question about machining a piston - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Making Power

Making Power Anything to do with fabricating and modifying engines, carbs, ignition, etc. goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > question about machining a piston

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-07-2016, 11:51 AM   #11
mpls|cafe|racer
HipsterKillerGarage

mpls|cafe|racer's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:17 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 125 Times in 97 Posts
mpls|cafe|racer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!mpls|cafe|racer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!mpls|cafe|racer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!mpls|cafe|racer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!mpls|cafe|racer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!mpls|cafe|racer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!mpls|cafe|racer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!mpls|cafe|racer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!mpls|cafe|racer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!mpls|cafe|racer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!mpls|cafe|racer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: question about machining a piston

There's also doing it in the engine, but there's a significant amount of assembly/disassembly to do each valve. It does, however, guarantee that you will have everything dead center and at the correct angles.

Good explanation here. This is the way I was always taught to do it because it's removed the most "human error" variables.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/show....php?p=1019296

WAY DOWN HERE ON LEVEL 7, HIDING FROM THE RADIATION.
mpls|cafe|racer is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #12
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:17 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Just out of curiosity, how deep of a cut are you looking to make?
shinyribs is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-08-2016, 12:44 PM   #13
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:17 AM
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

this was what I used last time I had to machine a piston

a pot a nice fit on the piston held with the gudgeon pin with a bush inside with tapped holes in either end
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-08-2016, 06:24 PM   #14
dbdesigns

Fighterer
dbdesigns's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
dbdesigns is a splendid one to beholddbdesigns is a splendid one to beholddbdesigns is a splendid one to beholddbdesigns is a splendid one to beholddbdesigns is a splendid one to beholddbdesigns is a splendid one to beholddbdesigns is a splendid one to beholddbdesigns is a splendid one to beholddbdesigns is a splendid one to beholddbdesigns is a splendid one to beholddbdesigns is a splendid one to behold

appx .03 on intake and appx .055 on exhaust
set it up on a sine bare and bypassed the quick clamp for a better hold on the piston
worked pretty good
Thanks for all the info
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0603162033.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	85634   Click image for larger version

Name:	0603162051a.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	85642  

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Diamon...07762669330809

My Website http://dbackdesigns.com
dbdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-09-2016, 08:34 AM   #15
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

.055 inch or mm? If inch, DAMN! With that much interference I would have been looking for another way to fix the issue. A valve hidden behind .055" of valve relief pocket can't breathe anyway. Anyway, jobs done now.
shinyribs is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-09-2016, 04:00 PM   #16
dbdesigns

Fighterer
dbdesigns's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
dbdesigns is a splendid one to beholddbdesigns is a splendid one to beholddbdesigns is a splendid one to beholddbdesigns is a splendid one to beholddbdesigns is a splendid one to beholddbdesigns is a splendid one to beholddbdesigns is a splendid one to beholddbdesigns is a splendid one to beholddbdesigns is a splendid one to beholddbdesigns is a splendid one to beholddbdesigns is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
.055 inch or mm? If inch, DAMN! With that much interference I would have been looking for another way to fix the issue. A valve hidden behind .055" of valve relief pocket can't breathe anyway. Anyway, jobs done now.
inch...the were changing the angle on them...didn't touch one side and appx .055 cut on other side...they're for a pulling truck motor

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Diamon...07762669330809

My Website http://dbackdesigns.com
dbdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-29-2017, 10:52 PM   #17
beezwiz
GURU
CF Addict
beezwiz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:17 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 14 Times in 8 Posts
beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Just out of curiosity... does it matter if the piston is cast or forged?
beezwiz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Making Power