Looking at a small-ish Sharp mill, thoughts? - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Anything to do with welding, bending and fabricating things from metal goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Looking at a small-ish Sharp mill, thoughts?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-02-2018, 05:43 PM   #1
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:08 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 
Default Looking at a small-ish Sharp mill, thoughts?

Came across this.

Sharp Vertical Mill, single phase, good condition.

What's a reasonable price for it? Any guesses on tool holding? The guy isn't sure (a friend of his died, he's selling it for the widow). Any guess on weight? Looks smaller than a bridgeport so I'm guessing I should be able to throw it in my '73 Chevy C20 Camper Special (3/4 ton but almost 1 ton) with utility bed no problem.

Anything specific I should check out on it? I don't really have room for a full size but I can manage to fit this.

Loading would be by forklift, unloading will be by cherry picker... that's gonna be interesting.

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-02-2018, 06:00 PM   #2
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Looking at a small-ish Sharp mill, thoughts?

To compare: currently I have a little HF 44991 (aka Sieg X2) POS. It's way better than nothing, but not very good. I don't really want to dump money into a DRO on something as small as it is (by the time I install the vise I don't have much room to the spindle, if I run a drill chuck I almost have to run stubby bits)

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-02-2018, 06:54 PM   #3
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:08 PM
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 57 Times in 47 Posts
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

No idea on spindle taper, but that unit would be a huge step up from what you have. Simply for the adjustable knee. Make sure to check the ways to make sure it's not clapped out, check motor for noises and quill for play. Probably weighs about 750lbs. Should be fine in your truck.

Find me on Facebook at Sebspeed Customs

Float like a Goldwing, sting like a gixxer

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
SEBSPEED is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-02-2018, 07:01 PM   #4
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Also, make sure you negotiate for the package, I see a fair bit of extra tooling there that will cost you a lot to buy separately.

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-02-2018, 08:27 PM   #5
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Fighter of the Month 

I take it to check the ways I hook up a dial indicator, wiggle, move, wiggle, repeat, see how much it changes (as I should be able to tighten them)

how much play in the quill is reasonable?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-02-2018, 09:42 PM   #6
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

Any play in the quill is bad as it will get worse as it extends. It's an indication of bad bearings (which could be replaced, depending on how adventurous you are).

Take a quick look on google for how to inspect machine ways. Ideally they will be very smooth and even and show signs of scraping, worst case they will show hard wear from lack of cleaning and lubrication. Gibs can be tightened to compensate for a worn area, but will then be tight in a less worn area.

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-02-2018, 11:20 PM   #7
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp
Streetfighterkz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:08 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 11 Times in 7 Posts
Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

That looks quite a bit like my Select 6x26 mill. I bought mine in pretty good condition with a bunch off endmills, collets, and a vice for $1000. Had to rent a engine hoist to take apart and move it to my garage.

Later, Doug

74 Kawasaki H1-500
76 Kawasaki Kz900 Stripfighter
77 Kawasaki Kz1000
78 Kawasaki Kz1000
83 Kawasaki Gpz750 (Turbo Converted)
Streetfighterkz is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-03-2018, 01:28 AM   #8
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Fighter of the Month 

That might be an option. Removing the head would make me feel way better about it not falling over etc in the back of the truck etc.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-03-2018, 11:08 AM   #9
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Fighter of the Month 

Regarding tying it down: what should I attach to on it? Is there such thing as too tight (other than the limits of the mount points on my truck)?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-03-2018, 11:43 AM   #10
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

See if you can get your straps between the pulley box and the horizontal head shaft. Minimum of 2, one to each side. Then do a minimum of 2 on the bottom also. Bring sling straps in case the hooks won't pass through, or use the strap end of spare ratchet tie downs to loop through and tie off to give a hook hold. Tight as you like without folding your box sides in, better it you drill through the bed to the frame rail, better yet if you borrow a trailer as your picker may not extend high enough to lift the machine from the bed.

When I hauled my Bridgeport, I lagged 2x4's to the trailer floor all around the machine base to keep it from shifting, and i used 4 large cargo ratchet straps off the top of the column pulling to each corner to keep it from tipping. It never moved an inch even though I had to pull it from Long Island through NYC roads which are like driving through a mine field.

As I do with any type of load, I stopped 10-20min into the drive to recheck the straps to make sure nothing moved, settled, or came loose. It was all tight all the way home.

I did break my machine down, I brought a pallet to lay the head on and I simply strapped it down after laying it in there with the forklift. Table was laid on a moving blanket in the bed.

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
This user High Fived SEBSPEED!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal