 is a splendid one to beholdGreY2231 is a splendid one to beholdGreY2231 is a splendid one to beholdGreY2231 is a splendid one to beholdGreY2231 is a splendid one to behold

Yeah my problem is i don't have any forks on the TL at the moment. They were swapped to another bike. Plus the tzr from yamaha has dual disc but most i found were smaller so i won't go that route. Most were 39mm (lower) instead of stock 43. I'll just keep looking and saving.

Thanks for all the great info!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
GreY2231 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #13
medimicated420
GURU
CF Addict
Local Time: 07:59 PM
Flip Offs: 27
Flipped Off 5 Times in 5 Posts
medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Grey what's your budget on them? I usually come accross a few tl front ends a year and it may even be cheaper to ship em to ya rather than buy locally over there
medimicated420 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived medimicated420!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-20-2014, 08:21 PM   #14
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
Well, I'm sure there are specific models that have specifics that would prevent them from working. I just thought he gave those as examples only.

I still stand by former statement. Any tubes of the same diameter will be equally as strong as one another. They are for wheel location and travel only( the forks, that is). But the springs will have to be taken in to consideration when being used on a heavier bike. Whether that will refer to the strength, or just the number of springs, that will be a case by case situation.

Amorti, airways glad to see your share your wealth of super specific knowledge! Where have you been??? Haven't seen you around in a long time.
I sorta kinda lost interest in the fighters scene lately. I've been riding a 100% stock BMW f650gs single around lately and love the long plush suspension and riding position, so started looking at for example this forum instead: http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83

I've also been riding my little MSX around town and loving that too, so I thought I'd share it here: http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=100706

I also have an XJ600S basket case project which I really do need to finish up: http://www.therevcounter.co.uk/threa...uot-free-quot-!

Anyway, all of those are either stock or just have bolt-ons, and I have no facilities or time for mods in my new place. But then came back here for a browse and remembered I really like what the guys here do

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived a_morti!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-20-2014, 08:25 PM   #15
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreY2231 View Post
Yeah my problem is i don't have any forks on the TL at the moment. They were swapped to another bike. Plus the tzr from yamaha has dual disc but most i found were smaller so i won't go that route. Most were 39mm (lower) instead of stock 43. I'll just keep looking and saving.

Thanks for all the great info!

I wouldn't worry about the single disc unless you often go fast. Being in Germany I guess that's a real possibility though. If it's a decent 4 piston caliper and good sized disc (like on the Mito) then it should be just fine for normal use. The caliper on RS forks is an 80mm radial, so it's a bit smaller and I guess it won't dissipate heat as well as a full sized one.

The tubes themselves won't be an issue. Consider for example the size of forks that hold up something like an old CBX1000, they were flexy but didn't break. But as for springing a full-sized bike on one leg only, well it won't be easy to find one spring that will hold that load.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-22-2014, 02:36 AM   #16
GreY2231
GURU

CF Addict
GreY2231's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 2
Flipped Off 13 Times in 10 Posts
GreY2231 is a splendid one to beholdGreY2231 is a splendid one to beholdGreY2231 is a splendid one to beholdGreY2231 is a splendid one to beholdGreY2231 is a splendid one to beholdGreY2231 is a splendid one to beholdGreY2231 is a splendid one to beholdGreY2231 is a splendid one to beholdGreY2231 is a splendid one to beholdGreY2231 is a splendid one to beholdGreY2231 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by medimicated420 View Post
Grey what's your budget on them? I usually come accross a few tl front ends a year and it may even be cheaper to ship em to ya rather than buy locally over there
Right now just looking for stifc on ebay around $120 (€100) hoping to not get out bid but always happens at the last second. I'm guessing realistically around 300. But i need to save a bit for that. I'm looking for a set of all black forks like from kawi, R6 or something like that.

GreY2231 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #17
4cups

Out of desperation I once stuck forks off RGV250 on a Bandit 12 & even after re-springing for the weight, using heavier oil & generally pissing around for days it occurred to me that they would never work properly

The reason being that the damping is all wrong, there is nothing short of a pro rebuild that would sort that properly & that would cost more than a decent set of suitable second hand forks
  Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived !
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #18
crystal_skull
hate us cuz they ainus

CF Addict
crystal_skull's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:59 PM
Flip Offs: 26
Flipped Off 37 Times in 28 Posts
crystal_skull is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!crystal_skull is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!crystal_skull is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!crystal_skull is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!crystal_skull is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!crystal_skull is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!crystal_skull is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!crystal_skull is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!crystal_skull is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!crystal_skull is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!crystal_skull is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cups View Post
The reason being that the damping is all wrong, there is nothing short of a pro rebuild that would sort that properly & that would cost more than a decent set of suitable second hand forks
Beat me to it lol
crystal_skull is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps > Fork Swaps