What wheel/tire for a 85 ninja? - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps

Street Fighter Swaps From Fork Swaps to Swing Arm Swaps

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > What wheel/tire for a 85 ninja?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #1
NBraun
Fighter
NBraun's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:20 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
NBraun is well likedNBraun is well likedNBraun is well likedNBraun is well likedNBraun is well likedNBraun is well liked
Default What wheel/tire for a 85 ninja?

So it looks like the swingarm is set up for a 17mm axle.

I measured the swingarm, and it's 15" from the front the rear most part of the axle slot. 10" wide at the axle plates, and 6" wide at the front.

The stock tire size is 130x90x16.

I was hoping to run a 17" wheel I have, but it contacts the swingarm. I think right now my options are either run a 16" wheel, extend the swingarm ( i don't want to do this really), or possible find a 17" tire that will work.

I honestly am not quite sure where to even start looking. Do you guys have any ideas as to what bikes to look at, or what size wheel/tire I can really get away with?

Thanks!
NBraun is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-09-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:20 PM
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: What wheel/tire for a 85 ninja?

just to compound your woes, will you get chain run with the width of tyre you want ? plenty supermoto style bikes run 17" 150 tyres
yantosh is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #3
NBraun
Fighter
NBraun is well likedNBraun is well likedNBraun is well likedNBraun is well likedNBraun is well likedNBraun is well liked

That's another thing I forgot about. Right now I don't have an engine in the frame, and I don't plan on staying with a stock engine, so there may be some wiggle room as far as chain run.

The stock 750 has a 120/80/18 tire as far as I can tell. So I suppose the 16" would still be a step up as far as performance goes, but I figured if i'm going through the trouble of swapping the swingarm, and I want to be able to get a performance wheel/tire combo too.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-09-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
yantosh

yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

I fitted a 180 to an early gpz900r, most things are possible, just depends how far the rabbit hole you want to go
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #5
NBraun
Fighter

What did you end up doing to make it fit?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #6
yantosh

fitted an arm from an frz1000, offset the drive sprocket a little and machined down the sprocket carrier on the cbr1000f wheel
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #7
yantosh

it was 21yr ago ,so specifics are sketchy
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-09-2017, 07:30 PM   #8
NBraun
Fighter

After doing some looking online it looks like the swingarm will fit a 150. The wheel I have has a 180/55/17 right now so I think if I mount a 150/60 tire it should fit.

The wheel has a 20mm axle, the swingarm has 17mm slots. Would it be better mill out the swingarm slots to accept a 20mm axle, or to run a 17mm axle and make spacers that take up the difference between the bearing and the axle?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-09-2017, 08:31 PM   #9
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp
Streetfighterkz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 11 Times in 7 Posts
Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default What wheel/tire for a 85 ninja?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBraun View Post
The wheel I have has a 180/55/17 right now so I think if I mount a 150/60 tire it should fit.

It doesn't work that way. You currently have a 5.5" wide inside-to-inside (I'm guessing) rim which is about 6.5" wide. Going from a 180 to a 150 won't change the rim width plus even if you can stretch a 150 to fit the wide rim you'll kill handling. To properly use a 150 you'll need a 4.0" wide rim.

Later, Doug

74 Kawasaki H1-500
76 Kawasaki Kz900 Stripfighter
77 Kawasaki Kz1000
78 Kawasaki Kz1000
83 Kawasaki Gpz750 (Turbo Converted)
Streetfighterkz is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Streetfighterkz!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-09-2017, 09:58 PM   #10
NBraun
Fighter

Well shoot, i suppose you're right. I guess i'm still on the lookout then.

I guess I should also ask. Is it worth the trouble of fitting a 150 tire? I plan to go for a vintage race bike theme, and I want the bike to perform well, but is there a big enough difference between a 130 to a 150 that makes custom fitting a wheel to the swingarm worth it?

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps