Turnip's ZX6R Evo - Page 5 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Turnip's ZX6R Evo

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-14-2016, 02:13 PM   #41
TURNIP
GURU
CF Lover
TURNIP's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:57 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Tyr's '95 ZX6R Evo

Plugging away. Nothing new on the frame front-found a G-model frame for < $200 on eBay, no cracks, tiny dent on one of the main spars. Haven't heard back from the seller yet about the VIN - not spending money on a frame I can't register.

My dad knows a guy who may have "a pile" of these frames left over from a racing endeavor in the late nineties, but no word yet from that quarter either.

And likewise nothing new as far as finding someone willing to zap one or both of my existing frames for me.

I did get some bits in the mail and stick them on last night - footpegs and a fluid-pressure brake light switch.

Clearance for the sender's wiring is a little tight, but OK.

I also finished cleaning up/painting the engine and case covers. I pulled the covers and painted them separately, stuck covers from the spare engine on the motor while painting the main lump. I used Plastikote engine enamel, which I've had good results with in the past.

I also screwed around with some scrap aluminum strips, trying to figure out where I want the headlight to sit. I'll probably make the mount out of small diameter steel tubing and tabs.

Probably post up more progress tomorrow, I have a couple of ideas in the works subframe-wise.
TURNIP is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived TURNIP!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-15-2016, 01:01 PM   #42
TURNIP
GURU
CF Lover
TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Talking Re: Tyr's '95 ZX6R Evo

Woot, found a guy that'll weld up the cracks pn both frames and stick a chunk of aluminum on the broken subframe mount on my G-model for $90, which seems good. A little research shows these frames are supposedly 7004 alloy, which isn't typically heat treated-it ages to whatever strength it has in a couple weeks, apparently. Supposedly you can weld 6061 to it, which is good cuz that's what I mostly have lying around. The broken mount should only see compressive forces anyway unless pushing the bike, since it's the lower.

I threw the whole frame on the mill to cut off the remaining stumpy chunks of broken casting. Went smoothly once I realized the simplest thing to do was bolt it down through one of the swingarm pivot holes. Threw on another hold-down to reduce its inclination to rotate.

I'm no machinist, so I'm pretty pleased with how flush plumb etc I was able to get it.

The stator cover on my F1 motor is scuffed pretty well, in one place thin enough that there's a hairline crack through the aluminum. The one of the G-model motor is rashed to hell and upon closer inspection is cracked in multiple places including the hub that the stator mounts to - it wouldn't work anyway because it looks like they went to a slimmer, lower-profile stator and rotor in '98.

Even from China a new cover is $45-70 bucks plus waiting several weeks, so for now I'm cleaning up the F-model cover and filling in the rash with epoxy.

That's setting up now, so it's time for me to go rough out the replacement subby mounting tab and come up with some kind of a jig to hold it where I want it. Given that I was able to mill the remains of the broken one off flush with the frame (to within a few thou) it should just be a matter of copying the right-hand lower mount.

Plan is to make the new one a little bit oversize/drill the mount hole severely undersized in case things float around a bit during welding. Then I can frig around with it in post to make it match up enough to be pleasing.

I'm supposed to drop the parts off to the welder in Wednesday, so I have until then to try and DW on the headlight bracket - every time I try to work on this I end up staring at the shit while wandering around the shop despondently, so hopefully having a deadline will help.

I can't fux with the exhaust without having a motor in a frame with headers on it, and I really need to wait for my muffler to be here anyway, so that's on hold. I'm 98% sure I'm going to chop up the two stainless midpipes I have to make the pipe for my undertail. Pie cuts and lots of welding-I'm totes unwilling to shell $70 for a goddamn stainless U-bend.

Unless I just start blowing shit to hell with the welder.
These people High Fived TURNIP!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-15-2016, 08:03 PM   #43
TURNIP
GURU
CF Lover

Roughed out the replacement mount and made a simplistic jig to hold it roughly in place. If I had a stock G-model subframe I'd just use that as a jig, but this will be close enough, especially since any future subby will be custom made.

Also did some more work on the fork tube clamps I made out of boogered up old lower triple. No in-progress pics but I stuck them on a rotary table and cut the stumpy lumps off and then made them skinnier in the lathe.

Gonna use them for headlight mount stuff. Probably.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-16-2016, 07:20 AM   #44
Cookie2000ad
Persuasion Engineered
Cookie2000ad's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:57 PM
Flip Offs: 166
Flipped Off 59 Times in 27 Posts
Cookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CK
Default Medal Burnout Contest Winner Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrfin View Post
Pie cuts and lots of welding-I'm totes unwilling to shell $70 for a goddamn stainless U-bend.

Unless I just start blowing shit to hell with the welder.
What dia pipe are you going to be doing?

I used 90 deg stainless bends a few times they are only 10-12 or so in 2", like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90-degree-...EAAOSwnDZT0j3Z

I used jetex. I just checked ebay.com and they didn't seem to have jetex brand over there but it might be a crap ton easier than pie cuts if you can find a similar item. This one seems to have free international shipping if you can't find a US equivalent: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jetex-90-Deg...cvDTANT3IKsZeg

And you could slap 2 together if you are needing a "U". If you just want to do the work, then that's cool too!
Cookie2000ad is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Cookie2000ad!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-16-2016, 10:21 AM   #45
TURNIP
GURU
CF Lover

Thanks cookie, I didn't even think of using 90s. Durr. I like the look of multi section exhaust (as well as being a broke-ass) so I'm going to try the pie cut method first. I'm thinking it will allow me (with a bunch of work) to make the pipe flow more organically to the undertail. So many of them are straight section - bend - straight section and look faceted.
This user High Fived TURNIP!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-16-2016, 05:34 PM   #46
TURNIP
GURU
CF Lover

It'll be 2". That's the stock midpipe's diameter anyway.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-16-2016, 06:45 PM   #47
ROBBO
MAJOR FOOKIN' CATASTROPHY
ROBBO's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 643
Flipped Off 1,366 Times in 753 Posts
ROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month Default Medal Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

...ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR ALL...
ROBBO' 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post

Fucking reaper better fear me.
ROBBO is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived ROBBO!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #48
TURNIP
GURU
CF Lover

Is that one of those half-frames that you bolt onto chopped off legs?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-16-2016, 06:57 PM   #49
TURNIP
GURU
CF Lover

If I had a bender... and some practice... :P
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-16-2016, 07:56 PM   #50
ROBBO
MAJOR FOOKIN' CATASTROPHY
ROBBO's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 643
Flipped Off 1,366 Times in 753 Posts
ROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month Default Medal Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrfin View Post
If I had a bender... and some practice... :P

DO ITTTTTT!

...ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR ALL...
ROBBO' 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post

Fucking reaper better fear me.
ROBBO is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes